Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Holy smokes Spiker - sorry to hear that.

Have they tried you on anything like metformin, just in case you've developed a touch of T2 as well?
Yes thanks they did prescribe metformin. Must chase my GP for it.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.

Hey there, not the best score you'll reach but as long as you're on the way down you're heading in the right direction.

Keep focused and learn from the real world (via this website and forum), and you WILL get there! (If I can see "the light at the end of the tunnel" after 39 years and 9 months of this blasted condition then you can too.)

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mine is 14+ or 130+ in the new numbers. The highest on the scale! I can't face life at the moment:(

Hey @Bethaniiee,

14+ !?!?

Don't fret, worry or panic - I was averaging blood glucose levels of 24mmol about 10 years ago.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel - stay focused and learn from the real world ( via this website and forum ) and you WILL get there.

I feel like my life has just begun for the first time in so long that I can't really remember when I last felt human!

That's not to say that it's all good or easy now (I still have bad days), but I can assure you that the attention and effort you put in from now WILL be worth it.

I share your pain, and because I understand it I send you a HUGE warm hug... a REALLY huge hug. ☺

Keep in there and don't hesitate to post for help - this 'place' has helped save my life.
Best wishes,
Conrad

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
To be honest I just find it really hard to control it :( I can't control my sugars at all and I find it really hard to inject because I am petrified of needles

Hey @katieeeb

Welcome to the madhouse - the place where all things diabetes may be revealed to you in such a way that you can't resist hanging around for days on end in anticipation of the next response!

I am truly sorry to hear about your troubles with injections; having done mine since I was first diagnosed (Halloween 1976) I can't share your phobia, but I DO understand your feelings.

Put a post on the T1 forum as I'm sure there are many out there who can help with their own experiences.

I send you a HUGE warm hug.

Best wishes,
Conrad

Reactions: 4 people

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.3! (but i don't feel perfect all the time, for example i can't seem to handle carbs in the morning as i have a huge spike and need to take a walk to combat this, anyone else?)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Current HbA1c 8.0%. Was 7.0% this time last year. Will aim to do better o_O

Good luck with your aim

In all seriousness, best wishes - 'cause it ain't 'plain sailing' at the best of times.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
6.3! (but i don't feel perfect all the time, for example i can't seem to handle carbs in the morning as i have a huge spike and need to take a walk to combat this, anyone else?)

I don't seem to handle lots of carbs in the evening, unless I'm quite active.

What sorts of things do you eat for breakfast and what lead time do you give your bolusing?

Plus have you basal tested in the mornings to see if your basal insulin is correct?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I did thought it was 4-5 months but just seen
6 month soon as 17th if aug
So in my 5th month now

Book an appointment with your GP to discuss or even get the test done by the surgery nurse - depending upon where you are that may be possible (it is at my GPs).

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope asked
Don't see D team till end of August - in fact the last week of it
So five weeks away

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's appalling - your GP really should WANT to know whether things are settling in with the meds etc. !

Try calling the DSNs - they should be able to authorise one for you (they'll have something to work with when you are seen by them in 5 weeks).

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
On diagnosis I was 112 mmol/mol and years later now 58 mmol/mol. Not perfect but slow and sustained improvement.

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's appalling - your GP really should WANT to know whether things are settling in with the meds etc. !

Try calling the DSNs - they should be able to authorise one for you (they'll have something to work with when you are seen by them in 5 weeks).

Just moved house
New gp
new dsn's
New hospital
To be frank I doubt it would of dropped from the 200s it was in when admitted

But as said it will be seeing them in 5 weeks
Peace an quite for a bit lol
But to be frank and totally honest
Don't really care about this hb1-thingy very much at mo
Just to get Bg right is main one at mo

Last edited by a moderator:

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're right @MrBloominggrumpy - just work on your everyday BG levels. If you're getting those better then the HbA1c should improve. It can be good to show how much you've improved and the hard work is paying off though. Or can make you realise you have more tweaking (or major changes in my case!) to do.

Hopefully when you see your new team they will get things like this sorted for the future and you'll have the support you need

Reactions: 4 people