Steroid injection

Laylajane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a steroid injection last week and now my blood tests are really high does any one know. how
Long this will last for?

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh joy! This is not good to hear as I had a pain relieving steroid injection into my knee at 11am yesterday morning and have had high BGs ever since.
More annoying is that I asked the GP, who takes responsibility for these things at my practice, whether the injection would have an effect on my blood glucose levels before I signed the consent form. I was told that it shouldn't have ANY effect but how wrong that was!
I ended up taking bolus insulin equivalent to 25g of carbs every 2/3 hours from about 3pm yesterday afternoon - no carbs either. I also set a temporary basal of +75% on my insulin pump before I went to bet @ 1am.
All of the above kept my BG at a pretty steady 17.5mmol/l until it started to come down more or less at the same time I went to bed. Woke up at 4:30 with a level of 11mmol/l and have started the bolus thing again hoping to get things down. (I'm also using a Libre system to monitor BG so I can take BG readings easily & frequently).
@Laylajane - how have things been for you over the last 2 weeks?
GP says that the maximum effect of the steroid - for the pain relief - will be in around 2 weeks and that it should/could last last for 2 or more months. I'm crossing fingers that the pain relief effect isn't mirrored by BG effect :-(

Alan

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Oh joy! This is not good to hear as I had a pain relieving steroid injection into my knee at 11am yesterday morning and have had high BGs ever since.
More annoying is that I asked the GP, who takes responsibility for these things at my practice, whether the injection would have an effect on my blood glucose levels before I signed the consent form. I was told that it shouldn't have ANY effect but how wrong that was!
I ended up taking bolus insulin equivalent to 25g of carbs every 2/3 hours from about 3pm yesterday afternoon - no carbs either. I also set a temporary basal of +75% on my insulin pump before I went to bet @ 1am.
All of the above kept my BG at a pretty steady 17.5mmol/l until it started to come down more or less at the same time I went to bed. Woke up at 4:30 with a level of 11mmol/l and have started the bolus thing again hoping to get things down. (I'm also using a Libre system to monitor BG so I can take BG readings easily & frequently).
@Laylajane - how have things been for you over the last 2 weeks?
GP says that the maximum effect of the steroid - for the pain relief - will be in around 2 weeks and that it should/could last last for 2 or more months. I'm crossing fingers that the pain relief effect isn't mirrored by BG effect :-(

Alan
I think you should make a complaint about the GP, because the least he could have done was warn you to expect a temporary rise in BG levels. A GP is expected to know this. I would see a different GP in future.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alzibiff

I would keep the next 2 weeks of raised readings, plus your usual readings (the Libre does lovely charts, doesnt it?), and send them off with your complaint. Evidence is a wonderful thing!

Make clear that you want this side effect mentioned at every pre-steroid consult where the patient is a diabetic, and ask for all staff to be brought up to speed.

And make sure your doc knows to put it on your notes.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
@Alzibiff

I would keep the next 2 weeks of raised readings, plus your usual readings (the Libre does lovely charts, doesnt it?), and send them off with your complaint. Evidence is a wonderful thing!

Make clear that you want this side effect mentioned at every pre-steroid consult where the patient is a diabetic, and ask for all staff to be brought up to speed.

And make sure your doc knows to put it on your notes.

Good luck.
Yes, especially a T1 diabetic! For a T2, it would be inconvenient and annoying, but for a T1 it seems to have a really significant impact and could potentially throw things dangerously out of whack. Some people might not have the understanding and awareness to manage this situation as well as you have, Alzibiff. I think it's quite a serious lapse by this GP.

M

mrspuddleduck

I'm on oral steroids and used to have steroid injections too. As soon as my late onset type 1 was diagnosed I was told I couldn't have the injections anymore because of the effect on my blood sugars. The oral steroids still give me massive problems in stabilising my diabetes. I would have serious concerns about seeing that doctor again!!!