Type 1 - Is it genetic?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm a fourth generation type 1, Two of us are still alive with 99 years between us as type 1's. Loads of other autoimmune conditions over the generations as well.

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm third generation T1, diagnosed 19 years ago at 38. My mother was T1 at a similar age, after having steroid treatment for sarcoids, and her half-brother (same father) was also T1. Her father was one of seven children in the family, five of whom were T1 - he was the only one to survive, thanks to the discovery of insulin. My mother's sister was diagnosed a few years ago, in her seventies, but nobody else in the family has it. Yet.

I developed vitiligo a few years before the diabetes, and the dermatologist I was referred to said that it was a condition carried on the same gene as diabetes. Having a diabetic mother and grandfather, I asked whether that meant I'd go on to develop it too, and was told in a very lofty manner that it was extremely unlikely and that I shouldn't worry about that at all.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one else has type 1 in my family, but my sister has a different auto immune condition. So I wouldn't say diabetes runs in my family, but auto immune problems do.

Gabbs27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type one since I was 1 and no one in my family has had any traces of it!!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From what I've learned is that there are usually autoimmune conditions clusters in the family over all.

Having this vunerablity to autoimmune conditions is surely to at genetic level but inheriting T1 itself is incredibly tiny in terms of probability.

I have two T2 parents (the only confirmed T2s, this has high hereditory factors esp in S.East asians which are 6 times more likely to get it if parents have it) however I'm S.east asian and yet I'm 'LADA' or adult onset T1 and no one else has it :crazy:

In my family some autoimmune conditions include rheumotoid athritis, virtiligo, thyroid, hay fever, as examples. On top of that other things e.g we have thalassemia B deficiency (this is genetic) we have asthma (is this autoimmune? I'm unsure), dermatological problems, alopecia, PCOS, Endometriosis, neurological heart issue (my sister recently, the other being tested) vit D deficiency (my brother recently - he also had an op for double carpal tunnel) the list goes on and on and on...

Out of curiosity is there any other autoimmune conditon around your family?
From what I've learned is that there are usually autoimmune conditions clusters in the family over all.

Having this vunerablity to autoimmune conditions is surely to at genetic level but inheriting T1 itself is incredibly tiny in terms of probability.

I have two T2 parents (the only confirmed T2s, this has high hereditory factors esp in S.East asians which are 6 times more likely to get it if parents have it) however I'm S.east asian and yet I'm 'LADA' or adult onset T1 and no one else has it :crazy:

In my family some autoimmune conditions include rheumotoid athritis, virtiligo, thyroid, hay fever, as examples. On top of that other things e.g we have thalassemia B deficiency (this is genetic) we have asthma (is this autoimmune? I'm unsure), dermatological problems, alopecia, PCOS, Endometriosis, neurological heart issue (my sister recently, the other being tested) vit D deficiency (my brother recently - he also had an op for double carpal tunnel) the list goes on and on and on...

Out of curiosity is there any other autoimmune conditon around your family?

in my family one close relative with Type one, and quite a lot of all the first 4 in your list starting with RA ( 2 instances of one of the conditions, 3 instances of one of the others, and 4 instances of each of the other 2 conditions), plus a number of other autoimmune diseases

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my family T1 diabetes is as common as red hair! My mother (63 years now on insulin) her brother (again over 60yrs) me, two cousins and another cousins son. When I was diagnosed 26 years ago the doctor suggested there was no hereditary link.
If you mean that a lot of your family has red hair, this is interesting, as when i went for celiac tests - as there is a lot of autoimmune disease in the family and i had certain symptoms - they commented on the very slight red in my hair, asked me about my family red hair history - 3 in the family had pure red hair - they then asked where that side of the family originated - East Scotland - and they said Celtic genes were thought to be linked with autoimmune disease. The tests were negative but it got me thinking - the red haired family members did not develop autoimmune diseases - but quite a lot of some of their descendants have - could this be a co-incidence, what has happened in other families with red hair?
after that i read up and came across one theory suggesting that traditionally gluten was not very common in a Scots diet, and that families moving to England due to hardship and famine many years ago - as mine did - would have changed diet and started more gluten which might be a trigger when someone had certain genes - this may by now have been discounted but i became gluten free anyway, just in case

Last edited by a moderator:

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I am type one and so is my mother (at 12,) my aunt, (4) and my uncle on this side. He was diagnosed as type two at first, then 1.5 and now type 1. My uncle on my father's side is also type one. Both grandparents developed type 2.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are certain "genes" that control the immune response and those are what some consider to be the genetic factor in diabetes . These genes do not cause type 1 diabetes but since they control how your immune system responds they are a indirect factor in type 1 diabetes. My mother developed type 1 in her 50s and my fathers as type 2. I myself wonder how much environmental factors play into it as well.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438205769.847375.jpg

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I be nosy and ask if you have diabetes in your family? Do you have siblings/parents etc with Type 1 as well as yourself?

I was diagnosed during my first pregnancy at 29 weeks. My younger brother was diagnosed T1 6 months after me!

I also have a first cousin (on my father's side) with T1 and my father is T2 (although I have been told that this should have no bearing on us)

I just wondered your thoughts on it being genetic?

Looks like it may be - but in a complex way - just seen this http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-07-diabetes-patients-blood-proteins-immune.html.

Reactions: 3 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes , just like I stated it is the immune response that is genetic not the actual "genes" . If they can figure out how to disable the response that would be awesome .
It would be - i am not a scientist, but it looks as if this line of research might just be very hopeful

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother t1 aged 11. Me Lada aged 47, Father T2 aged 70. Mother odd autoimmune probs. My consultant says 'strong family history'. Definitely a genetic component.