Tinned salmon recipes?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've always loved salmon and pickled onion sandwiches but now I'm not eating bread I need some ideas on what to do with all teh tinned salmon in my cupboard - I'd just stocked up on a load of half price red salmon when I stopped eating bread!
I've never used it for anything other than sandwiches, apart from with a salad now and then but I can only stomach a salad in warmer weather ;)
Any ideas please, I've got a complete mindblock on ideas - every time I look at a can all I can see is a lovely sandwich with fresh crusty bread!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
you could try it mixed in with cauliflower cheese? I tried this with tinned tuna for a similar reason and it was rather yummy.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 4 small tins of red salmon every week. I mash it and have it with a mixture of large pickled onions, cheese, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, mayonnaise, and half a slice of Seed Sensations bread and butter. I have it for lunch and this meal does nothing to my levels. I cut the half slice of bread into fingers so it looks more, and make diddy little sandwiches.

Reactions: 2 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you could try it mixed in with cauliflower cheese? I tried this with tinned tuna for a similar reason and it was rather yummy.

That sounds promising, thank you :)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 4 small tins of red salmon every week. I mash it and have it with a mixture of large pickled onions, cheese, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, mayonnaise, and half a slice of Seed Sensations bread and butter. I have it for lunch and this meal does nothing to my levels. I cut the half slice of bread into fingers so it looks more, and make diddy little sandwiches.

I've not tried the any bread yet, it would be far too tempting to have more than a slice and I want to get my levels down a bit more before I try some. Never had mayo with it but that could be good on a couple of crispbreads :)
Diddy little sandwiches, I love the sound of that but I'd want too many! :D

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And as if by magic I've just received the low carb tortilla wraps I ordered, never had them with salmon but I will be very soon :D

Andrew Brown

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Other
You can either try grilled and baked Salmon or simple and tasty pan fried Salmon cakes, which can be easily prepared with salmon, eggs, onion and black pepper. Try it today.

Hope you liked it!!

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Salmon in scrambled eggs or omelette.
Salmon with sweetcorn, peppers and tomato.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How weird. I just looked in my store cupboard for something quick to snack on as I'm just going out to stock up on low carb stuff and wondered exactly the same about my tins of salmon. Then there was this thread ..lol.

Some good tips, thank you x

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone on here mentioned making fishcakes with tinned salmon and mashed avocado.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mashed with avocado and some ground almonds....made into a cake and fried in butter is delicious ...also try some Lidl High protein rolls if you want some kind of acceptable bread. They are big and tasty and low carb (half is enough if you dont want to risk a whole one )...they don't seem to have any effect on bg ( I eat a whole one every day without any rise in bg)

karencymru

Mashed with avocado and some ground almonds....made into a cake and fried in butter is delicious ...also try some Lidl High protein rolls if you want some kind of acceptable bread. They are big and tasty and low carb (half is enough if you dont want to risk a whole one )...they don't seem to have any effect on bg ( I eat a whole one every day without any rise in bg)
I tried your salmon and avocado cakes (just those two ingredients) and really liked them. Thanks for the idea

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried your salmon and avocado cakes (just those two ingredients) and really liked them. Thanks for the idea
I only added a little ground almond to help hold them together a bit....but saying that, just chilling the mix in the fridge for a short while does the same job :) Glad you enjoyed them :)

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
I thought anything in a tin was not good for us.....added this and that etc.....Can I eat tin sardines, tuna or mackerel? Some are in tomato source or in oil etc.....Am I missing something here? Would love to eat sardines again!!

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought anything in a tin was not good for us.....added this and that etc.....Can I eat tin sardines, tuna or mackerel? Some are in tomato source or in oil etc.....Am I missing something here? Would love to eat sardines again!!
@Robcz Check the labels but as far as I can see is nothing but the fish and maybe some brine in what I have.....tuna and salmon have nothing sinister in them and mackerel in tomato sauce has only fish and tomato paste + water so don't see any reason not to eat them

Reactions: 3 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
@Gazzabelle I have read that tomato ketchup is the worst we can eat.....My question...Is there a difference between tomato ketchup and tomato paste?

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gazzabelle I have read that tomato ketchup is the worst we can eat.....My question...Is there a difference between tomato ketchup and tomato paste?
I can only say my Mackerel in tomato sauce has 2.3g of carbs (which is sugar) in 100g and I have eaten it without any problems. You can get sardines without the sauce ...up to you if you want to eat them or not but I have no problems with either salmon, tuna or mackerel in tomato sauce

Reactions: 3 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks @Gezzabella...I will give them all a try and see if they make a difference to my BG....Nice to get opinions on personal levels....I was a bit worried to eat them.....

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tomato ketchup is way sweeter than tomato paste in the tube/jar so I presume it has added sugar ? I just find it unbearably sweet now. Fish4Ever does tinned wild fish in organic oils, you can get tuna tinned in spring water in any supermarket. Poundland, 99p Stores, Home Bargains should all have cheap tinned/pickled fish/seafood.

Whether you have it in brine, oils, tomato sauce or something spicier. Sainsbury's has Brunswick brand wild sardines canned in Louisiana hot sauce for example. I guess it depends what you like, what spikes you and whether you want to be additive free - some of the tinned seafood has additives.