Low Carb diet feeling fatigue

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm T2 diabetic recently diagnosed. In a wheelchair and been on a low carb diet of around 100g pet day. I've started swimming a few times a week using a float jacket. Lost nearly a stone. Problem is the last few days I feel so fatigued. My sugars aren't low. Fasting readings of between 6.5-7.5. In the morning. Any suggestions? Thanks x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm T2 diabetic recently diagnosed. In a wheelchair and been on a low carb diet of around 100g pet day. I've started swimming a few times a week using a float jacket. Lost nearly a stone. Problem is the last few days I feel so fatigued. My sugars aren't low. Fasting readings of between 6.5-7.5. In the morning. Any suggestions? Thanks x

Are you drinking enough? Fatigue is one of my early dehydration signals.

Drinking plenty is very important when low-carbing.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating enough fat? I have increased the amount of fat I have over the past 36 hours and I seem to have a lot more energy.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On a low carb you need to replace the missing carbs with fats and oils for energy, so if you've recently started swimming, you may well need to increase the amount of them you're currently eating. This should hopefully help with your glucose levels too.

Robbity

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. I've got an app to work thing out. I'm probably not drinking a lot at all. Cup of tea with sweetners in the morning and a couple of glasses of Orange squash throughout the day. How many fat grams should I be looking to take on a daily basis?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most low carb experts recommend increasing your salt intake - an easy way to do this is to drink broth or boullion.