Roche Turn off

starbuy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have or had a Roche accu-chek spirit combo pump. It was supplied by a diabetic clinic on August 9th 2011. I was in contact with the diabetic clinic about renewing it. It was coming p with some random message about time every time I changed the cartridge but nothing specific, I thought it was just the time mismatch between the pump and remote caused by BST. Then today it said end of operation and promptly turned off. I contact Roche and spoke to a nice American lady apparently the British help line goes to the USA when the line gets busy, who told me yes it turns itself off after 4 years. I said I had had it less than 4 years but they said it was from the date of supply not the date usage started. They said it counted down from 60 to zero (where) before its untimely demise. I have never seen this countdown or any understandable message.

Be afraid be very afraid If you have a pump beware it may just suddenly stop working and say 'end of operation' consigning itself to the dustbin and leaving you with major problems.

I would suggest asking Roche when the ******* thing is going to switch off and tattooing somewhere prominent and make sure your clinic is using the date of supply rather than the end of delivery to you. presumably they set the death of its original demise when they supply it, although I sent the guarantee card back on the original but that's another story as well as the three remotes.

Nice one Roche you score 0/10 for patient safety. .

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey been there not with Roche but Medtronic. I had 3 pumps replaced fro. It suddenly stopping and no warning. One even made me quite ill. I always now make sure I know my pen routine because the machines can breakdown

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does the instruction manual not say anything about this countdown, you'd expect it would be visible on the screen to warn the user that it was about to turn off :confused:

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A lot of pumps are meant to but they just turn off. Once it made a sound so it was something

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Roche is the only pump with a clock count down as far as I know.
My old Cozmo pump still works 8 years after I first had it :) There's no count down on the Animas pump either.
Hope you have your new pump sorted asp.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My omi pod makes a sound but no clock:(
The clock is an internal timer that closes the pump down after the 4 years of use. I suspect if someone spent the time looking at their Roche pump they could find the info hidden it somewhere.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The clock is an internal timer that closes the pump down after the 4 years of use. I suspect if someone spent the time looking at their Roche pump they could find the info hidden it somewhere.
Oh I did not know about that I will investigate. My pumps were only less than a year when they turned off

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh I did not know about that I will investigate. My pumps were only less than a year when they turned off
If yours weren't Roche pumps then that's another issue altogether. Mind you any pump shutting down/breaking after a year is an issue.
I've had 2 pump failures in almost 8 years of pumping and had warning for each failure.

iHs

Although I have a Vibe now, back in 2010 I used a new Roche Accuchek Spirit Combo and it is still working all ok with the bg remote. I get it out every 6 months, fill up the cartridge with some saline, attach a tube and let it pump away on my tabletnop. I think the pumps that had a timer on them were before 2010.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Roche pump has a timer. I know it's working as the End Of Time alarm sounded recently! It sounds an alarm, which I have to cancel ( so I can't miss it), then a little code appears on the screen and stays there so there's no way to forget the End Of Time alarm has sounded.

If I go into Settings, I can see how many days are left. I can also do this before the alarm sounds.

When I had my pump training, I was told about the pump life and that it would only last a set time. There's also info on this in the pump manual.

It's bad if you weren't made aware of this when you were given your pump. I hope you get a new pump sorted soon.

starbuy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am using novorapid insulin pen which is a pain. I will collect a new pump on Friday. Has anyone got access to a large steam roller so I can destroy this piece of electronic rubbish in a fitting way.