Accu-check insight

Mrsstevo2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I have been on the pump a little over a month now and so far, I absolutely love it. Don't get me wrong, at first I found it very difficult to get used to being attached to it all the time (especially in bed, and especially sleeping with the husband who doesn't lay still for more than 10 seconds )
Anyway, my favourite place for my cannula is in my tummy, so I always look forward to the days that I can rotate to that site (sad I know...) however, the past 2 times I have had a cannula in my tummy, the site where the sticky plaster part has been a little irritated and itchy. To the point where I still have a little round mark on a site used 2 insertions ago.
I am beginning to wonder if I may have a mild allergy or whether I need to suck it up as my body is still getting used to it.
My question is, I know there are different types of cannula and tubing you can order for the pump but does anyone know if they make any cannulas with the adhesive being suitable for sensitive/irritated skin? Thanks in advance x

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get the same itchy red mark from the sticky plaster plus an inflamed red 'hole' from the cannula. I find it improves if I make sure I remove the sticky stuff REALLY thoroughly with Lift Plus spray after removal of set. I also use a little Savlon or tea tree oil to the area. But still doing all this the marks last quite a while (I'm using tenderlink cannula and accu chek spirit combo pump.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsstevo2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you both for your replies, think I will give the DSN a ring and see what she can get me