Insulin Sensitivity

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wondered if anyone might be like me. I am so sensitive to insulin I find it changes quick! Is it just me? I'd not any tips?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
On a pump you can change your insulin sensitivity at various points in the day. I'm more sensitive at night so that's on a different ratio to the rest of the day. It's 3.7 in the day with me. Does your vary through a 24/7 period or just from day to day? No tips I'm afraid, but if there's a pattern say weekends and work days it's good to work that out and adjust insulin accordingly with the carbs you eat.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to be pretty sensitive but I think that's partly because it's early days for me. The other night I was at 16mmol so begrudgingly took a 1 unit correction dose. Two hours in I was down to 12, and with it still having two hours or so of action I decided to eat a biscuit just in case (~9g carb). Two hours later at the end of the insulin action I was at 10, so with 1 unit of insulin and a biscuit I dropped 6mmol! Without eating I probably would have dropped about 8mmol, which seems a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fairly sensitive to insulin - when I did the DAFNE course I was on the lowest doses by a long way. I'm definitely still honeymooning which will play a part, but it does mean I can drop a long way very quickly, especially when exercising etc.

As someone else has said, look for patterns before you make adjustments. We are all different and no one knows your diabetes better than you.

Reactions: 4 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
roughly 1 unit novorapid to 15g carbs, and 1 unit novarapid correction = 1mmol reduction. However massive varying factors in stress hormones mean my BG isn't that predictable, and my insulin sensitivity goes mental.

Reactions: 2 people