Exercise...

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will exercise raise or lower blood sugars?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cardio will lower it and hiit or weights will raise it - that's what I find. If it's legs lower, if it's arms and legs higher? Hope that helps?

Reactions: 2 people

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a 6.1 then went walking about 3 miles up and down cliffs, was 11.7 when I got back to the car before we went for tea. I just wondered if the walk caused the rise.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might have been a liver dump? When I first went back the gym (20 years sat on ar**) I found any exercise raised my bloods cos my body saw it as a stresser. Now I'm fitter (can change the TV without the remote now) it's hiit and weights that causes a rise. Up and down might have been "stressful". If it had been flat maybe it would have lowered.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The walk will have done you more good. I find that after a "dump" the muscles snatch back the sugar pretty quick without insulin so I'm careful about correcting. If I repeat an exercise that I know raises my sugars I will increase my pump basal rate before hand or inject (the old days on the pen). Maybe you could do something similar if on insulin?

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not on insulin yet, just metformin. Diagnosed March this year t2, so still throws me a few curveballs like today

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coming down good stuff. What did you have before walking? Could it be something you ate throwing the curve ball?
The whole thing is a learning process - you'll find a pattern then the weather changes and the pattern disappears. I do think though that the advantage of exercise outweighs the dump! If you do that walk regularly you'll build up muscle that will become faster at snatching back sugar. Also your body won't be as stressed and will calm its reaction down. That's what I've noticed happening with me.
Curve balls deffo! But being out and about and active - nothing beats it.

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1438283913.767708.jpg
views like that :) beats everything. Hadn't had anything since breakfast apart from 3 spoons of my sons lentil soup :/

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is just awesome - and how did you get the sun? We've had virtually none until the last hour or so. Looks gorgeous.

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's been dull all week, just brightening up as we're about to head home lol

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, typical British weather. But when it shines it's glorious. I'm doing a spin class tomorrow first thing so I will be all self righteous and disgustingly pious for the rest of the day.
If I take my glasses off I don't notice the sweaty bodies around me (what a view). Of course I don't sweat I glow! (Look like I'm having a heart attack at the same time though - need to control the face pulling).

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hahahahahahaha sounds like me going up the cliff today. One woman even pulled over and asked if I needed a hand #embarrasing

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Should have said to her this is my tenth lap and the last today I need to do this myself ta very much. It's when the obviously older ones sprint past and ask if you are alright that's when I get embarrassed.
Now going to pack gym bag with sugar tablets, lucozade, oat biscuits, tester kit, spare cannular, spare insulin pen and a partridge in a bleedin pear tree. Think it was the Tour de France I'm doing and not just a little plastic bike to some banging music.
Love being spontaneous! May your peaks be lower and your lows be higher tomorrow!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I find walking lowers my bg by quite a bit, always have to take a reduced bolus beforehand and sometimes have to eat additional carbs if it's a long walk (I'm a type 1).

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thx both, will keep a close eye when I get home. See if I can figure out this curveball