Really struggling. Type2

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have been diagnosed just over a year and finding this still hard to get used to. I did well in the first 3 months but lapsed and went into Metformin now I've been given gliclazide 80 mg twice a day. I'm gutted and scared I seem to have lost my way with it all. I feel really fed up with it. I am being told I'm in denial but I don't think I am I can't ever forget I've got it , every time I eat I remember so can't deny it . I think I'm in need of encouragement and hope this site will help me to re focus .

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Tina321

Have you considered that you are still grieving for the life you had before diabetes came along? This article might help you understand what you are possibly experiencing.

The 5 Stages of Grief.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

Tell us a bit about what you are eating now as opposed to when you first started formulating an eating plan that worked and we will see if we can help.

You are not alone as many people start off with the best of intentions and then it all becomes too much for them so don't beat yourself up about it. It does not mean that you cannot refocus and I am sure the support here will help.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Tina I am sorry to hear things have got difficult for you. who is telling you you are in denial?
It sounds like your finding it tough which d definitely is tough at times and especially at the beginning times for people. I am wondering what your support net work is? Like do friends family get it? Or thought of having a space to explore how you feel about it with like a counsellor?

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Tina, welcome :)

What changed after three months? Do you test your blood sugars or just have the periodic HbA1c tests (and what have they been)?

Sorry for the questions, but it will help us to help you.

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I stopped being so good and then put on about 6 pounds and then stupidly gave up. I have been so angry about it. I'm not obese I have tried to be healthyish all my adult life so I didn't get it as it runs in my family as does obesity so I foolishly thought if I didn't get over weight I would get it ..... Wrong !
I know it's a psychological battle for me and I'm really struggling getting to grips with it. I'm a strong independent successful professional but this ! It's beat me at the moment . Just typing this makes me cry ! I know what I have to do and asking for help on here I think is a good step even though I feel angry , stupid, weak and dramatic !
I'm going to phone doctors and ask for my HB results I couldn't even ask last week, I just said I don't want to know !! How daft am I ?
Thank you for your reply. I did contact a support group 2 weeks ago and work prevents me from going as its in the afternoons

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Omg I've just seen all the replies thank you all so much. Why am I now sitting here crying ? I'm a mess haha 1 kind word and pow ! I'm reduced to a blubbering mess . Thank you all for your kind responses . No I hadn't thought it may be grief I will read your link when I can. I am trying to eat all the right foods and I do then I just get really angry and eat all the wrong foods then feel guilty then I go round and round this horrid cycle .

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I've just spoken to Drs and my HbA1c test is now 83 in a year it's gone 52 to 55 to 60 to 83 .
I don't think my friends do get it, I don't get it I swing from being dramatic about it or laid back. I get told not to eat sugar ! I don't show it because it's not right but this makes me cross inside, I'm told to loose weight again I want to shout 'don't you think i know that ' they don't get it's like being on a life diet, they don't get that every day 3 times or more I have to think about what I can or can't eat . My bloods are averaging around 15 to 20 some days around 10 others 25 +. Oh goodness I'm off again ! At this rate I'll dehydrate

Jo123

Oh Tina, sending you a big hug! I had a meltdown on Sunday re my building work so you have my sympathy.

Jo123

You can sort this out, have you got a blood glucose monitor, I have and I really needed it to sort out my prediabetes, without it I have no doubt I would have gone on to full blown diabetes. I tested everything I eat at the beginning, I found low carb reduced my readings to normal levels.I now have a normal hba1c, but I have to watch everything I eat but I feel so much better.
Someone who knows how to do it will tag Daisy and she will post her guide to managing your diabetes. It is hard at first, but then it becomes easy and to be honest I am frightened of diabetic complications and that spurs me not to overeat or eat things that send my blood glucose high.

I was like you in that I wasn't overweight and had a normal bmi and exercised and I thought it was really frustrating that I was even prediabetic.

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tina321 . Oh dear I am sorry you are feeling so upset. I've been through a few months where I came off my diet and now I've climbed back on to the exercise and diet wagon. It is small steps that will add up to a big achievement. Try taking a day at a time, planning one thing you will do each day and then congratulating yourself on your achievement. I use myfitnesspal to log my food. I like it as I can log my exercise too and it then gives me extra calories. I like the motivation. :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the very large 'club' of diabetics! We've all been thru various degrees of 'why me?' etc. Yes, diet is the key and do follow daisy's advice when she posts; basically low carb. The weight should come down and so should the blood sugar. If they don't do let us know and the GP of course.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Tina and thanks for introducing me to erin hanson via your avatar.
How different do you feel now from what you were telling us just over a year ago after losing your mum and grandmother? I do hope you have glimpsed a light at the end of the tunnel. We can help you get there.

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I've just spoken to Drs and my HbA1c test is now 83 in a year it's gone 52 to 55 to 60 to 83 .
I don't think my friends do get it, I don't get it I swing from being dramatic about it or laid back. I get told not to eat sugar ! I don't show it because it's not right but this makes me cross inside, I'm told to loose weight again I want to shout 'don't you think i know that ' they don't get it's like being on a life diet, they don't get that every day 3 times or more I have to think about what I can or can't eat . My bloods are averaging around 15 to 20 some days around 10 others 25 +. Oh goodness I'm off again ! At this rate I'll dehydrate

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time (hugs), but you will get stronger, and you will be able to control it, people here can help you find your way through it. Drink lots of water and keep posting and reading the forum. I totally understand that feeling : its like being on a lifetime diet.... yes it is... but we can do it!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tina firstly hugggggggggggsssssss!!!!!
Your not irrational or dramatic you sound overwhelmed which d can do. You can do this! Look at what you have had before hb wise. To be honest regardless although important of hb what about you! I hear you are finding it hard, with little support and I get the sense have gone through a lot? Elizabeth kurber Ross spent her life writing about grief which comes on all different ways. I am thinking you have us at the forum who else can you have to give you a good strong support through this time. Have you considered someone one to one? Like a counsellor? Your diabetic nurse can be so helpful and your doctor if your relationship with them is ok to talk. Your 100% right people without d struggle to understand. If it helps my family did an experiment with me to understand it. They all are, pretended to inject with a straw, count the food and any reaction like hypo they copied day or night. That takes commitment I know but after a day they gave up and after that simply said," what do you need?" I wonder if getting love ones more involved in terms of understanding might help

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone , I am very encouraged by your support and understanding. I have ordered the book diabetis burn out it looks good , I've got myfitnesspall and I'm going to Wales tomorrow with a friend to find a mountain with the aim to get to the top and leave this mood there
Thank you all x

Reactions: 15 people
G

graj0

Thank you everyone , I am very encouraged by your support and understanding. I have ordered the book diabetis burn out it looks good , I've got myfitnesspall and I'm going to Wales tomorrow with a friend to find a mountain with the aim to get to the top and leave this mood there
Thank you all x
There's a lot to take on board after diagnosis and it will affect everyone in different ways. In my case there was so many relatives, fat and thin, type I and type II, that id didn't bat an eyelid when diagnosed.
Interestingly, because my type I relatives were always carb counting, I thought I should cut down. Quite the opposite my GP said and it took me 15 years to find out how wrong he was. It was because drugs like Gliclazide will actually help you gain weight, my wish to lose weight and remove anything that made that job more difficult that I lowered my carb intake about 2 years ago.
I was able to avoid going onto insulin, come off Gliclazide, come off Januvia and even better still come off Atorvastatin, simply because low carbs meant low BG and low cholesterol, a no brainer for me.
I think it's a brilliant idea to leave your mood at the top of a mountain, visulisation is an incredibly powerful tool. Don't beat yourself up, today is the first day of the rest of your life and this is where it all changes. Just have to get some rules in place.
All the best, enjoy your mountain.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read your post. Unfortunately it can take time to get used to it all and just when you think you are on track you go off the rails (again). I had a couple of those moments last week and it can be hard to get back on track mentally. I will tag @daisy1 to post you out some great information to read through (sorry if you've already read it). Diabetes is a lifelong condition but never forget you are not alone. You have all the members on the forum to support you. Sending you lots of hugs and a :)

Tina321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Graj0 it's great to hear you came off Gliclazide it's not good to hear these drugs help you to put weight on ! Was you able to loose weight with them or did you stop taking them first ? I started them yesterday and I hate the fact I have to take more tablets it just makes me feel a failure !
Thank you for your kind words too.
4ratbags thank you I think I've been off the rails for about 4 weeks now but I'm going to get back on it. I am going to make this site my friend and try every day to communicate firstly for encouragement then for information and hopefully to be able to offer support myself one day !

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember we all need to pull over check our maps sometimes so we can find the road we need. awesome plans you have!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Graj0 it's great to hear you came off Gliclazide it's not good to hear these drugs help you to put weight on ! Was you able to loose weight with them or did you stop taking them first ? I started them yesterday and I hate the fact I have to take more tablets it just makes me feel a failure !
Thank you for your kind words too.
4ratbags thank you I think I've been off the rails for about 4 weeks now but I'm going to get back on it. I am going to make this site my friend and try every day to communicate firstly for encouragement then for information and hopefully to be able to offer support myself one day !
Note that weight gain with Gliclazide is not due to the tablets but the fact that the extra insulin it triggers enables to body to make more use of the carbs you eat, so these need to be kept under control.