Type 2 High BG readings?

Slinger

Hi.

I'm a type 1 on an insulin pump but my question is about a friend.

She has been diagnosed as a type 2 for a few months and her blood sugars are around 10-12 mmols. She is on meds for this but are these still too high and more like a type 1.

Any help appreciated

Stephen

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Slinger,

It is more likely that your friend needs to alter her diet. Can you give us any idea of what she is eating so that we can make suggestions for her.

There is some good basic advice that @daisy1 will post that will help.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Slinger

Hello Stephen and welcome to the forum :)

To help you to help your friend, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Slinger

Thanks for the replies. Not sure what she is eating exactly but she says it is healthy foods, I will find out.

Slinger

Sorry hit wrong button.

Another thing is that she has to buy her own test strips. It that correct or should she be given them on prescription.
Seems unfair that type 1's get them free even though type 2 is just as bad.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing is that she has to buy her own test strips. It that correct or should she be given them on prescription.
Seems unfair that type 1's get them free even though type 2 is just as bad.

Fair or not, most of us T2s have to buy our own meters and test strips. To me it's a small price to pay for reassurance and control
Looking forward to hearing details of your friend's current diet :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Slinger As a type 2 diabetic, I found it very helpful to test and test often - (fasting, 2 hours post meal, and other times as needed) - still do after almost 6 months. I live in the US. To control costs, I switched from test strips that cost 88 cents in store (and 68 cents online) to test strips that cost me 18 cents. This was important for me because ever time I tested, I was adding up the daily cost. Now I feel able to test guilt free. Eventually, I'll probably evolve to testing only 2 to 3 days a week, 4 times a day. Just not ready yet. I still need that feedback loop to stay on track.

So I encourage your friend to consider finding the cheapest strips available in the UK, and buy the meter that uses those strips. I test 4 to 9 times a day depending on whether or not I have any blood glucose spikes.

I also walk daily. Initially walking didn't have a lot of effect on my glucose levels, but now, if I have a big spike in blood glucose, I can drop my glucose levels 20 - 60 points mg/dL by walking 1 mile. Today, I walk 1 to 3 miles a day.

What most helped me to reduce and stabilize my blood glucose - (my HbA1c was 9.9%, now 5.5%) - was the low carbohydrate diet explained in chapters 9-11 of the book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, 4th Edition. It's an excellent resource.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Bernstei...UTF8&qid=1438189792&sr=8-22&keywords=diabetes

Information can also be found on how to get started on the low carbohydrate (LCHF) diet in the non-member area of the website here... http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

For many reasons, I personally believe the low carbohydrate (LCHF) diet is healthiest choice for those with diabetes, type 2 and type 1.

If, however, your friend is vegetarian, and does not eat meat, fish, eggs, or dairy, here are two diabetes books that might be more helpful (for a vegetarian)...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neal-Barnar...d=1438190002&sr=8-1&keywords=diabetes+Bernard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/End-Diabete...UTF8&qid=1438189767&sr=8-21&keywords=diabetes

And here's a discussion forum more appropriate for vegetarians who have type 2 diabetes...

https://www.drmcdougall.com/connections/discussion-board/video/

Dr. McDougall has written many books. This is his most recent, though not specifically written for vegetarians who have type 2 diabetes, it might also be more helpful...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starch-Solu...qid=1438190299&sr=8-1&keywords=john+mcdougall

When I crossed over to diabetes in 2006, no one told me about any of these diets, so I just continued to eat "healthy", and over the 10 years that followed my blood glucose levels continued to rise.

Learning about the low carbohydrate (LCHF) diet in February of this year was a huge game changer for me. Whether your friend tries the LCHF diet or the Bernard, Fuhlman, or McDougal diets, there's lots of support here too. Here's a link to the Low-carb Diet forum here... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ There are a few vegetarians there doing the LCHF diet on the Low-carb Diet forum, but I don't know how they do it. :)

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos
If your friend was incorrectly diagnosed and was infact a type 1, without insulin for two months the blood glucose meter would only read 'HI' and not 10-12. Friend would be easily be above 30mmol. However, GP's can and do make mistakes and your friend could be 'honeymooning' but to put your mind at rest I think this would be more likely not the case and your friend is type 2. It's nice that your friend has someone who cares and pays an interest as you have done. It's really scary being newly diagnosed and your support I'm sure is much appreciated :) good luck helping and learning together.