Is there anywhere you can't bear to inject?

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Faye,
No random places or marks. I've always been told to keep an eye out for this sort of thing. The doctor said he just thought the thigh area from above my knee to top of leg seemed a bit harder / chunkier - just a bit musclier really. I always try varie the areas at which i inject all over the thighs. (Untill now using the belly area)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use my thighs and bum (I'm on a pump). If I use a pen for my bolus I sometimes use my arms just for a change.

When I was first diagnosed I wouldn't have been able to do my arms at all, but after all these years I don't care. I like to pinch up so, not having a third hand, I kind of squash my arm against something to replicate the pinch effect.

I don't use my tummy because the absorption is poor. But it's my least favourite place anyway. I can't bear the feel of the needle when it goes in my tummy. It makes me feel very squeamish.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I using the best / correct areas?

I used all along the top of my thigh mainly, now all within a couple of inch around my belly button. Where abouts on your arms did you inject...?

Im using 0.4mm needles (used to have 0.6)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Never been able to use stomach.. Have tried again recently since coming off pump and back to MDI. On stomach with 4mm needles now insulin leaks out and at other times just forms in to small lumps and then starts itching. Never get these probs ysing bum cheeks. Have tried using legs recently and they are ok too.. No probs at all. Stomach.. I have skin, but no fat... So perhaps this is reason.. Punching skin on stomach makes it even worse.

Arms are ok but are very muscly and lean and again no fat, so tend to feel injections in my arms more than if using other areas.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Justin, Just read your thread. I use 0.4mm needles on my Insulin pen, I don't feel the needle puncture the skin. If I am going to be doing a lot of walking I inject in my thighs ( which I vary the site - in the sides and top front of thighs) however, the Insulin is absorbed much slower. Injecting insulin in your tummy is absorbed much quicker. I lightly massage the injection sites with baby lotion when sat relaxing/watching tv, this seems to prevent me from having "lumps" under the skin. I hope this is of help to you.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I also massage every site after an injection.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am I using the best / correct areas?

I used all along the top of my thigh mainly, now all within a couple of inch around my belly button. Where abouts on your arms did you inject...?

Im using 0.4mm needles (used to have 0.6)

On my arm I inject the outer upper arm in the same area as a doctor would give you an injection. I pinch it up but you may not have to.

On my thighs I use the top and also the outer side.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On my arm I inject the outer upper arm in the same area as a doctor would give you an injection. I pinch it up but you may not have to.
On my thighs I use the top and also the outer side.
Regarding injecting on your arms, do you mean the bicep area? above the elbow

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Bonus.
Yes that's the area to inject in. I hope this answers your query.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes. If you do that corny bicep flexing thing like Popeye does, it's the lower/outer bit of your arm. The bit above your elbow bone :)

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ill have ago when i man up to it lol. I just know im going to stick the needle right into my bicep or tricep muscle! and scream.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I pinch up so haven't caught a muscle (yet!) If you pinch, it may help if you get a willing friend to pinch up for you as that's easier than what I do - squashing my arm against a table or similar to replicate the pinch up effect!

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to needles and I don't think the arm hurts :) Like any place, occasionally you'll get a sensitive spot, but if you choose well it should be ok. Practice makes perfect :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There's a diagram in the following showing where you should inject insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

If you raise the arm up that you are going to inject into and come in underneath with your pen hand it makes it much more easy to inject, but like all injection sites just be sure to rotate otherwise you end up poor insulin absorption in those areas.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a diagram in the following showing where you should inject insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

If you raise the arm up that you are going to inject into and come in underneath with your pen hand it makes it much more easy to inject, but like all injection sites just be sure to rotate otherwise you end up poor insulin absorption in those areas.

That link doesn't work for me, is it opening for others?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That link doesn't work for me, is it opening for others?

Hi @bonus, apologies that the link isn't working, just go to Google images and type in Insulin Injection Sites.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I'm going to have to try that! I used to always use a cushion to get the 'pinch' like @azure but I don't bother since having the 0.4mm needles.

I also used to have a real phobia about injecting into my tummy, even though I'd heard people saying it was the easiest and least painful. Can't remember what made me try it but I use it loads now! I try to rotate around arm, leg, bum and tummy.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I don't pinch the skin @BeccyB and haven't done since using the small pen needles, but I've found it to be the easiest way of injecting in the arms.

Lauraprime1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always injected :
Fast: stomach (within the smile shape hip to hip)
Slow: outer thigh

I found if I inject I the front of my thigh as soon as I take the needle out its like s water gun of blood ! Lol many paint jobs done on my side of the bed

x L x

PamelaJane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I recently started injecting at night, just nice a day at the moment. Last night after I injected it felt quite painful and this morning I have a fair sized bruise? Help? Should I be worried, have I done something wrong?

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You've hit a small blood vessel. It probably happens to us all every now and then. Don't be too concerned unless it becomes a regular occurrence.