Courgettes...and rises!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I found that peanuts raise my levels up to 18 hours later.

This weekend and one day last weekend I had courgettes.. Love them. However, this is the only thing diffferent to our wekends of meat or fishcake with veg (not salads). Normal veg is brocolli, leeks, beans, cabbage. Every morning after courgettes at 6 or 7pm I have raised levels.. 12-14 hours later.

Does anybody else have this problem? I can eliminate stress or sleepless nights etc as I'm totally relaxed and sleeping so lovely without aspartame.

I have Slow Colonic which may have an impact with courgettes.. But they haven't blocked me up or knotted into a tennis ball lump i my stomach and stomach still feels and sounds normal.

Does anybody else experience highs after courgettes? Just can't think what else it can be. Normally wake on 4-6 levels but these mornings after coyrgettes have been 12-14's!!! Nothing else changed at all.. Normal fruit that I have daily, normal nuts and normal darc choc...

Insulin ok as it works to bring me down...no alchohol..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that peanuts raise my levels up to 18 hours later.

This weekend and one day last weekend I had courgettes.. Love them. However, this is the only thing diffferent to our wekends of meat or fishcake with veg (not salads). Normal veg is brocolli, leeks, beans, cabbage. Every morning after courgettes at 6 or 7pm I have raised levels.. 12-14 hours later.

Does anybody else have this problem? I can eliminate stress or sleepless nights etc as I'm totally relaxed and sleeping so lovely without aspartame.

I have Slow Colonic which may have an impact with courgettes.. But they haven't blocked me up or knotted into a tennis ball lump i my stomach and stomach still feels and sounds normal.

Does anybody else experience highs after courgettes? Just can't think what else it can be. Normally wake on 4-6 levels but these mornings after coyrgettes have been 12-14's!!! Nothing else changed at all.. Normal fruit that I have daily, normal nuts and normal darc choc...

Insulin ok as it works to bring me down...no alchohol..

Would a proving experiment be to do exactly the same next weekend as this last weekend, but not eat courgettes. Same food and activities, minus courgettes?

I think many people find their bloods profile differs on work/non-work days, so there may be other subtle things going on that aren't immediately clear. How long have you been eating courgettes at the weekends, and when did you notice this profile appearing?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs I hadn't put the two together but it sounds as though the issue with the peanuts is that they are transiting your bowels far more slowly than the average person and as a result you are seeing an impact.

I'd be really surprised if it was the courgettes lifting your blood levels significantly, even with slow transit. To get 10g of carbs from them you need to eat roughly a pound of them sauteed in oil. That's a huge portion.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@donnellysdogs I hadn't put the two together but it sounds as though the issue with the peanuts is that they are transiting your bowels far more slowly than the average person and as a result you are seeing an impact.

I'd be really surprised if it was the courgettes lifting your blood levels significantly, even with slow transit. To get 10g of carbs from them you need to eat roughly a pound of them sauteed in oil. That's a huge portion.

The peanuts were a separate issue. Not having them now.

It's been 3 meals of exactly the same food that we have ate all winter, all summer and no rises... Then the last 3 hot meals at weekends I've picked my courgettes, spiralised and bang... 12 hours after my levels are 14 at 7am from 5.2 or 5's pre bed.... Eating at 6 or 7pm. Levels have come down great to 6 using basal and bolus so it's not the insulin.

I think I may well not be able to tolerate courgettes either... As food generally takes about 3 days before shifting out of me I am wondering if certain foods reach a certain spot and just ferment and cause these rises.

My life is pretty routine I do pretty much the same activitys 7 days a week currently.

Just wondered as other people found rises with peanuts whether anybody else had same probs with courgettes. I do eat a lot on my plate!!! I know celeriac causes me problems too but this is pain in stomach not blood levels.

I'm so trying our more varieties of food nowadays, it just seems that certain ones are causing me problems. I guess some of it will be due to slow colonic transit, as when bunged up my levels rise horrendously along with the distended stomach.

Frustrating finding more foods may be affecting me. Salads, fish etc all ok. Normally meat n veg ok but wanting to try new things and either getting stomach pain or high levels after 12 hours is a nuisance...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The peanuts were a separate issue. Not having them now.

It's been 3 meals of exactly the same food that we have ate all winter, all summer and no rises... Then the last 3 hot meals at weekends I've picked my courgettes, spiralised and bang... 12 hours after my levels are 14 at 7am from 5.2 or 5's pre bed.... Eating at 6 or 7pm. Levels have come down great to 6 using basal and bolus so it's not the insulin.

I think I may well not be able to tolerate courgettes either... As food generally takes about 3 days before shifting out of me I am wondering if certain foods reach a certain spot and just ferment and cause these rises.

My life is pretty routine I do pretty much the same activitys 7 days a week currently.

Just wondered as other people found rises with peanuts whether anybody else had same probs with courgettes. I do eat a lot on my plate!!! I know celeriac causes me problems too but this is pain in stomach not blood levels.

I'm so trying our more varieties of food nowadays, it just seems that certain ones are causing me problems. I guess some of it will be due to slow colonic transit, as when bunged up my levels rise horrendously along with the distended stomach.

Frustrating finding more foods may be affecting me. Salads, fish etc all ok. Normally meat n veg ok but wanting to try new things and either getting stomach pain or high levels after 12 hours is a nuisance...

If I could just make a brief point.

I love my courgettes, so sympathise you may be having issues. Coincidentally, I have to be careful how many peanuts I eat, of how often I have them. They don't adversely impact on my bloods, but if I eat too many or too often, they give me tummy ache and create more interest in the loo. At one stage, years ago, I had something similar with tomatoes.

So, I'm just careful now not to have foods too repeatedly, in case I figuratively overdose. Could it be worth experimenting and giving the courgettes a rest for a couple of week, then try again?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If I could just make a brief point.

I love my courgettes, so sympathise you may be having issues. Coincidentally, I have to be careful how many peanuts I eat, of how often I have them. They don't adversely impact on my bloods, but if I eat too many or too often, they give me tummy ache and create more interest in the loo. At one stage, years ago, I had something similar with tomatoes.

So, I'm just careful now not to have foods too repeatedly, in case I figuratively overdose. Could it be worth experimenting and giving the courgettes a rest for a couple of week, then try again?

Will have to sell the beautiful courgettes in my garden!!!

Back to cabbage!!

Is a week apart counted as an overdose? We had one fairly medium courgette between us last night. The night before it was a small courgette each...

I'm going to be really mad if its another food I can't eat another food that I like-lol!!