Writing BG Management App

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
database is in a folder called BGDB which should be in your "home" - run a search for it. There is a post early on that says where it is. You do not need to uninstall; just delete the old one and use the new one. Each file is completely self contained and has everything it requires inside the jar file

Andrew
First off, brilliant App, been using it from the start, it's great, I really like it because it has made me so aware of my BG readings and has made me "live by my meter" BTW using Windows 7, you had me fooled because "Users" are now hidden in windows directory, wondered why I couldn't track Down the database

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Trust Microsoft to hide you home directory in their system folder. Now I know why I stopped using windows. Well that and the viruses and my love of a proper os

Reactions: 2 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
database is in a folder called BGDB which should be in your "home" - run a search for it. There is a post early on that says where it is. You do not need to uninstall; just delete the old one and use the new one. Each file is completely self contained and has everything it requires inside the jar file

@Andrew Colvin

I've got your blood glucose application working nicely now. Is there a way to natively set the spacing tighter on the left hand columns to allow more notes on the right hand columns? It is a really strong application IMHO. All I need now is my FBG to get below 100 mg/dl (I'm at 106 this morning)!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You can manually adjust the column widths. I have made a change so I have finer control. All I need to do is restore window size/position and column widths from that stored in the DB

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Version 0.3.6 now uploaded to the normal place.

This version now colours selected forced fasting fields from yellow to orange
Stores the window position and size on closing and restores it
Stores the column widths and restores them (but only for the BG reading table)

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Version 0.3.6 now uploaded to the normal place.

This version now colours selected forced fasting fields from yellow to orange
Stores the window position and size on closing and restores it
Stores the column widths and restores them (but only for the BG reading table)

@Andrew Colvin

I've got your new blood glucose application working nicely now. The left hand columns, stay narrow as you said and this is a very strong application IMHO. All I need now is my FBG to get below 100 mg/dl.. I am testing my FBG shortly! I had a 101 yesterday! Hope you are keeping well

HapG99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Andrew, I have used over 20 apps for iPhone and am not satisfied with any of them. My request: reports that correlate blood sugar readings with three items:

1. Insulin taken
2. Carbs eaten
3. Activity

A line Graf would be great. In addition, a report for my doctor that shows glucose readings, by date (rows) and by category (column). Categories:

Fasting
Before breakfast
After breakfast
Before lunch
After lunch
Before dinner
After dinner
Before bed

If you would like any more input, please contact me. I would love to see an app developed that met my needs/wants.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @HapG99 for the suggestions I will consider how to incorporate them.

I have uploaded version 0.3.7 - something just cosmetic became a fairly large change! Database upgraded for this one so please remember to back up your database first. Nothing functional added

changes
  • Increased column width of properties table in database
  • Store the positions of the split pane so that when you exit and reopen the window is restored as you left it.
  • Added some checks in to ensure the database version and application version now match. You will get an error dialog if they do not. You will not be forced out of the application but at least you are aware there is an issue when you are running GUI only.
  • Checked for headless configuration (no GUI) and just produces print messages that you see in the stats pane and exits so no more can't open window errors (you probably haven't seen them anyway). Code tidying.
  • First time you open the application it now chooses a sensible window size and position fixing an small issue from the last update.
edit: forgot to say it is in the normal place on my google drive and just to reiterate remember to back up your database (see previous threads for its location)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
version 0.3.8 uploaded to the normal place. No DB Change

Changes
  • Fixed a bug in version 0.3.7 where it fails to open if there are no weight columns - ie when upgrading from 0.3.5 or before to 0.3.7 - If 0.3.7 appears to not open after the splash screen goes you are probably hitting this defect
  • Added storage of the BP columns
  • Turned on a small widget on the P table (top right) which allows certain column controls

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
version 0.3.8 uploaded to the normal place. No DB Change

Changes
  • Fixed a bug in version 0.3.7 where it fails to open if there are no weight columns - ie when upgrading from 0.3.5 or before to 0.3.7 - If 0.3.7 appears to not open after the splash screen goes you are probably hitting this defect
  • Added storage of the BP columns
  • Turned on a small widget on the P table (top right) which allows certain column controls
@Andrew Colvin thanks for the update. I've downloaded and got the latest and greatest..

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
version 0.3.9 uploaded to normal place.

Changes
  • added HbA1c conversion to the tooltip in the blood glucose readings table when you hover over the readings
  • added HbA1c conversion as a tooltip to the chart when you hover over the BG Readings displayed on the chart

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
version 0.3.9 uploaded to normal place.

Changes
  • added HbA1c conversion to the tooltip in the blood glucose readings table when you hover over the readings
  • added HbA1c conversion as a tooltip to the chart when you hover over the BG Readings displayed on the chart

@Andrew Colvin

Is there a way to export the data I've been saving in the database so that my endocrinologist might able to see the progression one is making??

Thank you very much for your hard work and a great diabetes glucose management application!

JM

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes you can print it as a report and in the print dialoge print to pdf if your OS has that option. Or you can use openoffice to connect to the derby database and export the data into the sreadsheet and do whatever you wish

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Version 0.4.0 uploaded to the normal google drive location (found in my signature)
No database changes so no need to back up but is always a good reminder for you to do it

Changes
Added annotations to the graph for fasting readings
Improved the speed of the import from CSV function (especially for large imports)
Added the ability to add tab as a separation character to the import options using \t

You can now import Freestyle Libre export files (tab separated) using the CSV import function.
1. Open option| import options
1.1 set the date format to yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm
1.2 set the import format to _D_R_
1.3 set the separation characcter to \t
2. now select file | import csv
2.1 select your freestyle libre export file
2.2 watch the import as it progresses. Writing the records to the database is the slowest part.
3. Now import the actually readings you took with the sensor by changing the import format to _D__R_ (note 2 _)
3.1 Reimport the same file as in 2 above.

Enjoy

PS watch this space for cholesterol and other free text type recordings and graphical annotations coming soon

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Version 0.4.1 uploadded to my google drive location - no need to back up

Changes
1. Changed deletion of bg entries to be performant when using large datasets

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
version 0.4.2 uploaded

Changes

1. Increased speed of import by a factor of 100 or thereabouts

Enjoy

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Version 0.4.4 - no change to the database structure. Location is in the usual place from my google drive, linked in my signature.

Changes
1. Implemented an external file backup (under file menu) which creates an xml file with your data
2. Implemented an external file import (under file menu) which loads the backed up xml data

You can use this to protect your data as well as share data with others. It backs up your Blood Glucose readings, Blood Pressure Readings, Weight Readings and your Height. The back up file can be edited in a simple text editor if necessary. If you break the file format it will not load everything. On restore it adds to your existing data.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Version 0.5.0 uploaded to the normal google drive location
- no change to database

Changes
1. Backup function now has a backup version number to handle future changes.
2. Each backed up data item now has an id so that and failure that is reported on reload you know exactly the entry that failed to load
3. You now get a report window that opens when you do the restorre which informs you of progress and failures.