Thinking of stopping my Metformin for good

shirty252

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was taking 2000mg of Metformin per day & 1 omeprazole, so my stomach could tolerate it, I also take levemir & novorapid.
For the last 2 days I've missed taking my Metformin & feel so much better..my joint don't hurt so much my stomach feels better.
Has anyone done this & what was the long term affects ? I might add I am using a little more insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin only ever has a small effect on blood sugar but helps a bit if you are overweight. The only real advantage of having Metformin with insulin is that it helps reduce other risks such as heart problems (apparently). BTW Metformin SR (Slow Release) is the version to have if you have stomach/bowel problems with the plain version.

Reactions: 2 people

el fish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am type 2 on insulin,(for the past 12 years) Metformin really didn't work from the start;I was put on just about every conceivable combination of tablets, none of which succeeded. So I was put on Insulin. To my surprise I was asked to take Metformin as well, even though it was acknowledged to make no difference to my blood glucose level. Apparently it slows the onset of kidney disease which is where all diabetes is leading. Just recently I tripped over an article in Scientific American [July issue page 17 'The Science of Health'] claiming that Metformin may slow the effects of ageing. They quote a study conducted University of Wales in Cardiff; It isn't just about blood glucose !