Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I just wanted to 'bump' this thread up as many new members need the advice but don't know their way around the forum well enough to find this info.

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I've been following Viv's guidelines for 2wks now and my BG levels are now in the normal range-hurrah! So far I've dropped 9lbs in weight with another 3stone 7lbs to go thanks for your clear easy to follow directions Viv, I feel so well

Reactions: 11 people

suehatton

Re: Viv's Diet

It does work.....no doubt about that !

I followed a very similar regime but with a few exceptions, the main one being I didn't eat high fat.....I reduced them for medical reasons.

The diet still worked though. I lost over 5 ½ stone (35 kgs) in about 9 months....... :D It's still off although I now can tolerate more carbs.
I know this was a few years but Im curious to know if you kept the weight off

suehatton

Asdas frozen Butchers selection beef mince is 100% beef and yet over 3% carb. How can that be? I thought meat was carb free?

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am type 2. Viu, you said to eat three meals a day. In the low carb forum they advice intermittent fasting. So I try to avoid breakfast and have a late lunch.Its like 14:10. Is it Ok? Just started this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2. Viu, you said to eat three meals a day. In the low carb forum they advice intermittent fasting. So I try to avoid breakfast and have a late lunch.Its like 14:10. Is it Ok? Just started this.

Hi,

Don't worry - no one advises that low carbing needs intermittent fasting at the same time.
At least, i hope they don't. They are two different things.

However, a lot of people who low carb have found that some form of intermittent fasting works for them as well. But it definitely isn't obligatory!

Reactions: 3 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have lost 17lb so far on low carbs but I kinda lose 2lb then add 1 even though all I eat iOS a small bowl of porridge each morning then I eat two salads a day, one with cheese and one with fish for example, I have a small fresh fruit salad after my evening salad, but although the porridge has carbs and the fruit does, they don't really add up to the 25-50g that people on here talk about, am I doing something wrong?

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have lost 17lb so far on low carbs but I kinda lose 2lb then add 1 even though all I eat iOS a small bowl of porridge each morning then I eat two salads a day, one with cheese and one with fish for example, I have a small fresh fruit salad after my evening salad, but although the porridge has carbs and the fruit does, they don't really add up to the 25-50g that people on here talk about, am I doing something wrong?

You might be surprised how much carbs fruit and porridge contain , could you weigh them and use the link in my signature to myfitnesspal to see exactly how mny..

Would also be handy if you could post a typical days food , just to see if there any hidden "bad" foods.....:)

Very good post here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/female-not-losing-weight-on-lchf-fyi.87823/#post-995576

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Don't worry - no one advises that low carbing needs intermittent fasting at the same time.
At least, i hope they don't. They are two different things.

However, a lot of people who low carb have found that some form of intermittent fasting works for them as well. But it definitely isn't obligatory!

Agree 100% , , go to the first post (vivs diet) of this thread and just follow that and you wont go far wrong, just use the link in my sig to work out your daily calorie requirements, as I said in my other post , just LCHF for now (to see if it works for you) and just adjust it , you may need to lower your calories or carbs, but it will work.......

Ignore anything else for now , just do one thing at a time :)

Reactions: 3 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Re the fruit salad and porridge. This would really spike me so I can only suggest that you test with your meter before eating and 2 hours after to see if it affects your bg numbers.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might be surprised how much carbs fruit and porridge contain , could you weigh them and use the link in my signature to myfitnesspal to see exactly how mny..

Would also be handy if you could post a typical days food , just to see if there any hidden "bad" foods.....:)

Very good post here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/female-not-losing-weight-on-lchf-fyi.87823/#post-995576

Hi, I thought I would give you today's food although it's not quite typical because I normally eat salads but fancied hot veg, chicken and gravy.

B 65g porridge with skimmed milk
L Bacon, eggs and beans
S steamed chicken, cauliflower,broccoli,greens, leeks,carrots,gravy.
Dessert half Apple,half pear, 1 satsuma.

Normally I have,
L salad with cheddar cheese
S salad with fish
Dessert half Apple, Half pear,1 satsuma.

I used to have Honey dew melon as well with my fruit salad but cut that out when I read it was full of sugar!

What do you think I should change ? I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks Mags.

PS. I only take 1x500 metformin tab a day.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I thought I would give you today's food although it's not quite typical because I normally eat salads but fancied hot veg, chicken and gravy.

L Bacon, eggs and beans

Normally I have,
S salad with fish

I used to have Honey dew melon as well with my fruit salad but cut that out when I read it was full of sugar!

What do you think I should change ? I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks Mags.

PS. I only take 1x500 metformin tab a day.

Hi Mags , the porridge is bad , worse than I thought , anywhere between 40 and 80 grams of carbs, if I take a average one from my fitness pal (quaker) these are the stats , bear in mind this is for 40 g and you are having 65g :(

Quaker - Porridge Oats (40g) With 300ml Skimmed Milk

Calories 255
Total Fat 4 g
Total Carbs 39 g:wideyed:
Sugars 15 g
Protein 15 g

Half med apple 11g carbs, half pear 6g, satsuma 12g ...so 30g carbs most of which is sugar......:wideyed:

Also baked beans , I love them but they are really high in carbs..............

But its not super bad in total , :) but if it were me I would scrap the porridge completely, and the beans:)

And change the fruits for more diabetic friendly ones, a lot of us have a handful of mixed berries with full fat greek yogurt, (packs of frozen berries at most supermarkets last ages) and Fage yogurt is very good (but make sure its full fat)

Full fat anything really as it usually means less sugar

Also watch out for some salad stuff , again hidden carbs/sugar

Even your , steamed chicken, cauliflower,broccoli,greens, leeks,carrots,gravy has hidden stuff :) carrots are high in sugar and the gravy could be depending how it was made :)

Best bet is use myfitnesspal (its free) to weed out stuff until you know what is bad..............

I know it sound like you cant have anything, but honestly once you figure out what you cant have and substitute it, its really easy to stay below 30 g carbs a day...

Heres my brekky this morning very LCHF :)

Breakfast.......................... Calories Carbs Fat Protein
No Name - Sunflower Oil, 1 tsp 40 0 5 0
Mushrooms - Mushroom, 50 g 11 2 0 1
Tesco Market Value - Cooking Bacon, 80 g 224 1 18 13
Tesco Butchers Choice - Pork and Leek Sausages, 1 Sausages 135 3 10 7
Eggs Scambled - Egg, 2 large egg (50g) 140 0 9 12

Totals ..Carbs 6g, Fat 42g, Protein 34g

Reactions: 8 people

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mags , the porridge is bad , worse than I thought , anywhere between 40 and 80 grams of carbs, if I take a average one from my fitness pal (quaker) these are the stats , bear in mind this is for 40 g and you are having 65g :(

Quaker - Porridge Oats (40g) With 300ml Skimmed Milk

Calories 255
Total Fat 4 g
Total Carbs 39 g:wideyed:
Sugars 15 g
Protein 15 g

Half med apple 11g carbs, half pear 6g, satsuma 12g ...so 30g carbs most of which is sugar......:wideyed:

Also baked beans , I love them but they are really high in carbs..............

But its not super bad in total , :) but if it were me I would scrap the porridge completely, and the beans:)

And change the fruits for more diabetic friendly ones, a lot of us have a handful of mixed berries with full fat greek yogurt, (packs of frozen berries at most supermarkets last ages) and Fage yogurt is very good (but make sure its full fat)

Full fat anything really as it usually means less sugar

Also watch out for some salad stuff , again hidden carbs/sugar

Even your , steamed chicken, cauliflower,broccoli,greens, leeks,carrots,gravy has hidden stuff :) carrots are high in sugar and the gravy could be depending how it was made :)

Best bet is use myfitnesspal (its free) to weed out stuff until you know what is bad..............

I know it sound like you cant have anything, but honestly once you figure out what you cant have and substitute it, its really easy to stay below 30 g carbs a day...

Heres my brekky this morning very LCHF :)

Breakfast.......................... Calories Carbs Fat Protein
No Name - Sunflower Oil, 1 tsp 40 0 5 0
Mushrooms - Mushroom, 50 g 11 2 0 1
Tesco Market Value - Cooking Bacon, 80 g 224 1 18 13
Tesco Butchers Choice - Pork and Leek Sausages, 1 Sausages 135 3 10 7
Eggs Scambled - Egg, 2 large egg (50g) 140 0 9 12

Totals ..Carbs 6g, Fat 42g, Protein 34g
Thank you so much for your reply, I will look at the link you recommend and see what I can come up with as alternatives.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your reply, I will look at the link you recommend and see what I can come up with as alternatives.
Just something I don't understand, in my book Carbs and Cals porridge for example says for a bowl of porridge weight 75g is 11g of carbs? Or am I getting confused ? Admittedly it was with semi skimmed milk and I have skimmed.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just something I don't understand, in my book Carbs and Cals porridge for example says for a bowl of porridge weight 75g is 11g of carbs? Or am I getting confused ? Admittedly it was with semi skimmed milk and I have skimmed.

sorry Mags did not spot your post until today........

Do you make your porridge from scratch................ because my collins gem says the same ??? , but my packet of scotch porridge oats in the back of the cupboard says way higher, probably easier to read on the back of the packet you use................

Just looked that low amount is from unadulterated porridge made from scratch "Traditional whole oats"

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry Mags did not spot your post until today........

Do you make your porridge from scratch................ because my collins gem says the same ??? , but my packet of scotch porridge oats in the back of the cupboard says way higher, probably easier to read on the back of the packet you use................

Just looked that low amount is from unadulterated porridge made from scratch "Traditional whole oats"
Thanks for your reply,it's just a packet of oats from aldi or lidl that I normally eat, don't know what is in it, best to look I guess! Haha.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skimmed and semi skimmed milk contain sugar in the form of lactose. Look instead at using full fat milk as it should have less carbs, and the fat's much better for you on a low carb diet. Cream is even better low carb wise. More fat = less sugar!!

To work out the number of carbs in a portion of food you sometimes have to do a little maths. Most foods will give the nutritional content per 100grams, so for example Scoots porridge oats contains 60 grams carbs per 100 grams weight, so a portion of 75grams will contain 60/100 x 75 = 45g carbs, and their recommended portion size of 40g weight would contain 60/100*40 =24g carbs.

1 litre skimmed milk contains 50g(!!) carbs - all of which are sugars, so 100ml will contain 5g carbs, and 200ml contain 10g carbs

So the number of carbs you're eating depends on both your portion size and the number of grams of carbs there are in the weight of that portion, so: 40g weight porridge with 200ml skimmed milks is 24 +10 = 34g carbs; or with less milk e.g. 100ml at 5g worth of carbs = 24 +5 =29g carbs total. (Both of hich could be close to a day's worth of carbs on a very low carb diet! )

Something you need to be very much aware of is that for many foods the portion size quoted by the manufacturers can be unrealistically small, so as to make them look better nutritionally. :eek::eek:

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
L Bacon, eggs and beans

Normally I have,
S salad with fish

To modify the diet that you are eating to a lower carb version I would have

B Full fat greek yoghurt with organic flax seeds and berries
(Actually I'd change breakfast food to an omelette or bacon and egg or smoked salmon and scrambled egg)

L Bacon, egg mushrooms and a grilled or tinned tomato

D Fried chicken breast, gently fried in butter, add chopped shallot and gently fry, add big dollop of double cream and stir to make a lovely creamy sauce. all veg as described. or try microwaving a carton of Seriously Strong chedder cheese spread with double cream, makes a lovely cheese sauce.

I'd try to get out of the habit of having a dessert, but if you must finish a meal with something sweet, go for a piece of 85% Chocolate or a small bowl of berries with double cream or mascarpone (check the carb count, some are higher than others.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I've been following Viv's guidelines for 2wks now and my BG levels are now in the normal range-hurrah! So far I've dropped 9lbs in weight with another 3stone 7lbs to go thanks for your clear easy to follow directions Viv, I feel so well
Thought I'd update 6 months on. I am able to keep my blood sugar level down following this diet. I came off all diabetic medication in November 2015 my last HbA1c was 40 (or 5.8%) which is in the normal range. Good luck to everyone trying the lchf lifestyle, it works for me

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just revisited this thread and remembered how good the information is .