multi-auto-immune

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there all. I have been Type 1 since 2000. Fairly well controlled but

I have three auto-immune conditions and would welcome hearing from other such folk

I have absolutely no pattern to my bgm numbers every day. My overall HbA1c is about 7.5, but I have a sweet tooth and do a lot of exercise.

Over to you kind folk.

Brian Thomas

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Hi :) I have type one and then developed an under active thyroid. All 4 type ones in my family have this added immuine disorder.I also have endometriosis which is classed as auto-immune.

I can be very frustrating as many of my symptoms overlap so I can never be sure which disease is behind it and therefore what to do. Is my vision off because my diabetes is in swing or because I'm tried from my thyroid? Am I tried because of my thyroid or because my diabetes is taking too much out of me? Or am I tried because of the pain from endometriosis? I just try to think about my previous few days and see if I can pinpoint something I can work with. (sleep more if thyroid, get up in middle of night to test blood if I suspect something is going on).

It sure isn't fun but we can do it :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I have three auto-immune conditions and would welcome hearing from other such folk

I have absolutely no pattern to my bgm numbers every day. My overall HbA1c is about 7.5, but I have a sweet tooth and do a lot of exercise.

Over to you kind folk.

Brian Thomas

Morning, there are a few people with multiple auto immune conditions, unfortunately they do go hand in hand with diabetes. I have 3 with a 4th pending.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @briantaffy. I too was diagnosed type 1 in 2000. I've had pretty terrible control over the years but am finally getting it in check now. I also have an underactive thyroid but consider myself quite fortunate not to have any others given how bad I've been over the years

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Some diabetics can develop cluster auto immune conditions .
This is a few or a couple of them sometimes even not knowing "how"
they have caught them .

Yes the thyroid conditions is known as being linked to diabetes .
Either the hypothyroid (underactive)
hyperthyroid (overactive) can be relevant with diabetes .

Coeliac a (gluten allergy)
Is also seen linked with diabetes too .
Consultants do see this a lot with some diabetics .

Lowered vitamin levels can lower the immune system too .
Making some people more prone to catching bugs or viruses .

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Over to you kind folk.

Brian Thomas
Hi, Brian, i have a few autoimmune disorders, and several in my family have one, I feel it would be good if consultants discussed the whole picture more than they usually do. I have found control more complicated in the years since getting hypothyroid disease. I came across this review - "Type one diabetes and poly glandular autoimmune syndrome"
World J Diabetes. 2015 Feb 15; 6(1): 67–79.
Published online 2015 Feb 15. doi: 10.4239/wjd.v6.i1.67
PMCID: PMC4317318

Last edited by a moderator:

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. I too have hypothyroid, although am a t2 does make it tough to know which is making me tired!!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :) Im type 1 (diagnosed over 4 years ago) and today I was diagnosed with another autoimmune disease - Hashimoto. It leads to underactive thyroid. I believe it affects my sugar levels

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @briantaffy. I too was diagnosed type 1 in 2000. I've had pretty terrible control over the years but am finally getting it in check now. I also have an underactive thyroid but consider myself quite fortunate not to have any others given how bad I've been over the years
Is your underactive thyroid under good control too Natalie? My mum had it. My middle brother has Type 1 diabetes just like me - he has better control than me as he is religious on eating habits. His only exercise is as a rock drummer.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is your underactive thyroid under good control too Natalie? My mum had it. My middle brother has Type 1 diabetes just like me - he has better control than me as he is religious on eating habits. His only exercise is as a rock drummer.

Yes and no...underactive thyroid reasonably under control...I say this because following my most recent set of bloods the dosage of levothyroxine was increased by 25mg. This was a few months ago now and I've not had any further tests to see if there is any improvement as yet. Having said that...I've noticed that I feel a lot less tired than I did...but again that could also be due to following LCHF diet

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi, I too have several- I have type 1 and hypothyroid. I also have low vitamin D and polycystic ovaries and SAD so never know what is causing my problems. Life is fun

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
Type 1 Diabetes, Hypothyroid, Colitis and recently Rheumatoid Arthritis, all auto immune

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sarcoidosis. I put the tiredness and dry mouth down to that until I moved and changed GP surgeries, had blood tests and diagnosed type 2.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had arthritic knees for the last 5 years - bought an aluminium support [£500!!] but dumped it and started going to the gym - knees are no worse and I regularly spin twice a week as well as bike ride to work. Plus ca change! I did not realise arthritis was auto-immune. I go to my diabetic check up in 2 weeks - which no doubt will cause much lafter amongst the experts.

NB I have had DH for 15 years - a variant on coeliac condition. They gave me a new "licensed" pill to take [long word...sulpho.....] and it nearly killed me - put me in hospital for a week! I can eat "mildly illegal" food and not break out into a rash.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had arthritic knees for the last 5 years - bought an aluminium support [£500!!] but dumped it and started going to the gym - knees are no worse and I regularly spin twice a week as well as bike ride to work. Plus ca change! I did not realise arthritis was auto-immune. I go to my diabetic check up in 2 weeks - which no doubt will cause much lafter amongst the experts.

NB I have had DH for 15 years - a variant on coeliac condition. They gave me a new "licensed" pill to take [long word...sulpho.....] and it nearly killed me - put me in hospital for a week! I can eat "mildly illegal" food and not break out into a rash.

Did my first run for two years, to test my arthritic knees. I finished a resounding 69th out of 70 - 5k in 40 minutes. Yet I did it and I finished! Fellow runners gave me encouragement. All on grass. Sunny. My knees did not hurt [they never have done since diagnosis of CA some 5 years ago] but I simply ran/limped around! So there is dog left in the old life yet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sarcoidosis. I put the tiredness and dry mouth down to that until I moved and changed GP surgeries, had blood tests and diagnosed type 2.

My adult son has this and a few other conditions, but not diabetes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have a few other autoimmune conditions as well.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm Type 2 and have Hypothyroidism. I also have an occasional flare up of Uvietis which is inflammation of the Iris and is auto immune

M

mrspuddleduck

I have nine autoimmune diseases, to be honest I sometimes forget one or two cos there's so many, it all just blurs into one!! :). Sue xxx