GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi,
I was diagnosed T2 at end of May. Had confirmation blood test 2 weeks later (7.8mmol fasting) so put onto Metformin. I followed standard advice and lost half a stone whilst going through the common metformin side-effects.

Ten days ago I found this forum and was advised to get a meter and go low-carb. I started a ketogenic diet 5 days ago - 30g carb or less. As of this morning I was 11lb lighter than when diagnosed.

I say all this because my meter arrived yesterday and I've done my first tests this evening. I've got an SD Codefree. It took a couple of attempts at first before I got the hang of things but the first result, before my meal, was 4.3mmol. My second result two hours after the meal was 5.0mmol.

That just sounds too good. Is there some kind of calibration I should have done before testing? The instructions mentioned a control substance but I didn't see any.

Reactions: 10 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Superb

No calibration and from what you have said you are doing I would expect your results are correct. When are you seeing the Dr again for another HbA1c because I expect he will be amazed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That just sounds too good. Is there some kind of calibration I should have done before testing? The instructions mentioned a control substance but I didn't see any.

You might have to send off for the control solution, ring the meter manufacturer helpline and they'll send some out free of charge.

Pleased you've found the forum a great help and your on top of your diabetes control :)

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Don't bother with the control solution, it's not a standard with a true value, it just confirms that the meter is working within range. All meters can be up to 15% out, although mostly they are within 5% or so. So individual readings may not mean much (although we usually believe them!) but longer term patterns and trends are OK because the errors get ironed out.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When are you seeing the Dr again for another HbA1c because I expect he will be amazed.
Actually, I had a phone consultation with him this morning to let him know about the low-carb diet. He's well aware of the theory and is very interested to see the next round of blood test results (due at end of August)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
excellent keep it up and hopefully your success may prompt him/her to inform others under his care

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I was diagnosed T2 at end of May. Had confirmation blood test 2 weeks later (7.8mmol fasting) so put onto Metformin. I followed standard advice and lost half a stone whilst going through the common metformin side-effects.

Ten days ago I found this forum and was advised to get a meter and go low-carb. I started a ketogenic diet 5 days ago - 30g carb or less. As of this morning I was 11lb lighter than when diagnosed.

I say all this because my meter arrived yesterday and I've done my first tests this evening. I've got an SD Codefree. It took a couple of attempts at first before I got the hang of things but the first result, before my meal, was 4.3mmol. My second result two hours after the meal was 5.0mmol.

Hi Geoffers. Well done on what you've achieved so far x May I ask if you are still taking the Metformin as well as doing the LC diet? As you can see from my signature, it made me feel so bad that I stopped taking it and went on the LC/HF diet instead but I've still not seen figures like yours - struggled to get in the 6s and don't think I've ever seen a 4.00 and 5 is rare. Wondering if I should have persevered with the Metformin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what excellent results!

Well done :D

The key thing now is not to get complacent. keep testing til you know the effect of all your usual low carb foods, and if you happen to stray a bit (happens to us all!) then make sure you use your meter to map the effect.

Early success with LC is bloomin marvellous, but there are a couple of pitfalls that we all fall into sooner or later. the first is something we call 'carb creep' where we start slipping teensy little treats or extra portions in. That's fine, so long as you know exactly where your personal carb tolerance limits are. but often we get a bit slapdash, and that is when the meter starts climbing.

The other pitfall (and this gets me every bloomin time) is boredom. It is very easy to fall into habits of the same easy foods with very predictable meter results. Then suddenly, one day, you wake up and you simply can't face another scrambled egg. Ever. my suggestion to cope with this is to build variety, interest, spices, lc baking and treats in from the beginning. That way you never get so bored that a staple option becomes intolerable.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on those results. I agree, no calibration necessary. Just keep a food diary recording your levels alongside and look for trends. :)

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Geoffers. Well done on what you've achieved so far x May I ask if you are still taking the Metformin as well as doing the LC diet? As you can see from my signature, it made me feel so bad that I stopped taking it and went on the LC/HF diet instead but I've still not seen figures like yours - struggled to get in the 6s and don't think I've ever seen a 4.00 and 5 is rare. Wondering if I should have persevered with the Metformin.
My GP said that continuing the medication was my choice - it's my disease to manage - but he did try to explain that metformin works to improve insulin sensitivity as well as sugar production. It's this improved sensitivity that led him to recommend that I keep taking it. I had a bad week or two until my body got acclimatised to metformin but it's mostly OK since. At my next HbA1c review I'll discuss with doc about dropping the metformin to just 1 tablet a day.

I've been lucky because I think my diabetes has been caught early. I had no symptoms and it just showed up in a routine blood test. (I only started having problems when I followed that damned "Eatwell Plate" straight after diagnosis). My HbA1c was 63 at diagnosis so I wasn't super-high to begin with and maybe it hasn't taken much to get me back under control. I'm well aware that others on here are not so fortunate as I - I almost feel a bit of a fraud!

Brunneria - thanks for the tip about "carb creep". I've already been eyeing up what treats I might have, and you're quite right that this could get out of hand if I let it. In one way I'm thankful for feeling so dreadful on the Eatwell Plate because it's a reminder of what carbs can do to me.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(I only started having problems when I followed that damned "Eatwell Plate" straight after diagnosis)

A valuable lesson learned. The Eatwell Plate may be healthy in a universe far far away but for diabetics it's not a good idea. The analogy is to recommend bread to a coeliac or even worse the Eatwell Plate.

I heard a radio 4 programme where the lady responsible for the content of the Eatwell Plate was interviewed. When she was asked why there is a can of coke on it she said, "No there isn't". Those are your chances.

EDIT Just checked it and now there is a UK Eatwell Plate with no coke.

Took awhile to find one I could blow up without it getting pixellated.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/documents/eatwellplate.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There may not be a can of coke, but unless my eyes deceive me, there is a red can of cola. (at 6 oclcok on the plate face)

Presumably they would have been advertising coca cola if they had used that brand.

:banghead:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There may not be a can of coke, but unless my eyes deceive me, there is a red can of cola. (at 6 oclcok on the plate face)Presumably they would have been advertising coca cola if they had used that brand.

My mistake, I honestly don't know the difference. Is Cola less sugary?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think they are almost exactly the same - packed with sugar, caffeine and all sorts of vile stuff.
Methinks the Eat Well Plate lady was being disingenuous!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It doesn't matter that I got it wrong then. The Eat Well lady sounded as though she had no idea what was on the plate.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Hi Copey, I can understand you having some anxiety/pondering over the whether to metformin or not issue. After over a year since diagnosis, and two bottles of unopened metformin in my bathroom cabinet - I still ponder the issue! Especially when I have a high Fasting Blood Glucose reading.

If I was you I would get a hold of some of the 'Diabetes without drugs' books - select through your local library so it doesn't cost you anything. There are lots out there, and many of them are really good. Many of them have awful titles, but are still really good :) (I am thinking of Diane Cress's 'The Diabetes Miracle' in particular.) Dr Bernstein's 'The Diabetes Solution' is a classic. Two of my favourites are Suzy Cohen's 'Diabetes Without Drugs', and Dr Mark Hyman's 'The Blood Sugar Solution'. Once you have read at least two of these, you will have a much better idea if treating your diabetes without drugs is for you or not, is my feeling.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Copey, I can understand you having some anxiety/pondering over the whether to metformin or not issue. After over a year since diagnosis, and two bottles of unopened metformin in my bathroom cabinet - I still ponder the issue! Especially when I have a high Fasting Blood Glucose reading.

If I was you I would get a hold of some of the 'Diabetes without drugs' books - select through your local library so it doesn't cost you anything. There are lots out there, and many of them are really good. Many of them have awful titles, but are still really good :) (I am thinking of Diane Cress's 'The Diabetes Miracle' in particular.) Dr Bernstein's 'The Diabetes Solution' is a classic. Two of my favourites are Suzy Cohen's 'Diabetes Without Drugs', and Dr Mark Hyman's 'The Blood Sugar Solution'. Once you have read at least two of these, you will have a much better idea if treating your diabetes without drugs is for you or not, is my feeling.

Thank you x If I can find my long buried library card I will check them out. :) I do feel at the moment that I have "information overload" having trawled through so many video presentations and threads on here. I've become a complete diet/diabetes bore to all my family and friends Most of them have been supportive but it might get to the point where they hide when they see me coming (blush) .. lol.