Help

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I need help. I am type 2 on oral meds and have been for 20 years. the Dr has changed my meds to another combination as old one wasn't working. Now things are even worse after food readings of 15 and above. I have a lot of other medical problems and never looked after my diabetes really as I have never been told what to do. I don't seem to be able to eat anything without getting high levels. I'm feeling so depressed and alone and need help

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya and welcome. This is a great forum and I'm sure you'll find the help and support you need. We've all been there. I'll ask @daisy1 to give you her great guide to managing your diabetes, taking int account your other health issues.
Have a good read and ask more questions :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Craig
the first and main thing -- you are not alone !!!
daisy has been tagged and she will give you lots of good reading to help you get a better grip on the D.
just hang in there and keep posting -- we're a good group and will do our utmost to help you.

all the best

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome, this is a great forum for support and info. There are probably people here with the same other medical conditions as you have, who might be able to share ideas for optimising things. If you feel comfortable sharing, let us know what the other ones are and maybe we can help.

Reactions: 2 people

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just have not taken it seriously for 20 years and now I am hitting 45 it seems that all the things I should have known about are coming to bite me. I have been told to look at carb amounts and I just don't have a clue. I don't eat sweet things or have any pop unless coke zero. I run on treadmill 3 miles a day but I think it's all too little to late.

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have depression anxiety and don't leave the house alone. Diagnosed OCD ,ibs and a few other things. Also don't read or spell too well.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
well done for sharing -- it can't be easy -- I must admit I am thinking that you have taken that first important step of asking for some assistance and over the next few days hopefully you can start to regain some of that lost control.
It is going to be hard -- there will be good days and some not so good but it is really important to realise that this is a long long race -- a marathon if you like -- not a sprint -- so just try to take things 1 day at a time and not stress about the blips along the way

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I just have not taken it seriously for 20 years and now I am hitting 45 it seems that all the things I should have known about are coming to bite me. I have been told to look at carb amounts and I just don't have a clue. I don't eat sweet things or have any pop unless coke zero. I run on treadmill 3 miles a day but I think it's all too little to late.
Be gentle with yourself. You did the best you could with the information you had at the time. Now that you have more info, you can make better choices. Diabetes is partly caused by lifestyle, partly by genetic/biological factors that we can do nothing about. So it is not completely our fault. Some people get diabetes despite having a really healthy lifestyle. Also, running 3 miles a day is awesome! That will be helping you a lot.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have depression anxiety and don't leave the house alone. Diagnosed OCD ,ibs and a few other things. Also don't read or spell too well.

I have battled with depression and anxiety too, and a family member has OCD. Are you getting treatment for it, such as talk therapy and medication? IBS seems very common, especially in people with anxiety. My IBS tends more towards constipation so I take some medications and psyllium fibre for that. There are also treatments that can help if your IBS tends more towards diarrhoea or is equally both kinds.

Overall I think you are doing great! It's understandable that you may find it hard to see it that way. I am confident you will get your diabetes under control and will feel much better when you do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

So you were diagnosed at age 25 as a type 2?? 20 years ago...and beenon tabletse er since?

What are your meds being changed to?

Running on a treadmill 3 miles a day is goodbut your myscles snd body get used to this so you need to make things tougher for yoyrself to work your body snd muscles more. Wirher changing to include geadual hill climbs or to give random sprints etc..

One thing is especially good though...it is never too late to change....and this forum is great for support.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to how you must be feeling as I suffer from Stress, Anxiety, Depression and Insomnia and two of my daughters have OCD and my son, another daughter and my granddaughter have ASD so I know it can sometimes feel hopeless but at least you have found the forum, it is definately a step in the right direction. I come on every day as I find it lifts my mood and I find that it just makes everything a little easier to cope with when you have the support from other like minded people.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@craig0121

Hello Craig and welcome to the forum :)

You have done the right thing coming onto this forum and have already made several friends who have come along with good advice. Here, as mentioned above, is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask as many questions as you want and you will get answers.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 3 people

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was taking janumet 50/1000 twice a day. And my hba1c had gone up so Dr has changed me to competact 15/850 twice a day. I have been taking the competact now for 2 months and bs on own test have gone from 10s to 15 sometimes 20.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Whatever blood suagr problems you are having now rest assured that there will be a solution. Can you let us know a bit more about yourself e.g. your BMI and whether you are on other meds which can sometimes affect blood sugar. The low carb diet will help but there are other medication solutions if needed.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Craig, you mentioned that you have problems with reading and spelling, Not sure if you have learning difficulties or not but even if you haven't, if there is anything in the answers that you're not sure about or just don't understand, don't worry, just say so.

I know you have been on tablets for a long time so it must feel pretty hopeless at the moment but it's not. I had similar issues to you with anxiety but there is lots you can do to help improve your diabetes and that is to change what you are eating, it's more than likely that which is pushing your numbers up. Meds will help, but most of the work will need to come from you.

When you eat, it's really important that you reduce your carbs, because they turn to sugar in your blood. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta - can you eat half the amount that you would have normally? You can fill your plate up with meat, eggs, fish. Try and avoid cereal, cornflakes, even the stuff like bran flakes and fruit and fibre - all turns to sugar.

Could you tell us the type of things you eat just now, your meals for the day and any snacks? Then we can help you with some suggestions to make changes.

By the way..I found out I was diabetic in 2011. Since then, with the advice here and on another great forum, I have had low levels for a few years, have lost nearly 6 stone, have survived a very rare cancer (and it's horrible treatment!) and also have coped with the death of my 28 yr old son last year. You can do this Craig, small steps to start with.

Reactions: 5 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello Graig and welcome.
Stick with the forum and you will get help and support.
My blood sugar went down in three weeks eating the right sort of food,i was amazed at the change.
I have suffered from anxiety and I know how bad you can feel,I couldnt go out alone either,and supermarket queues were a no no .
I have gone on Citralapram and now feel much better,its baby steps at first and being kind to yourself.
All the best dont be afraid to post,there is always help.

craig0121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 45 , 5f11" weigh 13 stone. Medication as well as the one I have told you about. Mirtazapine 45mg venal flexing 150mg. Lisinopril 2.5mg. Lyrica300mg. Omeprazole20mg. Quinine sulphate300mg. Risperidone0.5mg. Buspirone5mg. Buscopan10mg.
It is very hard for me to get to see anyone with not leaving the house alone. I also due to an assault a few years ago will not see a male or none English doctor. Just in case I'm not racist it's my mental health.