Kidneys

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh sorry to hear this. Did they say what's causing it? Are you type1 or 2?

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I have chronic renal failure I asked what can I do and was told just keep your blood sugar low .

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need some help with your diet; I think low protein diets are recoimmended but not 100% sure to look it up.

viv

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
none
Keep readings as low as possible, cut protein by a quarter, protein is bad for the kidneys, it over works them. Avoid fat keep cholesterol down. Drink 2 litres of water a day.

Reactions: Kevin259

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Keep readings as low as possible, cut protein by a quarter, protein is bad for the kidneys, it over works them. Avoid fat keep cholesterol down. Drink 2 litres of water a day.
I agree with the moderating protein, would have my fluid intake higher than 2 litres but as to viv's fat advice : fat chance! as for cholesterol, if you mean blood cholesterol, which type of cholesterol? Cholesterol is a required bodily repair substance.(too low can be dangerous!!)
p.s. am CKD 3/4

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have high blood pressure and when I experimented with going off my medication for that, my blood tests showed early signs of declining kidney function, so I went back on them. My understanding is that untreated high blood pressure is bad for the kidneys, so if I were you I would make sure that was under control too.

Here is a website you may find helpful:
http://www.kidney.org.uk/

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I have high blood pressure and when I experimented with going off my medication for that, my blood tests showed early signs of declining kidney function, so I went back on them. My understanding is that untreated high blood pressure is bad for the kidneys, so if I were you I would make sure that was under control too.

Here is a website you may find helpful:
http://www.kidney.org.uk/
I am beginning to get sceptical about all the complications that result from high blood pressure, and not just for diabetes. There are so many drugs marketed now for cholesterol effects, arrhythmia, coumadin for blood thinness, and tons of drugs for blood pressure. Sometimes the effects of the drugs are more dangerous than the condition. Statistics comparing these diseases would be great. See Pub Med.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am beginning to get sceptical about all the complications that result from high blood pressure, and not just for diabetes. There are so many drugs marketed now for cholesterol effects, arrhythmia, coumadin for blood thinness, and tons of drugs for blood pressure. Sometimes the effects of the drugs are more dangerous than the condition. Statistics comparing these diseases would be great. See Pub Med.
I can only comment on the ACE inhibitor drug that I take for high BP. As I understand it, uncontrolled high BP is far worse than this drug. Side effects are rare but I understand the most common one is a cough. Obviously people who have this to a bad degree should take a different drug.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just been told my kidneys are showing signs of stress , but no one has said what to do

Commonly ACE inhibitors are the first line of treatment in proteinuria. I have been able to control my kidney disease without medications but I would be careful to keep checking it to make sure it isn't progressing .

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can only comment on the ACE inhibitor drug that I take for high BP. As I understand it, uncontrolled high BP is far worse than this drug. Side effects are rare but I understand the most common one is a cough. Obviously people who have this to a bad degree should take a different drug.

My sister took ACE inhibitors for her high blood pressure but she got very bad rhinitis (Runny nose/sniffles) and had to stop them and although the sniffles got a lot better they have have never gone completely

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Commonly ACE inhibitors are the first line of treatment in proteinuria. I have been able to control my kidney disease without medications but I would be careful to keep checking it to make sure it isn't progressing .
I am on an ACE Inhibitor, Ramipiril for Diabetic Nephropathy (kidney damage). My blood pressure and general results are better now:).

Reactions: 3 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on an ACE Inhibitor, Ramipiril for Diabetic Nephropathy (kidney damage). My blood pressure and general results are better now:).
Hi @eddie1968 do you mind if I ask how long you have been on the old ramp and if all results were positive or if there were any negatives?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @eddie1968 do you mind if I ask how long you have been on the old ramp and if all results were positive or if there were any negatives?
I've been Type 2 diabetic for 5 years. Initially on max doses of Metformin and Gliclazide. Both had bad side effects and didn't do much for my initial HbA1c of 112 mmol/mol. Now been on Humulin M3 insulin for over a year now. Kidney damage started to show last year with protein in urine increasing. My albumin/creatine ratio rose to 35 which means my kidney filters are damaged (a positive result is >30. Now after taking Ramipril 10mg for a while now and my albumin/creatine ratio (ACR) has stabilized.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I should have added my HbA1c dropped to 58 mmol/mol recently at the Clinic. My blood pressure now averages 115/75 too, well down. My LDL and HDL cholesterol levels are better but don't have the exact figures to hand, would need to look them out.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I should have added my HbA1c dropped to 58 mmol/mol recently at the Clinic. My blood pressure now averages 115/75 too, well down. My LDL and HDL cholesterol levels are better but don't have the exact figures to hand, would need to look them out.
That's great that it dropped to 58. Keep up the good work :)

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm also on Ramipril for Hypertension, although mine is inherited. My normal bp is about 135/75 which isn't ideal but isn't terrible either

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been Type 2 diabetic for 5 years. Initially on max doses of Metformin and Gliclazide. Both had bad side effects and didn't do much for my initial HbA1c of 112 mmol/mol. Now been on Humulin M3 insulin for over a year now. Kidney damage started to show last year with protein in urine increasing. My albumin/creatine ratio rose to 35 which means my kidney filters are damaged (a positive result is >30. Now after taking Ramipril 10mg for a while now and my albumin/creatine ratio (ACR) has stabilized.
Thanks Eddie - what measurement is the 30/35? mine is 3.7 mg/mmol - and should be under 2.5 allegedly. I don't even consider my chol as they don't test for trigs at my surgery and I'm not concerned with ratios. Have the ACEs had any side effects or AOK?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Eddie - what measurement is the 30/35? mine is 3.7 mg/mmol - and should be under 2.5 allegedly. I don't even consider my chol as they don't test for trigs at my surgery and I'm not concerned with ratios. Have the ACEs had any side effects or AOK?
It's a specific protein called albumin. Normal kidneys do not filter this out into your urine. Creatine is part of your urine. The test is the ratio of albumin to creatine which is abbreviated to ACR. If your result is above 3 mmol then you have kidney damage caused by diabetes which means your filters in your kidneys are not working properly. The other test is you eGFR which should be >60. If you want to know more read up on diabetes kidney disease (Diabetic Nephropathy).

Last edited:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm also on Ramipril for Hypertension, although mine is inherited. My normal bp is about 135/75 which isn't ideal but isn't terrible either
Ramipril and other ACE Inhibitors are used for hypertension, heart failure and diabetic nephropathy. If you're on it for high BP then your on it for that alone.