Throwing an idea out there - please feel free to shoot me down if this has been said before

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must admit I haven't had a bad set since moving pumps to non wired
i have never used a bad set in over 6 years of pumping, mainly using steel sets with a wired pump, apart from the tubing problem mentioned - and Medtronic sent a "signed for" letter to every user about that a little later, they discovered very fast that it was a manufacturing error relating to one batch of sets

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What confuses me on research for pump set failure or problems or Tyson of DKA are not measured... There isn't one single NHS OR Pump company that has ever asked me to state or record the qty of high readings (without admission to hospital) or readings with ketones, or set failures.

If they are going by the qty recorded to MHRA... Well that is nonsense... Because how many pump users have done that. I was the only one on here saying 41/2 years ago that Accuchek had problems with their sets, and I was the only one on here that contacted MHRA.....

So where exactly are they getting their research data from?

Reactions: 3 people

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Animas also redirects to a 24/7 support line in the US but it is technical support not medical support.
Yes, Medtronic line is technical support also - but anytime i might need medical support i could leave a phone message on the nurses line and they get back quickly in working hours. I dont use the line much but its good to know its there

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's probably right I say that I have been pumping for around 6 years but have had on and off malfunctioning with pumps. I maybe the secret test piggy although I know it has felt like that, so I am aware my experiences are way down the other routes from a lot of others. I guess for me personally the wired sets always either we faulty I. Some way malfunctioned part way through. I would say though the sites were fine 85% of the time On wired. Now are more 95

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What confuses me on research for pump set failure or problems or Tyson of DKA are not measured... There isn't one single NHS OR Pump company that has ever asked me to state or record the qty of high readings (without admission to hospital) or readings with ketones, or set failures.

If they are going by the qty recorded to MHRA... Well that is nonsense... Because how many pump users have done that. I was the only one on here saying 41/2 years ago that Accuchek had problems with their sets, and I was the only one on here that contacted MHRA.....

So where exactly are they getting their research data from?
Good question!!!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's probably right I say that I have been pumping for around 6 years but have had on and off malfunctioning with pumps. I maybe the secret test piggy although I know it has felt like that, so I am aware my experiences are way down the other routes from a lot of others. I guess for me personally the wired sets always either we faulty I. Some way malfunctioned part way through. I would say though the sites were fine 85% of the time On wired. Now are more 95
It sounds as if you have had a bit of bad luck with the wired sets, glad the Omnipod much better

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What medical support would you like spiker?
Just referring to the earlier comments that in a pump problem situation some of you have been trained to call 24/7 support and get a nurse. That was not part of our training and we did not, do not, get that support. Even in the first 2 weeks DSN support was not 24/7.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just referring to the earlier comments that in a pump problem situation some of you have been trained to call 24/7 support and get a nurse. That was not part of our training and we did not, do not, get that support. Even in the first 2 weeks DSN support was not 24/7.
Got you!

Sorry it wasn't in The Roche training

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the Medtronic pump for 18 years . I have had two pump failures . I also got 4 batches of bad infusion sets. The first pump failure was caused by me putting my pump in my bra . Keeping mind what we know now is not what we knew then. The second failure was the battery compartment . The infusion sets were more annoying to me than the pump failures .