Spinach question

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dumb question if the day, but how do you prepare spinach? The type you but in the supermarket packet.

Can you east it straight out the packet? Every time I cook it, it ends up as sludge!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I eat spinach raw in a baby leaf salad!
Mixed with different sorts of leafy veg, very good for you!

You can get it separately in some supermarkets!

Reactions: 7 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another one for a salad constituent, it's also chopped up in a recipe I use for home-made beefburgers (along with feta cheese, tomato, onion, garlic, salt & pepper).

Reactions: 5 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I pop it in a stir fry with other veg for about 20 seconds

Reactions: 5 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Two varieties offered over here, the usual delicate leaved type, and another call New Zealand spinach ,coarser and much thicker leaves. Not really spinach by definition, discovered by Captain Cooks sailors looking for some much needed green stuff on the voyage there.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for the responses. I am preparing a mince, cauliflower and cheese bake and brought the spinach to put on the plate. I think I may try it raw with a touch of olive oil

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Does not matter which way you eat it ..... even "sludge" ... squeeze of lemon juice will fix that up.

It is a wonderful addition to any meal

Reactions: 4 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dumb question if the day, but how do you prepare spinach? The type you but in the supermarket packet.

Can you east it straight out the packet? Every time I cook it, it ends up as sludge!

For cooked spinach I rinse mine twice, sometimes three times in a colanders with boiling water water poured over it - just enough to wilt it, not sludge it. Add a knob of butter afterwards.

I also use it as an extra layer for an adapted cottage pie or fish pie before the topping goes on, and in place of pasta for a low carb lasagne.

Cirbear89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being ill, my stretch marks, mess, being confused,
I like to put spinach raw in smoothies as the other ingredients hide the flavour but I'm still getting the good stuff from it

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like it in salads raw, but it's also lovely wilted with some butter and grated nutmeg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can turn the sludge or frozen spinach in to a cream of spinach soup. cook it with some butter and nutmeg, add stock home made from chicken carcass/bones or from a stock cube, add seasoning and plenty of cream and whizz up until mixed smooth.

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you boil it for a very short amount of time (say 1 minute) it shouldn't turn into green sludge! i eat it raw, boiled, stir fried, in smoothies!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can also mix it with crème fraiche as here http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/632308
(I've never actually cooked it myself since one of the few premade foods that I buy is this sort of spinach.
In France they sell it frozen in little cubes. It's a great standby and can be used as almost a sauce, a filling in buckwheat crepes; delicious with a little crispy bacon and parmesan mixed in or just as a veg)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always wash it, bc you can get e.coli from it I whack in the wok with Ras el Hanout and butter or pile it in frittatas. Good for salad too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I always wash it, bc you can get e.coli from it I whack in the wok with Ras el Hanout and butter or pile it in frittatas. Good for salad too.

Likewise, always wash spinach and all salad ingredients, even the pre-packed salad leaves that say they have already been washed prior to packaging.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wash well in cold water shake throw in dry pan with some. crushed garlic put lid on pan cook for about 1minute shaking regularly add knob of butter serve with poached or boiled egg salt and black pepper
CAROL