Chia seeds

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard some people here say chia seeds are good. I bought some yesterday in the Grape Tree shop as they were half price but not sure how to use them although I did put some in a green smoothie today is that ok. Just wondered if there is any other ways to use them

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have heard some people here say chia seeds are good. I bought some yesterday in the Grape Tree shop as they were half price but not sure how to use them although I did put some in a green smoothie today is that ok. Just wondered if there is any other ways to use them
I always sprinkle some over my Greek yogurt and strawberries for breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yogurt is a good suggestion or you could use them into a stir-fry, I'm not so keen on them myself and prefer Linseeds, Sunflower & Pumpkin Seeds.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please be aware that chia seeds are very absorbent, and they can if taken dry cause choking and block the oesophagus. Particularly for people with allergies.
Mixing with a liquid before swallowing them is less likely to cause this problem.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have 2 tablespons of flaxseed and 1 of chia seeds everyday. As a T1 though I have them with a small bowl of fresh fruit salad.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Google will probably give you a much better answer than I can!

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some Chia seeds as a lot of people seem to have then on the LC/HF but I didn't fancy having them dry after reading about them possibly swelling up. I mixed some into some Almond Milk and have ended up with a jug of "frog spawn" like substance. I looked up some recipes but don't seem to have any of the ingredients to flavour them so I stirred a couple of spoonsful of the mixture into my yogurt this morning with some raspberries on top. Found that quite palatable and obviously added the nutritional benefits and bulked out my Greek Yogurt. Question is, how long will the basic mixture last in the fridge?

Biggishu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chia seeds are my breakfast staple.
Soak them overnight in Coconut Water....or tap.they form a gel.
They give me very little bounce in numbers and are as palletable as porridge .

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm so glad that I read thread, because neither choking on dry seeds or frogspawn porridge appeals to me

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They do look like frog spawn!!

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I grind my chai seeds, and add a good teaspoon to my porridge every morning, plus teaspoon of mac a powder, and a tablespoon of blueberries. Fills me up until lunch, and is slow release carb.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I accidentally bought ground chia seeds from Linwoods.. Better spread over food and they don't get stuck in teeth!!

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I grind my chai seeds, and add a good teaspoon to my porridge every morning, plus teaspoon of mac a powder, and a tablespoon of blueberries. Fills me up until lunch, and is slow release carb.
Me too

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have made this chocolate pudding. It was really nice.

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/11/chia-seed-chocolate-pudding.html

chia fg.jpg