Pre pregnancy help please

pinkbeckyann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!, high sugar levels, low sugar levels, people who think they are diabetes experts when they have no clue!
Hi! I a type 1 diabetic, me and my husband are desperate to start a family. I have recently started using an insulin pump and over the last year and a half have got my hba1c down from 14% to 8.6%. Do you think this is still too high to start trying? Should I try and get it down further? I'm so desperate to start our family but I'm terrified something might go wrong!

I'd be grateful for any help :)

jade88

Hi pinkbeckyann welcome! Are you attending a pre conception clinic? I attended one at my local hospital for 6 months before trying and they helped me get my hbac1 to below 7 before giving me the green light
They also like type 1 to take folic acid for at least 3 months before trying to conceive good luck! xxx

pinkbeckyann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!, high sugar levels, low sugar levels, people who think they are diabetes experts when they have no clue!
Hi! Thanks for your reply :) yes I've been to pre preg, I have folic acid and they advised to get it in the 7's then I can start trying but I guess I impatient! Do you know what the risks are if I did get pregnant now, or even at 7%??xx

jade88

Sounds like your doing everything right! I know exactly what you mean it's hard when you've made the decision to have a baby not to be able to start trying straight away!
I think there is higher risks of miscarriage and health risks for baby but I think if your hbac1 is in the 7's and you have tight control during pregnancy you should be ok - there's been quite a few girls on this forum who have had unplanned pregnancies with higher hbac1's so it is possible xxx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey pinkbeckyann .

You have done amazingly well to bring you hba1c down to 8% , that's some dedicated work , I agree with what jade has said above women have had healthy baby's on higher hba1cs ( but also can cause health problems for baby ) , so is it worth the risk I know it's annoying waiting to try to conceive but your so nearly there with your hba1c .
I personally would wait Untill I hit the 7% range but obviously is entirely up to you what you choose to do .

Good luck with the rest of your journey x

pinkbeckyann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you both so much :) I think I will wait, I don't want to risk anything bad happening, and it's only 12 weeks until my next hba1c...I must learn to be patient! It's just so hard when you feel so ready! 4 girls at work are pregnant so I'm surrounded by bumps and it makes me sad that I have to wait. Getting my hba1c down has been the toughest thing I've ever done, so I guess 3 more months won't hurt! :) xx

Reactions: 4 people