What do you guys think?

Jaskot

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So literally about 3 weeks ago, I sorta self diagnosed myself with type 2 diabetes. I was paranoid about my blood sugar, because my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic. By that, my fasting blood glucose was diabetic, but my a1c wasn't quite there. So I had bought a monitor and checked my blood sugar, it was 330, then I checked it again and actually got 360 moments later and this was 3 hours after I had eaten.

When my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic all he said to me was diet and exercise, which I had been doing and kept at very well. I calculated my bmi and how many calories I needed to eat a deficit to lose weight, and i had been following that. I usually ate 2 meals a day, a big one mid day (which is the meal I had tested my blood sugar after) and then something small for dinner, would typically work out about an hour after the big meal.

I was at a weight loss plateau (or at least I thought it was a plateau), after I did my research on diabetes, it was quite clear why I wasn't losing weight.

So seeing those numbers and reading about what normal numbers should have been, I was terrified. I have chronic anxiety disorder so it was sorta amplified big time. Anyways, that day I started a lchf diet. I started learning which foods would spike my glucose and which were fine. I lost 12lbs the first week, and have been losing between 4-5 more each consecutive week. My fasting blood sugars were between 140 and 155 the first week. Now they're under 110.

I had a struggle on my diet earlier this week, I ate a pad thai dish from my favorite thai restaurant. My blood sugar 1 hour afterwards was 178, then 2 hours it went down to 140, then 3 hours back to under 120. I was surprised that I didn't shoot above 200. Does this mean that my body's insulin resistance is becoming more sensitive? Does that mean that I can have a carb meal every once in a while and be okay?

I'll be honest, on my old diet I felt so sluggish during the day. By noon I was really tired and had to have a nap. Lchf is the best diet I've ever been on, I've not had the urge to nap even once after a few days of being on it and I have a ton more energy. I do really want to adhere to it, but it is hard for me because all of my favorite foods include rice or some other starch. Though I haven't had the urge to go on a carb binge or anything since I ate the pad thai, and have continued eating lchf.

What do you guys think?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi, welcome :)

Firstly, well done on your weight loss and taking control of your diet.

As for having occasional carb 'treats' only you can say whether that is possible or desirable - be guided by your meter and blood sugar targets. I've found that the carb foods I really liked and thought I would have trouble dropping become less important as you go on. I just don't want baked potatoes, pasta or croissants now. There's plenty of other more interesting food instead.

Keep it up, and well done again!

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome, and well done on your weight loss and blood glucose results!

I have an anxiety disorder too. Have you been getting any treatment for that, such as talk therapy or medication?

1morning

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To Jaskot,
I am new to the forum. I read your post "What do you guys think? Just wanted to thank you for a great post.

I am very Inspired to try low carb, but don't know how to get started?

I am exhausted all the time, I was raised on meat, potatoes and pure cane sugar.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that all the things I used to love no longer taste as good, sometimes I will have a little taste but I've gone right off all the carby things I used to eat. I still love chocolate however and I have found I can actually tolerate it and my BS is back under 100 after 2 hours so in regards to can you eat a carby meal, well only you can answer that question for yourself. Maybe to reduce the impact of such a meal you could reduce the portion size so it has less of an effect on your BS.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @1morning If you wanted to give LCHF a go there are specific forums on DCUK that you can browse through. There is also a "what have you eaten today" thread which gives you a great insight into the LC way of eating. When I started to go LCHF I just googled it and started reading. I also found Pinterest a great place to find recipes. It can be hard at first trying to make the changes but you get there in the end. I used to eat the same as the rest of the family so when I started out I would just have less potatoes and less bread but then I gradually weaned myself off them altogether and I have a good LC recipe collection now.