Second Hba1c confused!

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, as you may know since diagnosis in April I have been trying to get to grips with the low carb lifestyle and apart from birthday blip it is ok.

As I'm on my phone I can't see my figures but mi first Hba1c was 70 I think when diagnosed in April and today after chasing my 3 month check which sat for days with the doctors for comments, I've been told everything is normal! When I asked for the Hba1c result it is....39!

What does this mean?I have two weeks until my appointment with the diabetic nurse. Is it gone? Or have I put it on pause? Am I normal now or still diabetic?!

Hope this is not too much of a silly question! Whatever the answer, I am so happy and thankful that I found this place!

Thanks in advance x

Reactions: 10 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful news. This means you now have well controlled diabetes. 39 mmol/mol = 5.7%. Congrats!

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

HbA1c targets
Targets for HbA1c are as follows:

• For people without diabetes, the range is 20-41 mmol/mol
    (4-5.9%)
  • For people with diabetes, an HbA1c level of 48 mmol/mol
    (6.5%)
    is considered good control, although some people may prefer their numbers to be closer to that of non-diabetics
  • For people at greater risk of hypoglycemia (lower than normal blood sugar), a target HbA1c of 59 mmol/mol (7.5%) to reduce the risk of hypos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Think of it as a pause due to the right diet. It may stay on pause for many years, but you will still be listed as a diabetic. Well done.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's great, thank you guys for informing me, shame I can't shake it but I'll take good control with a huge smile! Just got to keep going!

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great, thank you guys for informing me, shame I can't shake it but I'll take good control with a huge smile! Just got to keep going!

Briefly, it means your average score is now in the non-diabetic range, which is what everyone is striving for, in the first instance.

I went from 73 to 37 in my first cycle, then by just carrying on, reduced again, although much more slowly. My last result (all in my signature) was my lowest yet at 31. I am now generally, eating more carbs than I did to go from 73 to 37.

I put this down to improving my insulin resistance, and dropping any extra pounds.

Where are you on the weight loss trail? You could yet get lucky and be able to ditch it.

And, just to add finally, very, very well done, because you have achieved what you have in the face of some very stressful situations. You should be extremely proud of yourself.

Reactions: 7 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for your kind words, these last few months have been a challenge to say the least and baby and all my kids are a huge motivator lol

I am glad I found this place when I did; just at the right time! I know the future may be a struggle and I believe that it is my total overhaul of my diet that has produced these results. This is just the motivation that I need to keep going.

My weight loss has stalled a bit especially since my birthday two weeks ago. I have about 4lbs to go to have achieved two stone weight loss. In addition I have another 3 stone to come off to be in the middle of my healthy bmi range lol so I definitely need to get myself in gear!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As has been said above, you are not cured but you are well controlled, very well controlled if I may say so.

Now I have to be careful with the next bit since I have been misunderstood in the past and would like to get through this without the ton of bricks landing.

When I say you are not cured I mean that you would not have such a good result if you went back to your old ways of eating. I am not suggesting that you try it because that would be a daft idea but you must admit that you have a result only because you put the effort in. Providing you carry on the way you are you will be fine.

For all the readers who think I am suggesting that Mrsmac actually goes back to her old ways, I didn't.

Reactions: 10 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Well done congrats:D

Reactions: 4 people