Cherries or Raspberries

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've started taking half a dozen or so cherries each evening and my BS has been rising to around 6.4 after two hours , is that ok or would I be better with Rasberries ?

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the the figure before you had the cherries? And after an hour, since the sugar in fruit is fairly quick-acting?
Cherries are worth a try since I believe some people can tolerate a few, but I always eat berries with cream anyway.
Raspberries are supposed to be safer.
Keep testing and you'll find out!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If it ends in berry it's much safer and especially with cream.

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was higher than normal before dinner at 6.3 , re tested and was at 5.7 . Had a couple of beef burgers ( high in beef) cauliflower then had full fat Greek yogurt and half a dozen cherries , tested approx an hour and a half later and was at 6.7 which was definitely higher than normal which I would say was definatly down to the cherries .
Since I was diagnosed two and a half months ago I have really not bothered with things like cherries and have not seen figures like 6.7, am I drifting or is that a safe amount of BS?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you're sure the burgers hadn't much or any cereal then maybe the cherries did it, but 6.7 isn't bad and you saw from your preprandial test meters aren't very accurate. So don't abandon all hope. This is not carb creep!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I consider 8 to be the point where nerve and organ damage starts.

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think that's unreasonable but it depends on what your level was.before you ate them; an acceptable spike in levels should ideally be no more than 2 points, so you can't really just take a single reading and apply any real meaning to it. But you should be asking your meter which is the better for you. Look at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html, print the information out, keep it handy and use it as a guide as to what's acceptable. You must learn to trust your own judgement now, and set your own limits and targets within these guidelines.

I can eat small quantities of both these fruits (with cream), and have set my own limits on how many I should eat from what my meter tells me. I don't actually see any significant rise when testing after 1 hour so I'm happy that my body can handle them well enough.

Robbity

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Guys , the burgers were from M&S , wasn't sure or even aware on the cereal issue , what do you look for on the label to find cereal content?
Going to do berries in future no point in playing about with this .

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
One more question if I may... What cream do you suggest to go with Rasberries ?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Guys , the burgers were from M&S , wasn't sure or even aware on the cereal issue , what do you look for on the label to find cereal content?
Don't know enough about burgers, but with sausages I go for high meat content, eg Black Farmer 90% pork and low carb. If you have time to make your own burgers you know what's in them. Cereal is just the cheap filler -- more profit I suppose (er, sorry to any real butchers online).
*EDIT* Ooh -- just found this on another thread, thanks to @AndBreathe ,,,
Spicy beef burgers - From The Incredible Spice Men - Minced meat of your choice, onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cumin, coriander, turmeric. Squidge up with your hands to combine well, then divide into patties, and fry gently. Serve with whatever you choose. Delicious.

One more question if I may... What cream do you suggest to go with Rasberries ?
Prefer double cream myself, and use it in coffee as well. Clotted is nice if you're into cream, but not in coffee -- it goes buttery!
But then you can whisk it ... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there for burgers you want to look for 100% need, in addition to this check the carb content. The lowest burgers I have found are Iceland 100% beef quarter pounders, they are frozen. So far they have the least carbs of supermarket brands

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Got to be raspberries with double cream for me ..never tried it in coffee though ummm

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I could devour a tub of raspberries every day , I love them, but not from my garden this year, as some darn critters have been at them :( :mad:

Winchesters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I consider 8 to be the point where nerve and organ damage starts.
I have to say that this pits scared me. I'm newly diagnosed and my readings are normally between 12-14. I'm trying my hardest to get this down. After seeing this it makes me not want to eat anything. Scary. :(

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say that this pits scared me. I'm newly diagnosed and my readings are normally between 12-14. I'm trying my hardest to get this down. After seeing this it makes me not want to eat anything. Scary. :(
Perhaps you could start a thread of your own and tell us more about yourself. Then we should be able to make some suggestions. I see on another thread you find bananas send your BS up, for instance. I think you can take that as normal. I'm sure we can help bring your worry levels down a bit ;)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got to be raspberries with double cream for me ..never tried it in coffee though ummm
Coffee with double cream is delicious! I've not been brave enough to try it with coconut oil or butter yet though, that just feels wrong!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thick double cream or clotted cream is really yummy with berries, and (pourable) double cream in coffee or in soups. Soured cream is also great for thickening savoury stuff like soups and sauces.

Robbity

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Raspberries win hands down in my books. Yummy

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm another who would have raspberries with a little double cream, or I often mix it with quark and stevia so that it's also low calorie as well as low carb.

Reactions: 4 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't sit and eat cherries or grapes as pudding with cream, but husband and I graze on cherries or black grapes or cherry tomatoes. If making tea we will snack on one or two. That doesn't seem to have an effect on me whereas a bowl would.