Need advice please!

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys im gonna keep this as short and sweet as possible so thanks for reading

Heres my issue if anyone cares to go back and read my prevuios posts youll see that my goal is to be on an insulin pump but because of psychological issues with acceptance and such my endo thinks its not a good idea for me to be pumping right now on the basis i could develop DKA very quickly therefore he wont put me into the pump clinic... My issue is that i feel im getting nowhere on MDI ive had good periods of control on it but mostly not too good... I feel like im being pushed around in circles by the doctors because to me it seems as though im being told i cant have the thing that will help me without proving i can live without it... its SO frustrating and certainly not helping with any of my problems.. i understand doctors have to put your safety first but i feel im worse off staying on injections for another year and a half (been told thats the least amount of time i should still be on mdi)
Am i speaking sense or am i in the wrong? im gonna raise these issues with the doc on monday so hopefully some progress can be made
Novowolf

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
the pump takes alot more work than DMI, if you are feeling depressed this could be neglected until the depression passes (which it will hopefully, is it diabetic burnout?)

Hospital visits can cause this, so maybe ask if you can be seen every month or 2 instead of every 2 weeks, you never know it may help with the downer you are having atm

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Such a difficult one to comment on given your psychological issues @novowolf.

When you use a insulin pump your relying on it to deliver both your basal and bolus doses, so should the pump fails or you have problems with an infusion set you can be in trouble within a few hours as you've no background insulin in your system, that is why on a pump your at a greater risk of DKA if you don't monitor your bg levels carefully.

Keep speaking with your Endo and also ask if you can see a counsellor to help you come to terms with things. I wish you well.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I agree totally with what noblehead has said.a very wise comment.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that you may need help to overcome the psychological problems, but can you let us know what you find difficult with MDI and perhaps we can help. Sometimes the advice given for those on insulin is good but not optimal for the person so we may be able to help a bit.

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Basically what it is is that im very active and like to be out and about all day every day between seeing my family and doing 2 jobs.. (one paid one voluntary) im often up ready and out the door early in the morning and dont return till about 7/8 at night and sometimes forget to bring insulin pens/neddles etc with me i know theres not really any excuse for that as thousands of others do it everyday no problem but it happens to me far more than i would like.. i also dont eat regular meals i eat little and often as if i eat large amounts i can feel quite ill due to how much running about places i do.. It just seems to me as if the pump is the best way for me to go because if thing is attached to me 24/7 it means less to worry about for example i dont need to worry that j might accidentaly forget it.. I also feel id be more likley to remember to take all my required insulin if it was attached to me all the time but thats just my opinion

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, I can see that a pump in many ways is better for you. I guess remembering to take the Bolus with you is the biggest problem. I usually remember but not always. I only normally have two Bolus per day and one Basal which I place on my pillow for nightime use. Hopefully you will get your pump eventually.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Being attached to your insulin is not always the solution to forgetting to take it. I've still managed to forget. Hell, I've left the house without the whole darn pump before! Plus, you still need to be very vigilant about when your next change will be required soley on how much insulin you are packing but of course the pump can fail at any moment, by losing battery, freaking out for some unknown reason or because any part of the connection blocks/fails/is rejected by the body. I find you have to carry far much MORE with you when pumping than I ever did on MDI. If you forget that emergency kit of supplies you can get into trouble very quickly indeed so I understand why a Dr would wish for you to be able to remember all your current medication before upping the pressure with a pump. As someone with depression, when it hits me hard finding the energy to care about changing the set, making sure it is working or doing anything about if it isn't can be VERY hard. As others have said I would continue to push for a pump while also addressing other aspects in the mean time. I hope it works out for you.

Julez2890

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi novowolf... I got my pump last October and I must say I love it and find it a lot easier to manage my diabetes... There's different types of pumps mine is quite cool as when i do my bloods before meals I can tell the monitor how many carbohydrates I am going to take and it automatically calculates what insulin I need and bluetooths it to the pump and delivers it automatically- so that would be a great benefit for you and will take away the hassle and pain of taking injections! You must just remember to keep on top of doing your blood sugars... Hope you get everything sorted :)

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys im gonna keep this as short and sweet as possible so thanks for reading

Heres my issue if anyone cares to go back and read my prevuios posts youll see that my goal is to be on an insulin pump but because of psychological issues with acceptance and such my endo thinks its not a good idea for me to be pumping right now on the basis i could develop DKA very quickly therefore he wont put me into the pump clinic... My issue is that i feel im getting nowhere on MDI ive had good periods of control on it but mostly not too good... I feel like im being pushed around in circles by the doctors because to me it seems as though im being told i cant have the thing that will help me without proving i can live without it... its SO frustrating and certainly not helping with any of my problems.. i understand doctors have to put your safety first but i feel im worse off staying on injections for another year and a half (been told thats the least amount of time i should still be on mdi)
Am i speaking sense or am i in the wrong? im gonna raise these issues with the doc on monday so hopefully some progress can be made
Novowolf

I might be the only one here to think this but my depression actually got better with the pump . I felt very similar to what you are describing . I have had my pump for 18 ( soon to be 19) years . I was busy back then and working all the time and did have a problem with "forgetting" . I also have Attention Deficit Disorder so I tend to be very scattered anyways . I feel much more free on the pump. One of the reasons I got the pump was for meals and not having to eat at certain times as I would forget to eat too :) I understand their concern for you of course :) just try to keep pushing forward and don't give up on this journey to get the pump !

novowolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is exactly what I feel will happen if I get given the pump hence why I'm pushing so hard to get it ha-ha