Does anyone have any insight into Glucophage?

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
I was prescribed Glucophage last month, my partner looked it up online and what we saw worried us. I haven't started taking it yet, I just can't get my head around it. so if anyone is on this any advice or insight as to how you get on with it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glucophage is a marketing name for Metformin and there are any number of people on this board who can give you advice on that. It is lovingly known as Metfartin because one of the adverse side effects is, well, go on guess.

It is necessary to take it with food to lessen the effects and the SR version is much kinder on the gut but still needs to be taken with food.

I am unfortunate in that I always seem to get the adverse side effects with pills and none of the benefits and with Metformin I had taste disturbance. Lots of food tasted of burnt plastic. My dose was halved which was a big help but I no longer take it since it wasn't much of a help to me.

G

graj0

I have also suffered the bad side effects of Metformin, since 1997, but the less carbs you eat the less the side effects, for me anyway. As has been mentioned, SR (sustained release), XR (extended release) are better options and taking at meal times helps. I was also taking cocodomol for various aches and pains which has the opposite effect. It's also worth mentioning that it doesn't affect everyone in exactly the same way, I know people who have no problems whatsoever.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know people who have no problems whatsoever.

I am sure there are people who have no problems but I am not one of them. Don't misunderstand me I am not saying that people should not take pills that their doctor prescribes. I took them all and found out what affected me adversely by doing so. In fact, I suggest that everybody should take what the doctor suggests and go back to him/her when/if things go wrong. How else will you know what suits you.

I can't see any logic in being prescribed pills and not taking them.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is a good, safe drug but, yes, the non-SR version can cause bowel problems for a few weeks or constantly for some. It works by reducing the insulin resistance you can have if you have excess weight. It also reduces the liver's glucose output a little bit. It's not a miracle drug but helps.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
Been on Glucophage 500 mg twice a day for 4 years without any problems.
I think it is the standard treatment for type 2 Diabetics
Don't worry

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've been taking Glucophage/Metformin for 3 years with absolutely no problems. It really helps me.

I've had no stomach/bowel/digestive issues on it, no increased farting.

What are your specific concerns about it?

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Metformin since 2007 and yes I did have horrendous rear end incidents but when I went to my GP and explained, he switched me to SR.

My suggestion is to start off with one tablet in the morning and if you are prescribed more do a week on the one then add the second in the evening and do a week on that before adding any more. I think the technical term for that is titration. That would hopefully lessen any effects as you build up. My GP was fine with me doing that.

Then once you are on your full dose, make sure you take them without missing any.

If you do have probs do go back to GP because it's about the safest oral med around and protective against breast cancer to boot.

Reactions: 3 people