Hunger

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Hunger like that is a sign of insulin resistance.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi,

I always used to feel hungry. This advice may sound counter-intuitive, but it worked for me!

I started fasting regularly, this helped my stomach shrink and I feel fuller a lot quicker.

Water consumption, I'm convinced that loads of people confuse thirst with hunger. Real hunger is felt in the throat and it takes a couple of days to feel real hunger in my experience. I drink 3-4 litres of water a day and this massively reduces hunger pangs.

Carbs are the devil if I carb binge my hunger pangs increase exponentially.

Eat high fat, high protein calorie dense food. I don't feel as hungry a few hours later when I do this.

This makes interesting reading. I think as diabetics it's not just insulin we lack, other parts of the endocrine system are affected, I read that the beta cells are also responsible in part for appetite regulation etc.

http://www.medbio.info/horn/time 5/appetite and weight control nov06 v2.htm

I don't suffer from hunger that much, but then I can't remember the last time I felt full or fully satisfied from eating. I can put away vast quantities of food, 5,000-6,000 calories in a sitting, 2kg of steak etc (not that I do very often ha) and still not feel full! I find that very weird. There is definitely something amiss with my appetite regulation that I believe to be diabetes related.

What it is I don't know.

Your quite right about the pancreas @buckley8219 !

In addition to insulin, it produces a hormone called Amylin that regulates the speed of stomach emptying / digestion. The USA have authorised use of a synthetic version (Pramylin if memory serves me correctly), but NICE has not for the UK as it has such high potential for hypoglycaemia if not administered with great care.

@Jackie006 I do wholeheartedly recommend you check out the diet section on this website and review the quantity and quality of the carbs you're eating... as Dr.. Bernstein rightly pointed out, the more carbs you eat the greater the potential for a dosing error (esp. if your I:C ratio is out) and so you then run the gauntlet of the 'roller coaster'.

Like @buckley8219 , I've been transitioning to a lower carb diet replacing high carb foods with lower-carb versions and eating more natural products. For example, I:
  1. Only use full fat milk / cheese / butter, etc.
  2. I don't touch 'low fat foods' (their often full of sugar, salt and/or chemicals)
  3. I eat bacon with the rind on
  4. I eat chicken with the skin
  5. I don't touch cheap 'chocolate' - by that, I mean, Cadbury, Nestle, and anything with less than 70% cocoa
  6. We make our own cakes (we know what's in them - and they taste far better!), but we only have them occasionally
  7. We've replaced mashed potato with mashed carrot and swede (tastier and less carbs)
  8. We 'snack' on nuts if we need to
The www.diabetes.co.uk website team also produce some excellent recipe books! And many people on this forum will be only too pleased to pass on recipe tips and ideas, etc.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's thirst ha.

The collective "we" eat far too much in relation to our energy expenditure.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think hunger is a signal to tell you haven't eaten enough.

Unless it is carb addiction carb cravings caused by insulinresistance
For me, the answer was to cut carbs til the cravings disappeared.

Now i occasionally get hungry for real food.
The constant gnawing endless insatiable Hunger for carbs has gone.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless it is carb addiction carb cravings caused by insulinresistance
For me, the answer was to cut carbs til the cravings disappeared.

Now i occasionally get hungry for real food.
The constant gnawing endless insatiable Hunger for carbs has gone.
Lucky you, I get hungry at least twice a day.

It's the low carb magic, isn't it? I live on salads, more ore less, smothered in olive oil. And the occasional barbecued saddle of mutton, dripping with fat.

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lucky you, I get hungry at least twice a day.

It's the low carb magic, isn't it? I live on salads, more ore less, smothered in olive oil. And the occasional barbecued saddle of mutton, dripping with fat.

And lucky you @Totto - I get hungry at least THREE times a day! :bigtears:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And lucky you @Totto - I get hungry at least THREE times a day! :bigtears:
If it's a problem you could try and up your fat intake and skip breakfast.

But then I find 16:8 fast comes naturally for me, did it before I ever heard of fasting . May not suit everyone though.

I'm sure getting hungry three times a day is no problem.. What I find worrying is when people refuse to eat a mealtimes but snack constantly. Who cares if you eat once, twice or three times per day, as long as you eat what you need to eat?

Reactions: 2 people

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often have 'Hunger Bursts' . I just eat quite alot un-till im full and inject a load of fast acting Humalog to deal with it.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I often have 'Hunger Bursts' . I just eat quite alot un-till im full and inject a load of fast acting Humalog to deal with it.

How do your blood glucose levels appear 2 hours afterwards?