Type 1.5 Unexplained drop in reading. Is this normal????

jimmymunn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I was diagnosed at the start of July so all of this is new to me. I thought i was learning and handling it all well until my reading dropped down to 2.6 two hours after breakfast this morning. I ate my standard porridge and had the standard 5 units of NovoRapid so i was expecting to be in the 7-8 level.
Is it normal to have such a weird and unexplained low reading or have a missed something?
Many thanks

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It happens from time to time. Difficult to say why as there might be lots of reasons. Weather, excercise the day before, alcohol the day before, menstruation, time you waited after injection or sometimes no reason :)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes it can be where you inject too. Once I caught a muscle (I guess) and my insulin was absorbed much faster than usual, causing a low.

Also, as you've only been diagnosed recently, it could be your body still making a little bit of insulin randomly.

I also find stress can push me low, even something simple like being late.

jimmymunn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your advice. I've some lows before but i can normally put it down to exercise earlier that day or the day before. This one threw me though as i can't think of any logical reason behind it.

Hleebirds

Hi I would keep an eye on the blood sugar over the next few days if it still drops after breakfast then I suggest reducing your Novorapid by 2 units in the morning.

I had the same problem when I was newly diagnosed back in 2011 as I am on Novo mix insulin.

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I get a mid morning low as well. The reason (I am told) is the Long acting (Lantus) is doing its thing. I'm on a tiny Novorapid dose at breakfast (to stop spikes) and even dropping this doesn't stop the low. I was only diagnosed a few months back as a type 1.5 and I believe the pancreas can suddenly produce a bit of insulin (esp. in the early days) which can cause this as others had said. Exercise can also affect levels for up to 48 hours. Just keep testing the blood! Good luck.

toner29

Hi. When you are newly diagnosed I believe you go through a "honeymoon" phase where your pancreas will sporadically still create insulin. On top of normal doses this adds up to hypos. I had exactly the same thing and it fizzled out after around 6 months. You just have to be super careful at first, then things will normalise.

Hope it all settles down for you

jimmymunn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your helpful comments. I really appreciate it.
I've looked back at my earlier readings and i have had a few times where my reading has dropped below 4 for no apparent reason. I guess this is down to the "honeymoon" period as you mention.
Sounds like the only thing i can do is to keep testing and always carry some jelly babies around.
Good luck everyone and thanks again