Cinnamon

observer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm new at this but I felt I had to post a bit of advice about the cinnamon thing and diabetes. Yes it may help with blood sugar control but PLEASE read up on it before you contemplate it because there is a chemical in it that can do more damage than good. I hope I'm not being patronising as I'm sure you all have more sense than me!

Reactions: 2 people

Apple tree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I'm new at this but I felt I had to post a bit of advice about the cinnamon thing and diabetes. Yes it may help with blood sugar control but PLEASE read up on it before you contemplate it because there is a chemical in it that can do more damage than good. I hope I'm not being patronising as I'm sure you all have more sense than me!
Hi there, I put a little cinnamon on certain thing because I heard it was good for you I have T2 is it not good to use then.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do a search on here and you will find that it is the supermarket kind that is dubious but the Ceylon type is fine.

observer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks I will have a look xx
Hi again , cinnamon contains coumarin which if taken in teaspoon full can cause liver damage and be harmful to kidneys as well .
It may also react with other drugs. Ceylon cinnamon has less.
You can get something called Cinnulin PF from health stores that has had the coumarin removed, and is meant to be as effective, or apparently you can remove the coumarin by filtering it through a coffee filter because it's not water soluble where as the goob bit is? I assume you do it as you would coffee?
I found all this mainly on the People's Pharmacy . Hope it's of use.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm not aware of any robust scientific evidence that cinnamon has health benefits. Tastes good though.

Reactions: 6 people

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again , cinnamon contains coumarin which if taken in teaspoon full can cause liver damage and be harmful to kidneys as well .
It may also react with other drugs. Ceylon cinnamon has less.
You can get something called Cinnulin PF from health stores that has had the coumarin removed, and is meant to be as effective, or apparently you can remove the coumarin by filtering it through a coffee filter because it's not water soluble where as the goob bit is? I assume you do it as you would coffee?
I found all this mainly on the People's Pharmacy . Hope it's of use.
Any chance of citing your sources please? I want to take a look at it myself but want to make sure I get the information right.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

Hi @observer. I actually take Cinnamon tablets rather than sticks or powder. The tablets I take are made with the preffered Ceylon Cinnamon. When I was diagnosed, I looked at many different supplements reported to help reduce & stabilise blood glucose. I decided to give the Cinnamon a try. I came across a fantastic UK based company who produce all manner of supplements using high grade ingredients. Because they are a web company, selling their products on their own website & Amazon, they are WAY cheaper than high street health food stores or online company's who widely advertise and bombard you with junk mail and catalogues. I've been taking the tablets for over 3 months now....and they have helped enormously. I take two 2000mg tablets a day. One in the morning with a snack. And another at bedtime with something carby...a cracker, piece of cheese or whatever I have in. Within a few weeks of taking the Cinnamon, my fasting blood glucose dropped & has remained in non-diabetic range. The company is called VitaminRox. I've just checked their website & they're currently out of stock. However, Amazon have their own stock of VitaminRox Cinnamon, which I've just bought. £4.99 for 90 tablets. That's a 3 month supply. I hope my own experience using Cinnamon to aide me with my FBG helps you reach a decision. Best of luck. X

Take a look at this: http://examine.com/supplements/Cinnamon/ For all of the scientific info. X

Last edited by a moderator:

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @observer. I actually take Cinnamon tablets rather than sticks or powder. The tablets I take are made with the preffered Ceylon Cinnamon. When I was diagnosed, I looked at many different supplements reported to help reduce & stabilise blood glucose. I decided to give the Cinnamon a try. I came across a fantastic UK based company who produce all manner of supplements using high grade ingredients. Because they are a web company, selling their products on their own website & Amazon, they are WAY cheaper than high street health food stores or online company's who widely advertise and bombard you with junk mail and catalogues. I've been taking the tablets for over 3 months now....and they have helped enormously. I take two 2000mg tablets a day. One in the morning with a snack. And another at bedtime with something carby...a cracker, piece of cheese or whatever I have in. Within a few weeks of taking the Cinnamon, my fasting blood glucose dropped & has remained in non-diabetic range. The company is called VitaminRox. I've just checked their website & they're currently out of stock. However, Amazon have their own stock of VitaminRox Cinnamon, which I've just bought. £4.99 for 90 tablets. That's a 3 month supply. I hope my own experience using Cinnamon to aide me with my FBG helps you reach a decision. Best of luck. X

Take a look at this: http://examine.com/supplements/Cinnamon/ For all of the scientific info. X
Thanks for this info. It's a really interesting site and I'm going to have a good look around it. I'm glad cinnamon has helped you. I read the (very good) article you linked and looked at the abstracts of some of the key studies of the 19 it cited. While the laboratory studies showed an effect (which means the results are promising for humans), the human trials didn't conclusively show that cinnamon reduces blood glucose in diabetic people. That doesn't mean I think your experience isn't real, or that cinnamon wouldn't help any of us if we tried it. It could well help. But so far there haven't been scientific studies strongly showing that it is effective for this use. I think the studies that exist show a lot of promise though, and I hope more research is done on cinnamon. I don't feel I need to try it out at this time, but if others want to give it a try it's probably worth a go. And if I have trouble reducing my BGs after improving my diet again, I might give cinnamon a try. At least it's not an expensive supplement.

Last edited by a moderator: