Slim fast diet need information

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi has anyone tried the slim fast shakes diet and has it worked, I want to try it?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Reducing overall calories usually works, in losing weight. Diet shakes can give you a helping hand, but it is important to ensure you get a balanced diet with enough nutrients to avoid deficiency. It can also be a waste of money as some of these products are way more expensive than they should be, often to allow for big profits in their network marketing scheme. There is a lot of money to be made off people desperate to lose weight. You might be able to make healthy, low calorie shakes at home.

Another thing to keep in mind is learning how to make permanent changes to the amount and type of food you eat, so you don't regain weight after stopping the shakes. Personally I am wary of ultra low calorie diets, such as less than 1,800 calories a day. I guess 1,200 a day might be ok short term, but some people eat only 600-800 calories a day, and I just don't see how that is healthy. But each to their own I guess. Like I said, it's just my personal opinion, your mileage may vary.

Also note that rapid weight loss increases the risk of gallstones in people who have risk factors for that. A strict diet will usually see 2-3kg weight loss in the first week, which is mostly water. As a general rule of thumb I think any more than 1kg loss per week is too fast.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi has anyone tried the slim fast shakes diet and has it worked, I want to try it?
Have a look at some of the Newcastle diet threads on here. Lots of people have posted about successful BG control and weight loss using a variety of low calorie meal replacements.

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks , isn't the Newcastle diet for type 2 because I am a type 1

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, recommended for T2, but relevant to your question.

m786xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I was looking for something for type 1, I was wondering if anyone had tried slim fast and if it worked .. Sorry I should have clarified that when I wrote the topic lol