Has anyone heard of diabetic mastopathy?

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type one, have been for 32 years and have never been told about this condition. Should I not have been warned? I was diagnosed at 10. Have had it for 20+ years and I have never heard of it until Thursday.

S

Shar67

I hade never heard of it either but googled after you post, it seems there is less than 1% of breast disease that this is the cause
It can be found with self regular checks same as feeling for lumps related to cancer, though sometimes fibres cannot be felt.
I presume you have felt lumps or pain in breast area, the other thing this can affect men as well so hopefully after your post type 1 people will check themselves and not ignore pains or lumps
It was found about 30 years ago so relatively new, and your GP may not have known about it, due to low instances

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Shar67. I am in the middle of getting the diagnosis of a lump! Have to wait for results but the consultant mentioned it in passing!! I do hope it can help as I had never heard of it before.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Shar67 , I'm so sorry, but I have closed the tab I had it on, and can't reopen it, but there has been research on it (as you would expect), including one comparing with some other sufferers with autoimmune disease.

Good luck with the investigations. It must be a tense time for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Phoebe2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @AndBreathe and @CarbsRok
I have read various bits and it doesn't seem too horrendous in itself. I have Dupytrens in my hands anyway so I think it is like that just in another place.
My mind is rather full of possibilities at the moment!! Roll on Thursday!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @AndBreathe and @CarbsRok
I have read various bits and it doesn't seem too horrendous in itself. I have Dupytrens in my hands anyway so I think it is like that just in another place.
My mind is rather full of possibilities at the moment!! Roll on Thursday!!

I can't recall what the percentage is, but allegedly a very high percentage of breast lumps are inconvenient, but absolutely benign.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: 2 people