Chalk it up to experience

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I won't be trying that again At my last check up at the diabetic clinic the nurse said my hb?? (Can't remember the rest of it) was excellent 5.8 down from 11 so to stop taking gliclazide and no need to test my bloods any more so like an idiot I stopped the tablets but continued testing I buy my own test strips etc. the next day my bs was up in the 11s but persevered with diet & exercise didn't change anything in my diet after 3 days I felt dreadfull.
Gave up and went back to taking gliclazide I have tried twice more to see if I could do without it but my body can't cope with the high sugar levels I guess my body needs the Glicazide still
Sorry for the long post, in a nutshell I go with how my body feels and not how the nurse says I should feel
Sorry for rant
Jan
Have a nice weekend folks

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
If you hadn't achieved the reduction by diet alone in the first place then why would she think it's ok to stop the gliclazide suddenly?

Hope you're feeling ok now.

Reactions: 4 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I know feeing I have just had my Metformin reduced to two per day and as a result my fasting BG readings are up, as I am already low carbing and have been fairly active over the period it looks like I will have to go an extra mile on my diet and reduce my protein intake.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well I won't be trying that again At my last check up at the diabetic clinic the nurse said my hb?? (Can't remember the rest of it) was excellent 5.8 down from 11 so to stop taking gliclazide and no need to test my bloods any more so like an idiot I stopped the tablets but continued testing I buy my own test strips etc. the next day my bs was up in the 11s but persevered with diet & exercise didn't change anything in my diet after 3 days I felt dreadfull.
Gave up and went back to taking gliclazide I have tried twice more to see if I could do without it but my body can't cope with the high sugar levels I guess my body needs the Glicazide still
Sorry for the long post, in a nutshell I go with how my body feels and not how the nurse says I should feel
Sorry for rant
Jan
Have a nice weekend folks
I had the same experience (Not with nurse but with gliclizide) I started on max dose gliclizide and as I lost weight and got my numbers under control managed to slowly reduce it to 40mg twice a day - but have never been able to drop that last dose. I tried extreme low carb with less than 30g of carbs per day but my numbers crept back up though not as quickly as yours. I am settled to the fact that I need that last dose and about 80 - 90g carb a day to get a good HbAc result.

Some of us are further down the line than others and may NEED melds rather than want them, it isn't always possible to control by diet and exercise alone and that's ok!

Reactions: 10 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I think @lovinglife said it best but I would like to add that if anyone is going to come off meds the general rule of thumb is to do it gradually. If I am doing this I always ask the doctor how slowly to come off something... usually it is approx 1/3 of the dose per 3-7 days. One med I came off, an antidepressant, I was taking half then a quarter of a capsule at the end, because if the withdrawal effects. I would break open the capsule into a medicine cup, add 20ml of water then drink 5 or 10ml. Sounds like a lot of hassle but if you are finding it hard to come off a drug then slowly is a good way to do it, if possible.

Reactions: 6 people