Why do i keep going low

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am quite new to diabetes, i was diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago. i felt i was doing really well, However i seem to be going low (4.5) which i am finding its far too low for me. I wake at 6.30 have 2 weetabix with semi skimmed milk around 7 then around 9 have an apple, then a few hours later i have some carrot sticks. Then about 30 minutes before my lunch i am going low, so have to have something to make me feel better, my hands are shaking and my heart feels like palpertations. I cannot get to see the nurse until 10th August, so I thought it might be better to ask for other diabetics help!! Oh i take metformin and glicizide, not on insulin. Has anyone have any ideas ? sorry if its long winded!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi I am quite new to diabetes, i was diagnosed with type 2 a few months ago. i felt i was doing really well, However i seem to be going low (4.5) which i am finding its far too low for me. I wake at 6.30 have 2 weetabix with semi skimmed milk around 7 then around 9 have an apple, then a few hours later i have some carrot sticks. Then about 30 minutes before my lunch i am going low, so have to have something to make me feel better, my hands are shaking and my heart feels like palpertations. I cannot get to see the nurse until 10th August, so I thought it might be better to ask for other diabetics help!! Oh i take metformin and glicizide, not on insulin. Has anyone have any ideas ? sorry if its long winded!!!
Hi, @sam hunter,
I would definitely talk to your GP.
It is probably the glicizide that is taking you low!
It could also be that you are having false hypos.
A combination that would make you feel awful!

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.

Do read the low carb forum, as there some great suggestions and recipes on there!

Reactions: 2 people

pileobunnies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4.5 isn't terribly low. I'm usually in the 4.4 - 5.1 range. It does take a while to get used to being in this normal range after spending months/years at higher levels because your body has adapted to thinking high numbers are where you should be. I suspect your doctor will just say that you'll get used to this in time.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sam, as has already said, 4.5 isn't terribly low, but it's unfortunate if you are feeling rather grotty at that levels. It sounds to me like your medication may need to be tweaked, so that your medication is aligned to your bloods, rather than you having to eat to keep your bloods in a place you find comfortable.

I run low quite a lot of the time, but I feel absolutely fine unless I get right down to the very low 3s, or into the 2s. Then I just tend to feel very hungry, but as when that happens I am usually about to eat, I just get on and have the expected meal.

When you do start to feel as you describe, what do you have to make you "feel better", and where does whatever you ate take your blood score to?

If my meal is too far away for me to wait for, I usually just have a cup of tea, with milk, as that brings me up a little, so that I feel better, but doesn't take my bloods to a level I'd be unhappy with, once I've had my meal.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Copied this from blood sugar 101
Why Do I Feel Shaky and "hypo" When I Achieve Normal Blood Sugars?
If you have had high blood sugars for a while--even only moderately high blood sugars--and start working to achieve lower blood sugar targets you may find that you feel shaky and even downright sick as you bring your blood sugars down into the normal range.

This is because over time, your body has become accustomed to those much higher blood sugars and it interprets the normal blood sugar as being dangerously low. When this happens, the body secretes fight or flight hormones in order to push the blood sugars back up to what it erroneously thinks is the safe zone.

The stress hormones associated with this counter-regulatory response can make you feel dreadful. However, if you test your blood sugar during a false hypo, you will see that it is not below the 70 mg/dl (3.8 mmol/L) level that defines the beginning of the mild hypo range. That is why it is very important to test your blood sugar when you feel hypo and to only treat a hypo when it is a true hypo, not a false one. If you are not taking insulin or an oral drug that causes increased insulin secretion like glipizide or amaryl, there is no reason to treat a hypo at all as your body will recover on its own.

The symptoms you feel during a false hypo may include a pounding pulse, shakiness, a raised blood pressure and other symptoms very similar to those of a panic attack.

After a experiencing this kind of counter-regulatory response you may feel shaky for another hour or two, because of the changes the stress hormones have made in your body. You may also become a bit more insulin resistant than usual. But after some period of time which varies from person to person, your body will get used to these new, normal blood sugars.

So no matter what you feel when you first reach normal levels, try to wait it out. Your body is getting all the glucose it needs when your blood sugar is above 70 mg/dl (3.8 mmol/L). Doctors do not consider true hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to begin until under 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L). It does not become dangerous until it reaches levels like 45 mg/dl (2.5 mmol/L).

If your blood sugar has been very high for a while, you can make the adaptation process a bit easier by proceeding in stages, setting your blood sugar targets progressively lower, a step at a time. But don't stay at higher than normal levels for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Once your body does adapt, you will probably feel much better and much more energetic than before.

So be patient while your body becomes accustomed to new, healthy, blood sugar levels. Don't respond to feeling as if you were having a hypo by eating carbs to push up your blood sugar as long as your blood sugar tests at 80 mg/dl (4.4 mmol/L) or above. Give your body a chance to adapt and eventually you will feel completely normal when you have a normal blood sugar and may feel surprisingly toxic when your blood sugar reaches the dangerously high levels that you used to feel normal at.
Lower is Better
The 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L) blood sugar target is a good start, but many of us find we feel better and get even more normal health if we shoot for truly normal blood sugars and keep our blood sugar under 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/L) at all times. If you can do it, go for it. Now that we know that heart attack risk rises significantly at A1cs in the mid 5% range, getting to true normal is that much more important.
Hope you find it usefull

Reactions: 8 people

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @sam hunter,
I would definitely talk to your GP.
It is probably the glicizide that is taking you low!
It could also be that you are having false hypos.
A combination that would make you feel awful!

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you the newcomers welcome information.

Do read the low carb forum, as there some great suggestions and recipes on there!
Thank you i will take a look into it, its so hard, and so frustraitng, i hate not being in control. But i will get there, thanks again

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.5 isn't terribly low. I'm usually in the 4.4 - 5.1 range. It does take a while to get used to being in this normal range after spending months/years at higher levels because your body has adapted to thinking high numbers are where you should be. I suspect your doctor will just say that you'll get used to this in time.
Thanks for the reply, how long would i leave to test my bloods? Its a bizzare feeling, but glad im not alone. Thanks again

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Copied this from blood sugar 101
Why Do I Feel Shaky and "hypo" When I Achieve Normal Blood Sugars?
If you have had high blood sugars for a while--even only moderately high blood sugars--and start working to achieve lower blood sugar targets you may find that you feel shaky and even downright sick as you bring your blood sugars down into the normal range.

This is because over time, your body has become accustomed to those much higher blood sugars and it interprets the normal blood sugar as being dangerously low. When this happens, the body secretes fight or flight hormones in order to push the blood sugars back up to what it erroneously thinks is the safe zone.

The stress hormones associated with this counter-regulatory response can make you feel dreadful. However, if you test your blood sugar during a false hypo, you will see that it is not below the 70 mg/dl (3.8 mmol/L) level that defines the beginning of the mild hypo range. That is why it is very important to test your blood sugar when you feel hypo and to only treat a hypo when it is a true hypo, not a false one. If you are not taking insulin or an oral drug that causes increased insulin secretion like glipizide or amaryl, there is no reason to treat a hypo at all as your body will recover on its own.

The symptoms you feel during a false hypo may include a pounding pulse, shakiness, a raised blood pressure and other symptoms very similar to those of a panic attack.

After a experiencing this kind of counter-regulatory response you may feel shaky for another hour or two, because of the changes the stress hormones have made in your body. You may also become a bit more insulin resistant than usual. But after some period of time which varies from person to person, your body will get used to these new, normal blood sugars.

So no matter what you feel when you first reach normal levels, try to wait it out. Your body is getting all the glucose it needs when your blood sugar is above 70 mg/dl (3.8 mmol/L). Doctors do not consider true hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) to begin until under 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L). It does not become dangerous until it reaches levels like 45 mg/dl (2.5 mmol/L).

If your blood sugar has been very high for a while, you can make the adaptation process a bit easier by proceeding in stages, setting your blood sugar targets progressively lower, a step at a time. But don't stay at higher than normal levels for any longer than is absolutely necessary. Once your body does adapt, you will probably feel much better and much more energetic than before.

So be patient while your body becomes accustomed to new, healthy, blood sugar levels. Don't respond to feeling as if you were having a hypo by eating carbs to push up your blood sugar as long as your blood sugar tests at 80 mg/dl (4.4 mmol/L) or above. Give your body a chance to adapt and eventually you will feel completely normal when you have a normal blood sugar and may feel surprisingly toxic when your blood sugar reaches the dangerously high levels that you used to feel normal at.
Lower is Better
The 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L) blood sugar target is a good start, but many of us find we feel better and get even more normal health if we shoot for truly normal blood sugars and keep our blood sugar under 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/L) at all times. If you can do it, go for it. Now that we know that heart attack risk rises significantly at A1cs in the mid 5% range, getting to true normal is that much more important.
Hope you find it usefull
Thank you for the information, how do i detrmine a false one to a real one, when i tested this morning, when it was 4.5 i felt just like you said, heart pumping almost a panic attack, but i dont want to go too low, last week it was 3.7, i was at work and just coulnt remember how to do the job i was doing, but i felt ok, my friend said test my bloods, so straight away i had a small coke (not diet), I will take your good advice, and give it a go, so thank you for all your help, sometimes it helps to know people are feeling the same as me, i am going on a desmond course in september, so i cannot wait to get more info, thanks again

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you i will take a look into it, its so hard, and so frustraitng, i hate not being in control. But i will get there, thanks again
I noticed that what your eating, would have my blood glucose levels really high!
But I suppose that your eating what you have been told by your dsn or doctor to eat?
To be in control you have to reduce not only sugars, but carbs as well!
Bread, cereals, rice, pasta, spuds and more, do not help get you in control!
Eat to your meter!
Test before eating and then 2 hours after and if you are more than 2 mmols higher, then something in your meal is causing it! Find out what it is and avoid it!)
Do read around the forum, there is some great info by knowledgeable diabetics!

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed that what your eating, would have my blood glucose levels really high!
But I suppose that your eating what you have been told by your dsn or doctor to eat?
To be in control you have to reduce not only sugars, but carbs as well!
Bread, cereals, rice, pasta, spuds and more, do not help get you in control!
Eat to your meter!
Test before eating and then 2 hours after and if you are more than 2 mmols higher, then something in your meal is causing it! Find out what it is and avoid it!)
Do read around the forum, there is some great info by knowledgeable diabetics!
What does eat to your meter mean? My dn said to control by medication and diet, to eat healthier, little and often, sometimes i feel i eat too much, or that im not hungry. I have lost nearly a stone, which obviously the dn wants me to loose more. Just feel i am struggling and hate feeling like i do

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What does eat to your meter mean? My dn said to control by medication and diet, to eat healthier, little and often, sometimes i feel i eat too much, or that im not hungry. I have lost nearly a stone, which obviously the dn wants me to loose more. Just feel i am struggling and hate feeling like i do
If you have a meter, and I think you do! You have to find out what foods make you have high blood glucose levels. Usually these are the sugars and carbs in foods!
You test before and two hours later to see what effect they have on your levels.
Normally protein and veg (except spuds) would not raise your blood glucose levels high enough.
You test what foods you like and see if they are above 2mmols higher at two hours after than your pre meal reading.

Do have a read around, and eat to your meter, experiment and learn how to control!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@sam hunter

Hi Sam and welcome to the forum :)

To add to all the great advice you have already received, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helps you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, i think i need to do something, When i started i was so strict with myself, and thinking about it perhaps i have been a little lax. I need to go back to basics, and read alot more information on this. Thanks so much, i may call on you again if thats ok

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Sing out if we can help.

We've all been there!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, i think i need to do something, When i started i was so strict with myself, and thinking about it perhaps i have been a little lax. I need to go back to basics, and read alot more information on this. Thanks so much, i may call on you again if thats ok
Not a problem, that's what we are here for!
Keep asking, if you get a bit confused!
And we have all been there.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump

In your situation I would ask for an emergency appointment to get your medication reviewed
I would also suggest consider what you are eating.
Following NHS "healthy eating" advice for diabetics simply doesn't work for a lot of type2's on here, after reading this forum I found Low Carb Higher Fats and oils works, it has kept my blood sugar levels nicely under control, has improved my cholesterol numbers, my skin tone has improved and most importantly I feel better. Yesterday just over 6 months since I was diagnosed and nearly 4 months after going low carb high fat I went to see my diabetes nurse she was well pleased with my test results, my Hba1c results are now in the non-diabetic range and my Cholesterol numbers are really good..

Weetabix is a lot of carbohydrate and worse if it is own brand or anything other than the original manufacturers plain type it will contain sugars.. Carrots while not public enemy number one to diabetics contain carbohydrate some of which is sugar, apples even more so.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't disagree with anything in your post Sirmione, except your assessment that @sam hunter needs an emergency appointment to review his meds. I think a review makes all manner of sense, in the near future, but at a low of 4.5, I couldn't consider that an emergency.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I don't disagree with anything in your post Sirmione, except your assessment that @sam hunter needs an emergency appointment to review his meds. I think a review makes all manner of sense, in the near future, but at a low of 4.5, I couldn't consider that an emergency.

I was posting view from the perspective that the op is feeling unwell with a number of symptoms that warrant discussing with a qualified person sooner than the next available normal appointment.

sam hunter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I felt low again just before lunch, 5.2 (I know you dont consider that low), however, the syptoms were still there, hot clammy, shaking and palpatations, but on your advice last night, i worked thourgh it, i had a little something to eat, and a drink and 20 mins later, my blood sugar was the same, so perhaps it is a false hypo, i will continue to look at what i eat and monitor myself, i feel loads better that i can talk with you guys, you seem to have helped more than you know. I will keep on asking for advice