Tips for Control Please

NicoleBates

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm 7 weeks pregnant and type 1, this is my first pregnancy so very new to this. Having a lot of hypos at the moment and struggling to keep to the targets of 5.3 or less before a meal and 7.8 or less one hour after, regularly 4 or less before my meal but tend to be between 8 and 10 one hour after eating. Any tips on how to control things a bit better would be much appreciated. x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The hypos are normal, but can be quite fierce. What I did was do lots of extra tests so they didn't catch me out. I also kept Lucode with me and by my bed as I found that worked faster than anything else. I also got up around 2am to test my blood sugar to make sure it was ok.

I know the advice varies from place to place, but I was told to test 2 hours after meals and try to keep my sugars under 7.8 then.That was hard sometimes. What I did was have my bolus insulin slightly early so it would already be working when the spike happened. I also did correction doses if I did get say a 10 or 11.

Sometimes, in order to get that spike down, I had to have extra insulin and then later a tiny snack in between meals so I didn't go low. I wouldn't normally bother to do that, but because pregnancy needs such tight control, I preferred to push my spikes right down and 'top up' my sugars with a little snack later if I needed to. I found that worked fine, but it may not suit everyone. The trick is not to have too large a snack!

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) There's lots of advice here if you have a read around, and please ask any more questions. We all know what hard work a diabetic pregnancy is!

NicoleBates

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The hypos are normal, but can be quite fierce. What I did was do lots of extra tests so they didn't catch me out. I also kept Lucode with me and by my bed as I found that worked faster than anything else. I also got up around 2am to test my blood sugar to make sure it was ok.

I know the advice varies from place to place, but I was told to test 2 hours after meals and try to keep my sugars under 7.8 then.That was hard sometimes. What I did was have my bolus insulin slightly early so it would already be working when the spike happened. I also did correction doses if I did get say a 10 or 11.

Sometimes, in order to get that spike down, I had to have extra insulin and then later a tiny snack in between meals so I didn't go low. I wouldn't normally bother to do that, but because pregnancy needs such tight control, I preferred to push my spikes right down and 'top up' my sugars with a little snack later if I needed to. I found that worked fine, but it may not suit everyone. The trick is not to have too large a snack!

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) There's lots of advice here if you have a read around, and please ask any more questions. We all know what hard work a diabetic pregnancy is!

That's a great help thank you so much. I am so excited but find it all a bit overwhelming too. Will give your advice a go and let you know how I get on :) x

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're welcome :)

Take one day at a time and just aim to do your best. It's impossible to get perfect sugars all the time, but if you correct them quickly and make any necessary adjustments then that's great. As your pregnancy progresses your needs will change so it's a pretty continual thing to monitor and adjust insulin and insulin to,carb ratios.

If you've got the book Think Like A Pancreas, there's a good graph in there showing how insulin needs change in pregnancy. I found it useful to look ahead so that when changes happened I was more ready for them.

NicoleBates

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fab, thanks for that I will see if I can find that book to prepare myself a little more. I am seeing the midwife for the first time next Monday and have an appointment with the diabetic antenatal team on 19th Aug so hopefully I can get some more information then. :)

Reactions: 2 people

maryamy1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arogance, Bullies, Rudeness, Discrimination towards diabetes
For hypos i'd recommend buying crates of cans of Lucozade and keep some by your bed so that when you are ill or have hypos they are there..

Other than that keep close contact with your diabetic team :)