Borderline Diabetes.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
In 2000 I went to see my GP cos I had symptoms of Diabetes (peeling lots + drinking lots). Had blood test done and GP told me I was "borderline"! 6 months later went on Metformin and shortly after attended a 1 day lecture/group at local hospital where I found out there is no such thing as "borderline diabetes" = you have it or you don't. Was anyone else diagnosed this way?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Liam wrote, "there is no such thing as "borderline diabetes" = you have it or you don't"
Nonsense! Have you seen this, https://twitter.com/diabetescouk/status/342654280404189184 It is called "50 shades of diabetes". Roughly speaking, current guidelines call the first row "non-diabetic", the second row "pre-diabetic" and the third row and beyond "diabetic". The change over points between the different diagnoses are simply a matter of current opinion and convenience, so that people can be categorised and treated according to guidelines.
Best to stay on the top row and as "green" as you can get. Once your results begin to turn red, or orange-red, you may be on a slippery slope, best not to get there, or if already there, do something about it.
Sally

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and given good info on how to avoid becoming diabetic, and what it would be like if I got diabetes. However, I wasn't sufficiently scared-off by this info and made few changes and was diabetic within a year. I often think if my GP had been blunt and clearly said make big changes or you will end up with serious problems I might have taken more notice. Nowadays when someone tells me they are prediabetic, I do the tough love thing with them, in the hope that they can avoid slipping into diabetes like I did. A prediabetes diagnosis is an early warning sign that should not be ignored.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with CatLadyNZ, a diagnosis of prediabetes is a sign that shouldn't be ignored. My father has been prediabetic for about 3 years and my brother has just recently found out he is prediabetic but neither of them are changing a thing about their diet so it wouldn't surprise me if they end up Type 2 eventually.