A Month Into Low Carbing

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I had a 5.7 this morning :) My average readings for the last 7 days is 6.00 and for 14 days 6.3. 90 days was 7.8 So does that mean I'm doing OK even though my weight is stuck again at 11st 12 ?
Sounds good to me. Don't do yourself down though - you reported a 2lb loss earlier this week so being the same weight a few days later doesn't really count as being stuck! I weigh myself every day and I'm not worried if I add a pound from one day to the next - that's just natural fluctuation - it'll come off again, and as long as the trend is downwards it's all good. So, if you haven't dropped another pound after the weekend THEN I'll give you permission to say you're stuck!!:p

Reactions: 2 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a well done from me too!
I haven't found my metabolism has slowed down with low carbing at all, like Andbreathe.

Thank you xx

Sounds good to me. Don't do yourself down though - you reported a 2lb loss earlier this week so being the same weight a few days later doesn't really count as being stuck! I weigh myself every day and I'm not worried if I add a pound from one day to the next - that's just natural fluctuation - it'll come off again, and as long as the trend is downwards it's all good. So, if you haven't dropped another pound after the weekend THEN I'll give you permission to say you're stuck!!:p

:) Thank you.xx I know I'm just being impatient to see it come off. Others have reported such huge losses but then, as someone pointed out, I didn't start out greatly overweight so it might be slower. I'll try and be a bit more patient (til after the weekend anyway) ;)

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well after BBQ on Saturday where I was really good but did have a lot of the allowed stuff I had gained 2lb yesterday :( Dropped it again this morning but I am still on 11.12 so I'm allowed to say I'm stuck :rolleyes:

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alright then - you're stuck!:(
I was 2lb up myself this morning. It's irritating but it means nothing - just a bit more bulk in the digestive system than yesterday. A lot of the dietary advice says to only weigh yourself weekly so you don't see the fluctuations, but I just can't resist looking every morning.
ONWARDS! :joyful:

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alright then - you're stuck!:(
I was 2lb up myself this morning. It's irritating but it means nothing - just a bit more bulk in the digestive system than yesterday. A lot of the dietary advice says to only weigh yourself weekly so you don't see the fluctuations, but I just can't resist looking every morning.
ONWARDS! :joyful:

Yep, on with the battle :D Good luck to you xx

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So .. really fed up now. Some people said "eat more fat" and others said "you don't have to load it on" so I did a week of eating hardly anything on the premise that even if I wasn't doing to LC/HF diet, given that I've cut out so much sugar and not had a single forbidden thing I must surely lose a pound at least. Here is my not recommended, probably unhealthy, menu for last week:

SUNDAY 2ND AUGUST

Brunch: cheese and mushroom omelette
Snack 2 Tuc biscuits
Dinner: Pork Chops, cauliflower & mixed veg, 1 mini roast potato, gravy

MONDAY 3RD AUGUST

Brunch: Tuna mayo on half HP Roll
Dinner: Fried up pork chops & stirfry leftover veg

TUESDAY 4TH AUGUST

Breakfast: Peanut butter on half HP roll
Lunch: Full fat Greek Yogurt + Strawberries
Snack: few almonds and pistachios
Dinner: Hardboiled egg, 2 slices Ham, mixed salad

WEDNESDAY 5TH AUGUST

Brunch: Egg, sausage, bacon, tomatoes
Snack: almonds & pistachios
Dinner: haddock fillets and stir fry veg and strawberries and cream

THURSDAY 6TH AUGUST

Breakfast: fried egg and mushrooms greek yogurt and strawberries
Snack: bag of pork scratchings
Dinner:2 Iceland broccoli & cauli Creamy gratins, stir fry peppers

FRIDAY 7TH AUGUST

Brunch: Hard boiled egg dipped in mayo, Greek yogurt with chia and sunflower seeds
Snack: Pork scratchings
Dinner: Savoury mince over courgette spaghetti

SATURDAY 8TH AUGUST

Brunch: Hard boiled egg, 2 slices ham, Greek Yogurt. 6 Almonds 6 pistachios
Dinner: Iceland Cauli & Broccoli Gratins, mashed cauli with butter

SUNDAY 9TH AUGUST

Brunch: Greek yogurt with raspberries
Dinner: Hard boiled Egg, 2 slices of ham, salad

Never lost a pound :( BS all 5s and 6s.

Had a mind flip this morning and had a toasted bacon sandwich. Call it rebellion. Didn't even enjoy it much. Bread tasted "sweet". Is that because I haven't had the taste of carbs for so long? Blood sugar 3 hours after 8.7 :(

I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Feel like giving up but want to keep the BS down.

Reactions: 6 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how horribly frustrating this is, I cannot tell you why aren't you losing weight, but, I have been in stages where I didn't lose any weight even if eating very very low carb (virtually non). And other stages where I have lost a lot. Hormonal fluctuations, medicines, stress, all can have an influence. On the plus side, it is amazing to keep your BGs between 5 and 6! That is an achievement on its own right.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know how horribly frustrating this is, I cannot tell you why aren't you losing weight, but, I have been in stages where I didn't lose any weight even if eating very very low carb (virtually non). And other stages where I have lost a lot. Hormonal fluctuations, medicines, stress, all can have an influence. On the plus side, it is amazing to keep your BGs between 5 and 6! That is an achievement on its own right.

Thank you x I wouldn't mind if I had even had a "lost a lot" phase but apart from the initial loss of water I presume I haven't :(

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's some drastic eating right there. That little food surely can't be good for you, reduced sugar or not.
If I may, you haven't lost a pound for a few weeks - that's a disappointment to be sure, but in no way can it be considered a drastic problem. We have a lifelong condition to manage and I for one am looking for a long-term lifestyle change rather than a quick fix. I don't think you're doing yourself any favours by going onto starvation rations.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's some drastic eating right there. That little food surely can't be good for you, reduced sugar or not.
If I may, you haven't lost a pound for a few weeks - that's a disappointment to be sure, but in no way can it be considered a drastic problem. We have a lifelong condition to manage and I for one am looking for a long-term lifestyle change rather than a quick fix. I don't think you're doing yourself any favours by going onto starvation rations.

I know you're right Geoffers :( I just had a melt down today. Once more unto the breach .. and all that.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So .. really fed up now. Some people said "eat more fat" and others said "you don't have to load it on" so I did a week of eating hardly anything on the premise that even if I wasn't doing to LC/HF diet, given that I've cut out so much sugar and not had a single forbidden thing I must surely lose a pound at least. Here is my not recommended, probably unhealthy, menu for last week:

SUNDAY 2ND AUGUST

Brunch: cheese and mushroom omelette
Snack 2 Tuc biscuits
Dinner: Pork Chops, cauliflower & mixed veg, 1 mini roast potato, gravy

MONDAY 3RD AUGUST

Brunch: Tuna mayo on half HP Roll
Dinner: Fried up pork chops & stirfry leftover veg

TUESDAY 4TH AUGUST

Breakfast: Peanut butter on half HP roll
Lunch: Full fat Greek Yogurt + Strawberries
Snack: few almonds and pistachios
Dinner: Hardboiled egg, 2 slices Ham, mixed salad

WEDNESDAY 5TH AUGUST

Brunch: Egg, sausage, bacon, tomatoes
Snack: almonds & pistachios
Dinner: haddock fillets and stir fry veg and strawberries and cream

THURSDAY 6TH AUGUST

Breakfast: fried egg and mushrooms greek yogurt and strawberries
Snack: bag of pork scratchings
Dinner:2 Iceland broccoli & cauli Creamy gratins, stir fry peppers

FRIDAY 7TH AUGUST

Brunch: Hard boiled egg dipped in mayo, Greek yogurt with chia and sunflower seeds
Snack: Pork scratchings
Dinner: Savoury mince over courgette spaghetti

SATURDAY 8TH AUGUST

Brunch: Hard boiled egg, 2 slices ham, Greek Yogurt. 6 Almonds 6 pistachios
Dinner: Iceland Cauli & Broccoli Gratins, mashed cauli with butter

SUNDAY 9TH AUGUST

Brunch: Greek yogurt with raspberries
Dinner: Hard boiled Egg, 2 slices of ham, salad

Never lost a pound :( BS all 5s and 6s.

Had a mind flip this morning and had a toasted bacon sandwich. Call it rebellion. Didn't even enjoy it much. Bread tasted "sweet". Is that because I haven't had the taste of carbs for so long? Blood sugar 3 hours after 8.7 :(

I'm between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Feel like giving up but want to keep the BS down.

Oh Copey, I do feel for you. How long has your weight appeared stagnant? I deliberately use appeared, because some people have found their loss isn't linear, but almost notches. My bloods used to notch down, more than my weight.

Please don't give up, and please don't lose sight of what you're actually, actually trying to do here, which is control your diabetes. Whilst weight loss is extremely beneficial, your absolutely number one priority really has to be keeping your blood numbers down, followed by a secondary weight loss to further improve matters.

When I was diagnosed, I was about to travel overseas for a period of months. At that time, I didn't own a set of bathroom scales over there, and I decided I wouldn't be buying any, so as not to deflect myself from my (for me) only goal of getting my bloods into a good place. My logic was weight loss, but bloods still poor = failure. No weight loss but great bloods = success. That was my take.

Over time, I lost weight, but I didn't step on the scales until about 3.5 months after diagnosis, and that was only because I was so fed up of people asking how much weight I had lost and having to say, "no idea". When I did eventually weigh myself, it was in a hardware store, on a set of mechanical scales, through their packaging! By then I was about to return an HbA1c of 37.

I only invested in scales over there when I reached a point of wanting to maintain my weight, and measuring was the only way to take that additional control. From then on, I have been ensuring my weight has remained stable.

Finally, what's happening with your clothes? Do they feel any different?

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Copey, I do feel for you. How long has your weight appeared stagnant? I deliberately use appeared, because some people have found their loss isn't linear, but almost notches. My bloods used to notch down, more than my weight.

Please don't give up, and please don't lose sight of what you're actually, actually trying to do here, which is control your diabetes. Whilst weight loss is extremely beneficial, your absolutely number one priority really has to be keeping your blood numbers down, followed by a secondary weight loss to further improve matters.

When I was diagnosed, I was about to travel overseas for a period of months. At that time, I didn't own a set of bathroom scales over there, and I decided I wouldn't be buying any, so as not to deflect myself from my (for me) only goal of getting my bloods into a good place. My logic was weight loss, but bloods still poor = failure. No weight loss but great bloods = success. That was my take.

Over time, I lost weight, but I didn't step on the scales until about 3.5 months after diagnosis, and that was only because I was so fed up of people asking how much weight I had lost and having to say, "no idea". When I did eventually weigh myself, it was in a hardware store, on a set of mechanical scales, through their packaging! By then I was about to return an HbA1c of 37.

I only invested in scales over there when I reached a point of wanting to maintain my weight, and measuring was the only way to take that additional control. From then on, I have been ensuring my weight has remained stable.

Finally, what's happening with your clothes? Do they feel any different?

I hear what you're saying and I know it makes sense. It is just all about the BS really but I've struggled with my weight for years and never managed to stick to anything for long but the diabetes gave me a big incentive and I was looking forward to trimming down being as I committed wholeheartedly to it.

Nothing happening with my clothes - still got the pregnant looking belly, no waist and no change in measurements.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@copey399 joined your thread late, so not actually read from the top... bad.
Do you mind if I ask how active you are?
I found that changing my feeding habits, low carb but not really going high fat... more protein and veg, combined with some pretty active walking helped me a lot. Not really into snacking.
I only weigh myself once fortnight, as has been mentioned water retention can really play around, so over the longer term spreading the weigh in session makes it less of a daily battle.... it is a medium term battle.... and to finish off the weak analogy... the war will be won!!!

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Do you measure yourself on the weeks you haven't lost weight? You might be surprised.

Also if you don't eat enough then the body will hang on to the weight so it's could be more effective to eat three meals a day.

Only my take on things but the decrease in bs is the main thing - so keep on .....

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@copey399 joined your thread late, so not actually read from the top... bad.
Do you mind if I ask how active you are?
I found that changing my feeding habits, low carb but not really going high fat... more protein and veg, combined with some pretty active walking helped me a lot. Not really into snacking.
I only weigh myself once fortnight, as has been mentioned water retention can really play around, so over the longer term spreading the weigh in session makes it less of a daily battle.... it is a medium term battle.... and to finish off the weak analogy... the war will be won!!!

Activity is a problem for me as I have a long standing back problem and my knees aren't great. Even gentle walking causes me considerable pain. I did dig out my air-walker thingy and started off doing a bit on there but I'm afraid this computer is too darned interesting so I tend to sit a lot (blush) I think I will stop weighing every day as it's pretty useless anyway. Best to see if my clothes start feeling looser I think.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you measure yourself on the weeks you haven't lost weight? You might be surprised.

Also if you don't eat enough then the body will hang on to the weight so it's could be more effective to eat three meals a day.

Only my take on things but the decrease in bs is the main thing - so keep on .....

Yes I do measure but no change. Would like to have a waist again .. lol. You're right about not enough food but being a bit of a late riser and not fancying anything til later on I find breakfast tends to run into lunch a lot of times so it's "brunch". Maybe I should start setting the alarm clock and get up in time to have B/L/D. Worth a try. I also need to plan ahead more and get in that kitchen more often instead of leaving it til I'm hungry and then wanting something "quick fix".

I'm not giving up and back on track (thumb up)

Lizzypier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear what you're saying and I know it makes sense. It is just all about the BS really but I've struggled with my weight for years and never managed to stick to anything for long but the diabetes gave me a big incentive and I was looking forward to trimming down being as I committed wholeheartedly to it.

Nothing happening with my clothes - still got the pregnant looking belly, no waist and no change in measurements.

Hello...I have similar weight and height to you. Also lost 5kg in first month...just keeping going. But I have a piece of bright yellow wool and a sharpie! My little trick is to measure round my waist (middle!) and make a mark on the wool, each week I do this on the same piece and as the marks have moved up it is a nice visual reference to the mid line getting smaller. A kind of pat on the back when I look at it - and I keep it magnetted to my fridge door! Best of luck.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello...I have similar weight and height to you. Also lost 5kg in first month...just keeping going. But I have a piece of bright yellow wool and a sharpie! My little trick is to measure round my waist (middle!) and make a mark on the wool, each week I do this on the same piece and as the marks have moved up it is a nice visual reference to the mid line getting smaller. A kind of pat on the back when I look at it - and I keep it magnetted to my fridge door! Best of luck.

Good idea if it works for you.x I just use an ordinary tape measure but it never seems to move. As I think I said, my weight has come of my legs and bum which I never had a problem with.

I had a wobble yesterday. Never planned ahead and had nothing tempting and low carb (couldn't face another salad) and O/H fancied a take-away as he'd been out all afternoon and wanted something quick. He went for fish and chips (yes he's diabetic too) (rolls eyes) and I opted for 8 pieces of breaded scampi and a corn on the cob (blush). BS was 8.4 2 hours after but I got a 5.6 first thing this morning. That's lower than some of the ones I get when I've been good all day! I'll never understand these BS figures.

BabycatDiamond (BCD)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hunni. Can I recommend an app, in Google play, called Carbs and Cals. It's a paid app costs a few pounds. It's helped me tremendously!. I try to keep to 100g of carbs a day and am finding I loose roughly 2 pounds a week, although everyone is different. You just put what you have in the app. You then select portion sizes by different amounts shown in pictures. There is an area where you put your own foods in, from packaging. It really is very easy to use. I'm disabled but try to swim twice a week for 45 mins, with a float jacket each week , although I haven't been for two weeks as I've been I'll. The trick is to cheat your body. So for a week keep to 100g then for a few days go higher. Then when you drop again it should kick start your metabolic rate. Good luck hunni, I really hope things get better xx

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi hunni. Can I recommend an app, in Google play, called Carbs and Cals. It's a paid app costs a few pounds. It's helped me tremendously!. I try to keep to 100g of carbs a day and am finding I loose roughly 2 pounds a week, although everyone is different. You just put what you have in the app. You then select portion sizes by different amounts shown in pictures. There is an area where you put your own foods in, from packaging. It really is very easy to use. I'm disabled but try to swim twice a week for 45 mins, with a float jacket each week , although I haven't been for two weeks as I've been I'll. The trick is to cheat your body. So for a week keep to 100g then for a few days go higher. Then when you drop again it should kick start your metabolic rate. Good luck hunni, I really hope things get better xx

Thank you x I did join MyfitnessPal which is a similar thing and free but I found it a bit tedious filling it all in. What with keeping my own record including BS readings, plus that and this forum being so informative I feel like I spend too much time on here and not enough time moving about .. lol. I appreciate your taking an interest. I hope it continues to work for you xx