A Month Into Low Carbing

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm newly diagnosed and though I would recommend an app I use which has helped me immensely. From Google play it's called Carbs and Cals. It's around £3 but has picture portions to help you. You can add your own food in the my food section, add exercise and blood readings. I've brought Code free from Amazon and am very pleased with it. Like the others have said the lancets and strips are cheaper. I tend to test once daily before breakfast and it's helped me motivated myself so much. I'm a wheelchair user and now swim twice weekly using a float jacket. The only problem I'm facing is fatigue, but the kind people on here are helping me xx Hope this helps you xx

Thank you for that @BabycatDiamond (BCD) I will check it out x I find motivation to exercise is my biggest problem and you put me to shame. I use the excuse about my long standing back, hips and knees problem but that wouldn't stop me going swimming. I could go to Aquarobics with a friend but I'm not a morning person and it's too early for me. Can't get up the enthusiasm to go on my own :( I spend far too much time on this computer - it's all so interesting .. lol

Reactions: 2 people

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aww sweetie. Tbh I was like you and I'm heavy let say in the mid teens. Terrible and self inflicted, but I comfort ate for various reasons. I was put on metformin and had a bad reaction to it, and since then I vowed I would do something about it. It's difficult but that is what made me change over night. Now I'm a month in and have educated myself so much. My portion size wasn't the problem it was carbs and biscuits. Your get there, I'm still very new to all this. I'm under no illusions that it's my fault even though it's strong in both sides of my family, I just figure if I was a lot lighter I still wouldn't have it. Hope you find that motivation xx

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a bit of a tizz so haven't read the other replies which isn't like me.
Have you upped the fay as in extra virgin olive oil extra virgin coconut oil full fat yoghurt plain with whatever you want to put in full fat milk butter cream?
It's important.
When I started I budged a few pounds off and each time they came back again almost overnight.
Sometimes more would come back than I lost then it started yoyoing up and down but I was told stick with it this is the body adjusting after a lifetime of something different than what I was now doing.
Three stone gone in I think just over four months.
Raise the fat levels you eat to lose weight.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Thanks JTL x I know you don't have time to read everything but we did have a discussion earlier about my lack of weight loss and several members suggested that I might be overdoing the HF part and that they found the LC bit worked without too much fat so I cut down a bit. I thought it was worth a try but everyone is different so I will see how I go with just a little extra fat to what I'd normally have and see if it does make a difference. I know it goes against the teachings of the LC/HF diet so if I still don't lose a significant amount in a reasonable time then I will try the H/F again. xx

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Copley I was watching a video this morning. They day that if you keep LC every day your mentabilism slows. They suggested go low but a few days go higher around 150g that way it cheats your system and your metabolism restarts. I do 100g to 150 most days but I do go higher than come straight back under 100. Not sure if it's dangerous, I'm sure someone may tell me otherwise lol At the moment I'm averaging 3 pounds a week, but I'm heavier than you, think I read your 12 stones. So even if it's 1 pound in six months your be down to 10

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss and improved BS numbers!

Giving it time is the best course of action, although patience isn't my virtue either. ;)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww sweetie. Tbh I was like you and I'm heavy let say in the mid teens. Terrible and self inflicted, but I comfort ate for various reasons. I was put on metformin and had a bad reaction to it, and since then I vowed I would do something about it. It's difficult but that is what made me change over night. Now I'm a month in and have educated myself so much. My portion size wasn't the problem it was carbs and biscuits. Your get there, I'm still very new to all this. I'm under no illusions that it's my fault even though it's strong in both sides of my family, I just figure if I was a lot lighter I still wouldn't have it. Hope you find that motivation xx

I do wish you well x. It is a great big learning curve for all of us. I didn't tolerate the Metformin very well and I'm very resistant to taking pills anyway because of a severe reaction in the past so I stuck my head in the sand and hoped it would go away. Getting the Gliclazide and the accompanying monitor did me a favour really because the side effects I read about put me off taking them but the monitor and this brilliant group set me on the right path to getting the numbers down. When I think back to the time not so long ago that I would eat half a packet of biscuits dunked in my tea with sugar and chips with everything - no wonder I ended up obese and diabetic.

My husband is T2, has been for years, and now on insulin but he refuses to modify his diet and eats what he likes. Now I understand more about it I cringe when he's eating his 4 slices of toast and honey, pies, cakes etc. but he won't listen when I tell him he's slowly killing himself. (There's another thread about O/Hs who just don't even try to moderate their diet). That's his choice though so I just have to let him get on with it and worry that he'll become an invalid or worse.

I wish you well and hope you can find the strength and motivation to stick at it. xx

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father is the same. His had two strokes and a heart attack and at 81 is very lucky to be still with us. Btw I rang my doctors about my Ac1 bloods and they gave me 58 and fasting 6.6. What's this 58 for, do you know? X

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss and improved BS numbers!

Giving it time is the best course of action, although patience isn't my virtue either. ;)

Thank you. x Just plod on and keep looking forward to the new slimline me :)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My father is the same. His had two strokes and a heart attack and at 81 is very lucky to be still with us. Btw I rang my doctors about my Ac1 bloods and they gave me 58 and fasting 6.6. What's this 58 for, do you know? X

If you scroll up the page to Bluetit's reply to my post about my last test (before I started LC/HF) she explained it to me very well and gave me a link to show what the 58 means.

My O/H has had 2 heart attacks and he's only 65 (6 years younger than me) so he should have many more years to enjoy his retirement but ......????

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lol he should !!! Men can be stubborn where medical stuff is concerned. Well the men in my life including my son lol

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol he should !!! Men can be stubborn where medical stuff is concerned. Well the men in my life including my son lol

Yep! Like big kids - I want it so I'll have it regardless :(

That post I referred to is on page 2, didn't realise we'd gone onto a new page. 58 means, I think that your average BS for the previous months is 9.3 so you have to aim to get your bs readings to average as much under 7 as you possibly can to be in range. That's only my understanding though and we're not supposed to give medical advice on here so I think you should talk to your Diabetic Nurse or GP and ask them what to aim for.

I get a print out of mine after a blood test but nobody explains them - they just give you pills :(

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes thank you. My fasting was 6.6 so the receptionist said she's put it at stable. I'm sure if I don't come down next time she will probably want to see me

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Copley I was watching a video this morning. They day that if you keep LC every day your mentabilism slows. They suggested go low but a few days go higher around 150g that way it cheats your system and your metabolism restarts. I do 100g to 150 most days but I do go higher than come straight back under 100. Not sure if it's dangerous, I'm sure someone may tell me otherwise lol At the moment I'm averaging 3 pounds a week, but I'm heavier than you, think I read your 12 stones. So even if it's 1 pound in six months your be down to 10

I just have to chip in and say that for me, my metabolism hasn't slowed, and I have now been eating reduced carb for 20ish months (November 20130. I consume a tremendous amount of food, and I can add that that's often commented upon when we're out of eating with friends, and I now weight 47kg (7st 6lbs), so I'm not fuelling big bones, a heavy frame or even using energy carrying bulk around. My metabolism is friskier now than when I was eating more carbs. As my plate is always loaded with vegetables, it always looks brimming on days when I don't end up eating a lot of calories.

Others who have got themselves deliberately into longer term ketosis have sometimes commented much the same, or indeed a good deal more than me, as I don't load up on fat.

Every single one of us has to feel our way through this thing. One size just doesn't fit all.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a 5.7 this morning :) My average readings for the last 7 days is 6.00 and for 14 days 6.3. 90 days was 7.8 So does that mean I'm doing OK even though my weight is stuck again at 11st 12 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a 5.7 this morning :) My average readings for the last 7 days is 6.00 and for 14 days 6.3. 90 days was 7.8 So does that mean I'm doing OK even though my weight is stuck again at 11st 12 ?

Of course it means you are doing OK. More than OK! Well done. :)

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course it means you are doing OK. More than OK! Well done. :)

Thank you xx I think I knew that really but I just wanted someone to say "well done" (blush). Well this is the only place I get any encouragement from folks like yourself who understand xxx

Reactions: 5 people

Jo123

And a well done from me too!
I haven't found my metabolism has slowed down with low carbing at all, like Andbreathe.