Spike

Michaelt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I had a plate of rice, chicken and some vegetables for lunch yesterday. Before lunch it is 5.7, 1 hr it was 12.3, 2 hr it was 6.5. Is this ok?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Good morning michaelt
You need to work out what sort of levels you are aiming for. When I first started testing my meals I set myself a few rules, if anything sent me into double figures it was off the menu and a 2hr rise of more than 2 means I need to look at portion sizes or replacing some thing in that meal.Rice always sent my levels into orbit, I would have had extra veg with a knob of butter or maybe cauliflower rice.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Rice almost certainly was the culprit ... and perhaps any added sauce?

Jo123

It would not be ok for me I endeavour to keep n within non diabetic levels so 7.8 1 hour after eating for me to avoid diabetic complications. I suspect rice may be the cause, try testing without rice.

photognut

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I had a plate of rice, chicken and some vegetables for lunch yesterday. Before lunch it is 5.7, 1 hr it was 12.3, 2 hr it was 6.5. Is this ok?

I like rice, but it doesn't like me - neither do potatoes, wheat and any grain. Are you hoping someone will tell you it's ok?
Ok, I'll say it's ok until you decide when it's not ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Its is definitely NOT okay. That is a massive jump. Dump the rice.

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult one - on the one hand if you only did a two hour reading the result would be great as your BS only increased by 0.8. I think it was the rice that raised your levels by so much after 1 hour however it would be interesting to know whether the same spike would be seen in non diabetics as they can also have a big rise in BS after an hour. I have similar when I eat re-heated rice or pasta in that my BS rises fairly significantly after 1 hour but drops down to an increase of between 1 - 2 after 2 hours which I'm happy with as it is within the correct levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with Daphne even non diabetics can have a quite significant BG rise after certain foods like the starchy stuff ie rice pasta potatoes etc but should be back to normal levels after 2 hours just as you were and that was good so not a worry I would have thought.

Reactions: 4 people