Breakfast advise please

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, I've been fortunate enough to have toast for breakfast until the last couple of weeks, I'm now on 20 units for 2 pieces of granary bread and I still can go up to 10 mmols I do drop back down after a while.

As you may remember I've only just been diagnosed, so diet wise I'm still learning.

What do you guys do for breakfast?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ate my normal cereal when I was pregnant but had to increase my insulin and almost double it. I also injected more in advance of eating as this helped control the spike. It did become harder to control late on in pregnancy. How many weeks are you now?

Do you have anything with your toast?

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Azure thanks for your reply. I'm 21 weeks now, so not late into pregnancy, I have peanut butter on my toast, my spikes are just so high.
I'm at a real loss on what to do?
For me cereal are a no go area, they send me high and then crashing down.
My insulin needs really dropped at 13 weeks pregnant and now are going up every day. My long lasting insulin is increasing by 2 units from 14 to 20 in 7 days.
I've contacted my team and the just advise to keep doing what I'm doing.

It just doesn't seem enough.

Sorry to be so grumpy....

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
have you tried going "continental" for your breakfast ?

sliced cooked meats , cheeses , hard boiled eggs , possibly some berries with yoghurt ??

Reactions: 2 people

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I think I will have to become more organised at breakfast time, I will go shopping later and give this a try.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My insulin resistance started at around 18 weeks (I can't remember exactly) and did another jump around the 22 week mark (again only a guess). It freaked me out at first - how quickly I had to increase my insulin. I usually waited say 3 days to check it did really need increasing and wasn't a one off. I had to increase my basal significantly and my ratios went right up too.

You may have to change your breakfast or bolus more in advance. Also, do you count any carbs for the peanut butter? I find that can put my sugar up even now and even in small amounts.

I think you have the choice of keeping the same breakfast and making adjustments to your insulin and timing; choosing a lower carb bread and trying that; or choosing a different breakfast. I did have cheese on toast a few times. I also found I could have a croissant, either with butter and a scrape of jam, or filled with bacon.

Hope that helps. It sounds like your working very hard to keep good control :)

Edited to add - I also tried rye bread, ham, cheese and red pepper. That was quick to make. You could also add a hard boiled egg (boil the night before)

Last edited by a moderator:

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm almost 23 weeks and I think I've finally hit the insulin increases (I had very minor increases around week 18 but then they dropped again around week 20). I've been really surprised I haven't had many insulin increases so far. The last 2 days I've suddenly started spiking more and I'm pretty sure my time has come.

I've been doing toast for breakfast but bolusing 30 minutes before eating - not sure how successful that is yet. I may need to change my morning and lunch rates. Worried I'm just having site issues but my highs haven't been much above 10 or 11 so I think it's just the increase. So frustrating to not be sure exactly what's going on.

I had toast 2 hours ago and I'm 14 now! I'm going to wait to see if my correction dose works but otherwise I'll try changing my site to see if that's the problem. I just saw my dr on Tues and my numbers had been great the past week. Disappointing to see the change.

Becky 123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone, I needed a boost to sort it out!!
I've had berries and natural yoghurt, and I've bought a Burgen loaf, soya and linseed 10g per slice. I'm hoping these changes will be ok.
My only question is I have no idea what to inject with regards to carb ratio as that seems to be all wrong......
Fingers crossed I've got it right.

Thanks

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I find waiting quite a while for the insulin to work in the morning helps. Also mixing carbs and fat (current breakfast is half a pita with melted cheese and jalapeño peppers) or just going completely low carb (i make a large frittata with vegetables cut into portions and freeze then just take a slice out of the freezer and heat in the microwave at work). Hope that helps. It gets better as the day goes on.