Testing, Testing.....

Mustangsalb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey everyone

I am new to the forum and this may have been asked before but here goes.

My GP has said to start testing, however just to get into the routine of doing it so hasn't said how often I should do it. I just wondered how often everyone tests, I have been doing it first thing in the morning and then 2 hours after breakfast just to begin with.

Many thanks

Sal

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I test before and 2 hours after each meal, bedtime and before I drive. I think a lot of people do roughly the same.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Typically first thing in the morning (fasting), before dinner and 2 hours after starting dinner. Sometimes bedtime as well. I don't normally do breakfast and lunch because I know what they do (or don't do).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends on your reasons for testing. If you want to find a suitable eating plan that you can sustain forever, then you need to test before and 2 hours after you start to eat, keep a food diary and record those levels alongside the food eaten. You can do this every meal time, or pick and choose your meals, until you have learnt which foods your body can or can't tolerate, and in what portion sizes. You can also test as soon as you get up to keep an eye on your fasting levels, and before bedtime to see what is happening at the end of the day. It is entirely up to you.

Reactions: 5 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested when I got up then before and 2 hours after every meal at first...then bedtime. Once I had some idea what foods affected my BG I started testing when I got up, before dinner and then bedtime. Sometimes a random test just to keep check but feel much more confident now and feel less need to over test. If I eat something new I test just to make sure my bg is okay with it

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sound sad but mines up to 20 a day. I do this for the following reasons: before 2 hours after food, before and after exercise then 2 hours after that and then 2 hours after that. Before and waking up, driving before and after. I have a job where I am constantly focusing so I find my energy drops with that often to so every 50 minutes I check. Also check if emotional, unwell or period. Sounds loads I know but I am just sensitive to the insulin so it's best I do. You will find your own pathway with it with experimenting

Reactions: 5 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
I test when i get up then before meals and 2 hours after because my levels are all over the place at the moment

Mustangsalb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I've been testing every day, my levels have ranged from 12-18, tonight they've read at 9.2 is it normal to drop that much?

Sorry, people in another thread said to ask questions so I'm asking :)

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've been testing every day, my levels have ranged from 12-18, tonight they've read at 9.2 is it normal to drop that much?

Sorry, people in another thread said to ask questions so I'm asking :)
Your numbers reflect on what you have eaten/drank prior to testing so you must have eaten food that hasn't sent your levels up as much or maybe drunk more water or exercised???...( assuming you aren't on medication )

Mustangsalb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you :) I am on medication, literally started Saturday and only on 1 tablet a day at the moment - looking to move to 2 a day next week

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you :) I am on medication, literally started Saturday and only on 1 tablet a day at the moment - looking to move to 2 a day next week
Could just be your body adjusting to the medication then. That's just a guess as I am not on medication myself...Hope everything gets better for you soon :)

Reactions: 3 people