What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok... so this is how the day ended:

B: Coffee with lactofree and leftover cheese sticks
S: Loads of green tea
L: Pan fried cajun chicken and spinach, courgette and broccoli soup with 2 dollops of greek yogurt
D: Some manchego cheese with some pecans, a little bit of leftover chicken, 4 slices of ham with cream cheese

I might have some chia seeds or something else later...

Reactions: 6 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it's not Ben and jerrys chocolate fudge brownie, but as something cold to have a dessert when the need takes it will do! One 500g tub fatty total greek yogurt, half cup of whey protein powder (cookies and cream this time) and 1/8 cup Splenda.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Belivta breakfast biscuits - could not eat breakfast before leaving the house to get to work - have yet to discover a breakfast I can take to work which does not include carbs.................. still learning how to deal with type 2 !

cheese (lactose free) with tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and a little low fat mayo with some crisps...... Lunch

cooked chicken, new potatoes and cabbage for Tea.

One apple eaten between breakfast and lunch.

I know from testing myself (kit I brought as doctor does not support testing for type 2) that potatoes are not bad for me - all breads raised the bg levels.
So far I have only occasionally got bg readings below double figures and they seem to be from avoiding all carbs and usually occur during the afternoon!
Hoping my Desmond day will provide some guidance - attending this Friday.

The others have made a few suggestions, but you could also consider cooked bacon, roasted chicken thinghs or cooked quality sausages. Neither the bacon nor chicken have any carbs whatsoever, and the sausages could be very low carb, if you choose carefully. All of those can be cooked in advance.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody :).
B. Raspberries and Greek style yoghurt

L. Half avocado with Camambert and bacon bits ( left over from previous day)

D. 2 chicken thighs. Raspberries and yoghurt. :)

Reactions: 9 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay, just finished Tax Credit renewal - Love it or hate it, dealing with the HMRC is a nightmare, this is my first time as a self employed and well.... I deserve my glass or 3 of Prosecco, it goes so nicely with Stilton n Olives (don't judge me, its all I had in the fridge). :)

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hello folks. Just discovered some great low carb, tasty frozen ready meals for when you're in a hurry, or just don't feel like cooking. I had this fish dish yesterday & found it fresh, tasty, filling & super low carb. Perfect portion size too. Some great options in this particular range too. I work shifts & often don't get to eat a meal until I get home. It's nice to have something in the freezer that only takes a few minutes to cook & that I don't have to cook from scratch when I'm just too tired, but still want something hot and nutritious. Good health everyone.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: 15 people

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
b. tuna 50g,sweetcorn 40g,light mayo 15g and 2 egg omlete = 7.6 carbs,231 cals
l. ham 100g,lettuce 1 leaf,5 slices of cucumber,20g cheese,1 tomatoe = 9.4 carbs,187 cals
s.chicken 100g,swede 100g,cabbage 100g,butter beans 80g, = 21.2 carbs, 231 cals

Last edited by a moderator:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yup my carbs gen under 30, cals 6-800 ave ,but still cave in for now,hoping ill get stronger as time goes on
Are you doing the home version of the Newcastle diet? How long are you planning to stay on such a low calorie regime? I am still thinking about embarking on it myself (ND with real food), but probably no longer for 2 weeks at this stage (if I can cope with it in the first place!). What about your insulin, are you monitored by a Dr or nurse?

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Last time I went low carbon my body screamed for carbs and my resolve collapsed after 3 months. My DN said I changed too quickly and she may be right as I'm adverse to change and impulsive! Any tips on how to start and maintain a low carb approach? I'm a natural grains and veg person rather than meat eating. I eat fish a couple times a week, but it's being without carbs and having headaches, low blood pressure and cravings that undermine what is an otherwise effective diet for me.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Question folks:

I love the idea of courgette pasta (strips of courgette to look like tagliatelle, I think)

I do this with courgettes. Best eaten immediately as they get sloppy later. They work very well. If I make stir fries, I add them right at the end and cook them quick on a high heat. I use a shredder which slices them in a gif!

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you doing the home version of the Newcastle diet? How long are you planning to stay on such a low calorie regime? I am still thinking about embarking on it myself (ND with real food), but probably no longer for 2 weeks at this stage (if I can cope with it in the first place!). What about your insulin, are you monitored by a Dr or nurse?

When I eat very low carb, I tend to feel naturally less hungry, so much so that my meals are unintentionally very low calorie as well as low carb. However, I never have done it intentionally but I did calculated a few months ago and yes I was eating about the same amount of calories that hognose is mentioning...

Reactions: 7 people

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
just dumping all/most of the carbs i can, low cals aming for 6-750 aday trying to lower my weight untill its alot better 11-11.5 stone would be the weight i should be at 5ft 7..??

still testing diff foods via meter and and food portions from the carb and cals book

Reactions: 7 people

Jo123

I have building work at the moment so no kitchen and I am sorry to say my daily breakfast is 2 pieces of 90% chocolate and a mug of unsweetened soya milk. Lunch is half a raw pepper, half an avocado, and some walnuts mixed in the a small teaspoon of xylitol, small teaspoon of cocoa and a bit of extra virgin olive oil to mix it up. The last sounds bizarre but it satisfies my sweet tooth and I do need the calories!

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i have strong craving for peanut butter which brand would anyone recomend

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
So far today I've had 3 rashers of back bacon with melted cheddar & spinach for breakfast, and then for lunch - "spinach surrender" with a big leafy salad, a few cherry toms and slices of chorizo.

Reactions: 5 people

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a take away breakfast you could put some full fat Greek yoghurt or Alpro yoghurt (both low carb but read the carton as some are lower than others) into a small Tupperware container with a handful of berries and sprinkling of nuts/seeds/flax.

This is what I do when I know I will be visiting a motorway service station only I have another container with a second course of a boiled egg, ham slices, tomato, cucumber, celery and avocado. :cool:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have strong craving for peanut butter which brand would anyone recomend
I would recommend the one with the lowest carb value. Yesterday in the Co-op their organic brand of Whole Earth peanut butter was much higher in carbs (14.2) than the non-organic one I usually get online (7.4) so I ended up with the Co-op's own brand (7.2). I hope it tastes ok.

Jo123

I would recommend the one with the lowest carb value. Yesterday in the Co-op their organic brand of Whole Earth peanut butter was much higher in carbs (14.2) than the non-organic one I usually get online (7.4) so I ended up with the Co-op's own brand (7.2). I hope it tastes ok.

Do you know that is a good point but I do wonder how accurate the carb readings are. With yoghurt I pay a fortune for the total greek 0% fat yoghurt as it is the lowest carb zero fat yoghurt I can find, but I do wonder! I did see a programme a few years ago which tested things and most of the food was way out of what it stated on the packet with regard to fat, quite surprising. Other things I pay more money to buy the lowest carb and don't know if it is worth it.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody :)

B. Blackberries with Greek yoghurt

L., after swimming, 1 sausage, a rasher of bacon, a fried egg, 4 mushrooms and a slice of black pudding.

D., will be , 2 tiny slices of Sukrin seed bread with Brie and raspberries with cream. :)