Injected wrong insulin.....

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hello everyone,has anyone made the mistake I made over the past few days? Or am I the only idiot.....
I inject 22 units lantus a.m. and 3 units apidra lunch and tea....since Tuesday I had been getting hypos left right and centre,felt sick, trembled, sweated, the works.....took myself to bed and hoped I'd be better next day,injected in the morning and within 30 minutes felt so ill again.....whilst in my confused muddled head state I checked insulin to find I had injected rapid of 22 units,obviously had done the same day before. I can not answer how I got the pens muddled.......contacted d.n. who told me to eat carbs like no tomorrow, difficult when throwing up......I went as low as 2.9 thank fully my daughter came to help....jelly babies lucozade,carbs and by late afternoon I came around.....today right insulin but feel so wiped out......anyone else out there done this??????

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi axle 222
you are not alone on this one -- although I have not done it 2 days in a row :)
i injected my novorapid at evening meal twice a few months ago and then it is just all hands to the pumps on the carbs front for the next few hours -- we are human after all.

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think we've all done it at some point...make the most of it...big piece of chocolate cake is in order me thinks :). Hope you feel better :)

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi axle 222
you are not alone on this one -- although I have not done it 2 days in a row :)
i injected my novorapid at evening meal twice a few months ago and then it is just all hands to the pumps on the carbs front for the next few hours -- we are human after all.
Thank you,I feel such a numpty, but boy do not want those mighty lows ever ever again!!!

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Think we've all done it at some point...make the most of it...big piece of chocolate cake is in order me thinks :). Hope you feel better :)
Thank you Natalie,just feel a numpty....but apart from feeling hungover today( without having enjoyed a drink),getting back on track.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your not the first and you won't be the last to do this @axle 222, try and keep the pens separated (if possible) to avoid this happening again.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Your not the first and you won't be the last to do this @axle 222, try and keep the pens separated (if possible) to avoid this happening again.
Thank you.....I for the life of me do not know how the 2pens got into the same draw....a mistake that won't happen again......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I once injected my basal (lantus) twice before setting off for a night-shift, realised as soon as I'd finished the second dose and then panic set in :(

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Axle.
Yup been there done that, in fact I caught myself only just the other day mixing my rapid and levemir in the morning rush (needle actually in my leg with thumb on plunger) so it does happen and I think we shouldn't beat ourselves up about it.

Feeling wiped out for a couple of days can also be expected, I know when I have had severe hypos it can knock my energy levels into the gutter for a few days so I would say don't worry about that too much.
It may well be that with the high levels of rapid you managed to cook off all your body's reserves so just be aware you may be a little more prone to hypos for a few days to come.

Otherwise don't worry about it. It's in the past and you can't do anything about it there. Just try and find a system that will stop you doing it again :)

For me that consists of usually having my levemir on top of the dresser and the rapid pen is either in the kitchen or on the bedside table. For the most part it works, the other morning was due to me emptying my pockets (rapid pen included) onto the dresser the night before.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.

/A

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey Axle.
Yup been there done that, in fact I caught myself only just the other day mixing my rapid and levemir in the morning rush (needle actually in my leg with thumb on plunger) so it does happen and I think we shouldn't beat ourselves up about it.

Feeling wiped out for a couple of days can also be expected, I know when I have had severe hypos it can knock my energy levels into the gutter for a few days so I would say don't worry about that too much.
It may well be that with the high levels of rapid you managed to cook off all your body's reserves so just be aware you may be a little more prone to hypos for a few days to come.

Otherwise don't worry about it. It's in the past and you can't do anything about it there. Just try and find a system that will stop you doing it again :)

For me that consists of usually having my levemir on top of the dresser and the rapid pen is either in the kitchen or on the bedside table. For the most part it works, the other morning was due to me emptying my pockets (rapid pen included) onto the dresser the night before.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.

/A
Thank you Andy, very much for that,sums up exactly......Yes levels are lower today,thank you for explanation,hopefully wipe out will go by weekend....has made me feel better knowing others have done the same.....I certainly checked checked and checked on injecting today....cheers.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I once injected my basal (lantus) twice before setting off for a night-shift, realised as soon as I'd finished the second dose and then panic set in :(
Thank you had so many kind replies off people doing this,has made me feel better about it......

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another good idea is to have different coloured pens for your insulins...if you use Novopens they come in a few different colours I have red for rapid and blue for levemir...hopefully the colour should set off an internal alarm. Having said that...I'm sure it'll be a while before you do it again...although I'm sure you will...I know I've done it more than once...it happens.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Another good idea is to have different coloured pens for your insulins...if you use Novopens they come in a few different colours I have red for rapid and blue for levemir...hopefully the colour should set off an internal alarm. Having said that...I'm sure it'll be a while before you do it again...although I'm sure you will...I know I've done it more than once...it happens.
The lantus solostar and apidra solostar are very alike,but I've now put colored bands on apidra,given it a new home downstairs a d hope I never do it again...
Thanks Natalie.....it's great getting reassurance.....

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So there is a reason to stay pre-mixed !!!

Glad it turned out ok.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I have a red pen for my NovoRapid and Grey for the Levemir. I only have a single injection of Levemir each day and put the pen on my pillow for my bedtime injection. Haven't made a mistake yet but the day will come.....

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi. Yes, I have a red pen for my NovoRapid and Grey for the Levemir. I only have a single injection of Levemir each day and put the pen on my pillow for my bedtime injection. Haven't made a mistake yet but the day will come.....
Thanks diabell, I'm being extra vigilant now.....have got stickers and bright bands on the apidra now,have given it a " home" downstairs so hope I never ever make that mistake again .....

Reactions: 4 people

Gary61

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funnily enough I injected 22units of fast acting Humalog insulin instead of my Lantus at bedtime. I had to stay up until around 4am getting through umpteen slices of toast and jam together with a full bottle of lucozade. Not the best of nights and boy was I tired the next day. The trouble I think is that we all sort of get into an automatic type mode which basically switches off the decision making part of the brain....that's my theory anyway :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Funnily enough I injected 22units of fast acting Humalog insulin instead of my Lantus at bedtime. I had to stay up until around 4am getting through umpteen slices of toast and jam together with a full bottle of lucozade. Not the best of nights and boy was I tired the next day. The trouble I think is that we all sort of get into an automatic type mode which basically switches off the decision making part of the brain....that's my theory anyway :)

Thank goodness you noticed and didn't just go to sleep :eek:

Jackie006

I did this one night injected 22 units of apidra instead of lantus had to stay awake for hours just kept eating anything to get sugars up luckily all was fine but scary

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you.....I now realise it's easy done....scary....but over comerble ( if that's the word).....