struggling with food

jim woodward

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
hi,new to this.only been diagnosed 4 weeks ago.strugling a bit.is there any type of bread i can eat,and if there is what brand names.forgot to say type 2.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As bread is carb you need to look at the carb content in a loaf and keep daily carb levels down. Some posters buy Burgen bread. Personally I buy a multiseed loaf and try not to eat too much! Wholegrain bread is absorbed more slowly, but still has the same carb content as white bread.

Reactions: 4 people

Heatherlou18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wednesdays
Hi!

I always try to have whole grain bread as when it's broken down it has a lower sugar content and is better for the body - just be conscious of labels as brown bread isn't necessarily whole grain - make sure it doesn't have refined sugar.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Many people recommend the lidl high protein roll. It has 10.5g of carbs per roll, but half a roll is very filling. I have actually tried it, it was good and didn't cause a nasty spike.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hello and welcome to the forum. At the moment Lidl high protein low carb rolls seem to be the favourite, I haven't tried them as don't have a Lidl store but a caution before you try.
Have you got a meter to test your levels? It's the most important thing for you to have as it will show you which foods are safe for you to eat. Your GP proberbly won't give you one as the nhs has cut back on issueing them for type 2 (as we don't need to test) but it's the only way to be sure of which foods spike you. The most popular on here is the Codefree available from Home Health online they also sell the testing strips and are cheaper than elsewhere. A meter will cost £12.99 and strips are about 5.99 for 50 You also need to ditch the high carbs of bread potatoes pasta and rice, have a look at past forums on low carb high fat or lchf, you will find lots of recipes here and most importantly guidance, help and friendship. You have maybe been told to carry on eating carbs at every meal, eat lots of fruit etc. Read the earlier posts and you will find that it's best to avoid the nhs advice, follow this forum and the suggestions, you will lose weight, lower your levels and soon be in control of your diabetes. Daisy 1 will soon contact you with some good advice read it all then ask questions lots of them, the people here will always have an answer and you will get all the help you need

Last edited by a moderator:

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Tagging @daisy1 for some newbie info, thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@jim woodward

Hello Jim and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Try not to eat too much bread. Ask more questions and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
If you have a Lidl near you I would definitely recommend the Hight Protein rolls. They are filling and only raise my bg by 1 point so I have one most days. There has been a lot of discussion on these rolls on the forum so I suggest you have read around but definitely 'eat to your meter' as we are all different and what doesn't spike me may do you, or vice versa.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Holland and Barrett sell a bread mix by. Sukrin which is sunflower and pumpkin seed. This has 1 g carbohydrate per slice. But it is expensive and makes up into a tiny loaf. It tastes good as it is full of seeds and you only have to add water and cook. I've bought a bread mix by ugg foods which was recommended on here but I haven't tried it yet. :)