First Abandoned Set

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday I had my first abandoned set since I started my pump last November.

When I inserted it yesterday morning it was very sore but I thought I would just leave it and see how I got on. All day at work it was stinging so byt the evening it had to be taken out. My BG was also not so well controlled yesterday, going up and down.

I'm assuming I just hit some kind of nerve of lumpy patch. Is this something that happens to people quite alot and would you also have given up on it or carried on?

The area where I put the set is not somewhere I've had one before. It was still on my abdomen but maybe a bit too close to my belly button?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, it does happen. I have a dodgy, hurting set like that probably once every few months. I insert my set and if it feels funny or is still hurting an hour or two later, I always change it. Usually, if it hurts it's not right and will probably not work properly, I've found.

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it does happen. I have a dodgy, hurting set like that probably once every few months. I insert my set and if it feels funny or is still hurting an hour or two later, I always change it. Usually, if it hurts it's not right and will probably not work properly, I've found.

Maybe I've been quite lucky then to not have one in my time on the pump.

Just wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. Like you @azure I have also had a few where they've been uncomfortable for a while but they've always got better, but not this one.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find it's a subtly different uncomfortable feeling if the set is 'bad'. Usually when I put a set in, I forget about it but with a bad one I can still feel it and I'm aware of it all the time. It depends what sets your using, but I've found sometimes the Teflon cannulas kink or bend on insertion so aren't situated properly, and sometimes they seem to come up against something like fat or muscle and don't work properly.

I don't use my tummy for sites any more, but it could well be where you put it. Not every area works and that seems to vary from person to person.

Another time I change my sets is if my sugars are high for no reason like carb miscalculation, etc

Reactions: 4 people

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yesterday I had my first abandoned set since I started my pump last November.

When I inserted it yesterday morning it was very sore but I thought I would just leave it and see how I got on. All day at work it was stinging so byt the evening it had to be taken out. My BG was also not so well controlled yesterday, going up and down.

I'm assuming I just hit some kind of nerve of lumpy patch. Is this something that happens to people quite alot and would you also have given up on it or carried on?

The area where I put the set is not somewhere I've had one before. It was still on my abdomen but maybe a bit too close to my belly button?

I get them a lot. I usually wait a few minutes and if the pain isn't gone I will change them . 9 out of 10 when I pull it out the cath is kinked up I also noticed it happens closer to the belly button as well. For me it seems to happen where the skin is tougher .

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get them a lot. I usually wait a few minutes and if the pain isn't gone I will change them . 9 out of 10 when I pull it out the cath is kinked up I also noticed it happens closer to the belly button as well. For me it seems to happen where the skin is tougher .
Thanks for your reply @Anaelena it really is good to heat that other people have also had this. Interestingly the cannula looked ok when I took it out, just took me ages as it was stinging so much. Every other set I've done since then has been fine.