Employment Rights

KellyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I was diagnosed as type 1 in February, after being wrongly diagnosed with type 2 and given the wrong medication.

My employers have been kept up to date with all appointments etc, however 2 weeks ago my sugars began spiking and falling for no apparent reason and obviously not having much knowledge of what could affect my readings I went to my GP who thought I had the beginning of a viral infection and suggested I just 'ride it out'. On the Monday I woke up and felt horrendous, dizziness, sickness, thirsty .... All the symptoms of DKA but no sign of ketones. I went to the hospital which may have been OTT but I didn't know what else to do. All the usual checks were done and came back negative, the doctor advised I had a viral infection and gave me medication to help with the side effects. I spent the rest of the week in bed as every time I stood up I thought I was going to faint.

My employers are now saying o need up have a meeting with our HR department to discuss my excessive absence.....I'm pretty annoyed as I know there are people who are calling in sick when they're hung over etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated- I feel a bit like I'm being made a scape goat

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's company policy with most employers that you attend a back-to-work meeting with a Manager or HR, just be truthful and explain the circumstances why you were off work, if possible ask if you can take in a Trade Union Rep in with you (if in a union) or a fellow work colleague.

Good luck.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I was diagnosed as type 1 in February, after being wrongly diagnosed with type 2 and given the wrong medication.

My employers have been kept up to date with all appointments etc, however 2 weeks ago my sugars began spiking and falling for no apparent reason and obviously not having much knowledge of what could affect my readings I went to my GP who thought I had the beginning of a viral infection and suggested I just 'ride it out'. On the Monday I woke up and felt horrendous, dizziness, sickness, thirsty .... All the symptoms of DKA but no sign of ketones. I went to the hospital which may have been OTT but I didn't know what else to do. All the usual checks were done and came back negative, the doctor advised I had a viral infection and gave me medication to help with the side effects. I spent the rest of the week in bed as every time I stood up I thought I was going to faint.

My employers are now saying o need up have a meeting with our HR department to discuss my excessive absence.....I'm pretty annoyed as I know there are people who are calling in sick when they're hung over etc.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated- I feel a bit like I'm being made a scape goat

Most employers have a policy for the management of absence for almost any reason, including sickness. There will usually be a variety of ways a review process can kick into play; usually a period of absence of longer the x days, or cumulative days totalling y days, whether together or separately.

At this stage, please try not to be too offended by it all. I'm sure it's nothing personal, and something your Manager probably wishes he/she didn't have to be doing too.

It is usual during these initial meetings, your employer will be interested to hear why you have had to be away from work in recent times. They will want to be learning if there is anything work related that could be causing absences, or if there is anything they should be doing to help you not to have time off. For example, had you been absent with back ache, caused by inappropriate chair height, or the like, then they could be inclined to acquire a special chair, so that you are less likely to suffer. I have known other situations where employers have paid for employees to have operations privately, due to waiting lists, where the cost of the op was less than the sick pay they would have to pay, if the individual was off longer term sick. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I couldn't speculate why others are not appearing to have these meetings. Perhaps they are, but are keeping quiet about it, or conversely, they have been lucky to just sneak under the trigger points. Or finally, if they are manipulating the system, and calling in sick when they're more well than they suggest, maybe the understand the system, and work it. Now, to be clear that last instance is certainly wrong, but we would be telling fibs if we didn't admit some people do operate in this way.

I suggest you go onto your corporate intranet and access the company's Sickness and Absence Policy, and see if you have inadvertently breeched a trigger. If you are in a Union, have a chat with a rep, who may be able to help you understand what may be happening.

Again, to repeat, I would urge you not to go straight to feeling offended by the whole thing, until you have more clarity about what's concerning them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Whether you have diabetes or whether it is COPD or cancer etc it doesn't matter regarding sick.

Some long term critical illnesses such as diabetes does fall under lass to cover non discrimination... But it wouldn't appear that your employers are failing this in any way at all.

All Employers should complete a return to work form when an Employee has taken time off for any reason.. Even if it is a family emergency...or a dependent person emergency etc... My hubby took time off a couple weeks ago when I was admitted to A&E .. He still had to go through an interview when he went back to work... It's purely to check that everything is now ok or whether the Employer could offer anything to help....not to blackmark him...

Your Employers just want you to be at work and safe and ok to work. They should do returns to work and then get HR involved if necessary.. Not to blackmark you but to help you be an effective employeee again.. Ie if you didn't have access to your blood machine easily.. They should help you to get easier access...

Reactions: 2 people

KellyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I think I'm more upset that there was nothing done when I initially returned to work - I had to approach my manager to inform them what was happening as they did not even ask if I was feeling better etc.

I'm sure I'm being over sensitive, as I seem to be with all things these days!! I appreciate all the advice x

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Thanks everyone. I think I'm more upset that there was nothing done when I initially returned to work - I had to approach my manager to inform them what was happening as they did not even ask if I was feeling better etc.

I'm sure I'm being over sensitive, as I seem to be with all things these days!! I appreciate all the advice x

They should arrange a formal "return to work interview" for any time off....especially if they are a large enough company to have an HR Dept...

Reactions: 4 people

amj789

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are only recently diagnosed-and it can be a very scary time-I think we have all experience of that-so you shouldn't say it was OTT to go the A&E-it was the right thing to do rather than neglect what could have been serious. Better safe than sorry!
I hope your employer understood when you spoke to them-for such a common condition-so many people have zero understanding of it-unless they have it, or know somebody who do....
The more you get to know your body and it's Diabetes-the happier you will be-took me 5 years to even ACCEPT that I had it-and nearly a year to get the control right...you will get there x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You are only recently diagnosed-and it can be a very scary time-I think we have all experience of that-so you shouldn't say it was OTT to go the A&E-it was the right thing to do rather than neglect what could have been serious. Better safe than sorry!
I hope your employer understood when you spoke to them-for such a common condition-so many people have zero understanding of it-unless they have it, or know somebody who do....
The more you get to know your body and it's Diabetes-the happier you will be-took me 5 years to even ACCEPT that I had it-and nearly a year to get the control right...you will get there x

Sensible advice and help here.
Diabetes is not a cold, or a strained muscle or a 24 hour bug( even though not nice), it's for life and you say you are type 1, so that's a lot to take on board in the beginning and can be a little scary too. A good idea is to have someone with you when you go, also write notes down before you go in, explain what type 1 is and how it is managed(condensed down) try to be assertive, in charge and in control of the situation. Fingers crossed it will go well and with reasonable adjustments made, if necessary. Diabetes is just a small part of who we are, so good luck and wishing you all the very best, take care.

All the best, RRB x