What do you dislike most about diabetes? Is there anything you like?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The funny thing is that my nights are very easy to predict how my BG level will operate since I changed to Levemir. On Lantus I had much less predictability and it does affect sleep.
To be fair, my basal is actually okay over night. The main issue for me is that I like to eat late (or just end up doing so when stuck at work) and hate the fact that if I go to bed within a couple of hours after eating I'm not confident if I over or under estimated my bolus shots. I also used to enjoy a snack at night but find that more difficult now.

novarapid91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely the worst part is spontaneity. I always try to keep my sugars stable and test a lot and even something little like wanting a little bit of the cake that's passed around at work. I have to test sugars work out carbs inject before anything else. Whilst I try to not let it take over its pretty inevitable with diabetes it's always in the background. Eldorado I agree with you I tend to stick to similar meals and carb amounts and the same insulin dosages work for so long then bam! They no longer work. It's exhausting at times. But I refuse to get down about it because it's here whether I'm down or not. I've never really discussed diabetes with anyone as I don't know any diabetics; nice to know others feel the way I do

Reactions: 7 people

jgordon5

Following on from the 'would you take a cure' thread, I started thinking what are the things I dislike most about being diabetic?
Number 1 has to be the lack of spontaneity. It's just impossible to do almost anything without first considering 'what state am I in? Should I do a test first?' Definitely with driving and probably with almost everything else.
I'm used, after 35 long gruelling years of it, to the finger pricking and injections. That doesn't bother me although I still can't watch anyone else being given an injection. But what does make me cross about diabetes is that it's so sneaky. It can do much of its damage undetected. Working away on the quiet in the background causing mayhem.
Last but not least (and I've shortened my list considerably) is that I just know one day could be exactly like the previous ie I could eat exactly the same as yesterday and do exactly the same exercise, feel the same blah blah. But guess what? Would my BG tests be the same? No they wouldn't. So we never, ever ever just get a break from the watchfulness.
Is there anything I like? Ooooh I'd need a nano-frazzle to think about that.... Nope!
Absolutely agree, sometimes I would just like to eat something because I'd like to without thinking, "is it worth having to take more insulin"....or just walk out of the door without having to check insulin, test strips, BG level etc etc

But I was so ill before I was diagnosed, I'm truly grateful that I live in a country where I am able to manage it at least to a relatively good extent.

Reactions: 11 people

jgordon5

I think it's mainly having to think about what food to eat is the issue for most
That's really good. I find that if I go away for instance and what I eat and when I exercise changes, my BGs react by going all over the place even though I'm carb counting and doing all the usual things.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, the thinking is tiresome. Yesterday I was really busy and I was fed up with the mental effort diabetes takes - remembering to test my blood sugar, interpreting the results and acting if necessary, eating and having to think about carbs, choosing what kind of bolus to have (I'm on a pump), testing after I'd eaten, etc, etc.

Sometimes I just think I'd like that portion of my brain back! It's hard to forget about diabetes so it always takes up mental space when really I'd rather it didn't.

Reactions: 6 people

novarapid91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean there are times when I wish I could just forget I'm diabetic for the day but my healths too important to me. People without diabetes don't appreciate how easy the little things are

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The young lady in this video sums it all up on how frustrating type 1 can be:

Reactions: 12 people

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely the worst part is spontaneity. I always try to keep my sugars stable and test a lot and even something little like wanting a little bit of the cake that's passed around at work. I have to test sugars work out carbs inject before anything else. Whilst I try to not let it take over its pretty inevitable with diabetes it's always in the background. Eldorado I agree with you I tend to stick to similar meals and carb amounts and the same insulin dosages work for so long then bam! They no longer work. It's exhausting at times. But I refuse to get down about it because it's here whether I'm down or not. I've never really discussed diabetes with anyone as I don't know any diabetics; nice to know others feel the way I do

Hey Novorapid91, I am pretty much like you I find it all a bit overwhelming at times and I do pretty much stick to the same routine and foods. I also do not know any diabetcs so have never really discussed my diabetes before. Only found this site recently and there are some great folks on here with good advice and support. So you are defo not alone. Anything you would like to discuss please feel free to do so. Almost certainly someone on here will have encountered the same situation and will be able to help

Reactions: 13 people

novarapid91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean there are times when I wish I could just forget I'm diabetic for the day but my healths too important to me. People without diabetes don't appreciate how easy the little things are

Reactions: 4 people

novarapid91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Novorapid91, I am pretty much like you I find it all a bit overwhelming at times and I do pretty much stick to the same routine and foods. I also do not know any diabetcs so have never really discussed my diabetes before. Only found this site recently and there are some great folks on here with good advice and support. So you are defo not alone. Anything you would like to discuss please feel free to do so. Almost certainly someone on here will have encountered the same situation and will be able to help

Thank you smc likewise if I can help I will! Iv always said I don't want to be known or defined by my diabetes so iv surrounded myself with people who don't have it to feel normal if that makes sense. Diabetes is normal it's me but I guess iv avoided being reminded of it. Having support does help tho :)

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually enjoy testing my glucose levels because I like to see what patterns are happening as I do lots of running and cycling. Plus, one of my friends is massive into LCHF/ketosis so it's interesting talking to him about my patterns, levels of intensity and foods. Guess I'm becoming a bit of a geek :woot:

Reactions: 8 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I actually enjoy testing my glucose levels because I like to see what patterns are happening ... Guess I'm becoming a bit of a geek :woot:

Err... don't you mean "freak" ? :bag: :hilarious: :facepalm: :stop:

Reactions: 2 people

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Before diagnosis I used to think I had lazyitis, I dropped playing football and Tae Kwon Do, played less and less of my other sports and even my garden my pride and joy I took less and less interest in its upkeep

I have resumed my other sports (but not football or TKD) and not on the scale I used to play because the one big thing I hate about diabetes is getting tired way to soon, 15 minutes in the garden knackers me now and Squash Tennis and Badminton is an hour max and then I have had more than enough and the after effects can last a few days, so in a nutshell I hate being tired

Reactions: 4 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He is a teacher :) but geek does sound better :D Hi teacher :)

Haha :) - I guess I need to set a good example to all those secondary school pupils and I know I'll go through stages in the future where I will feel down about the condition and hard to explain certain levels but I'm just glad I have accepted it all and doing everything I use to do with just a little more organisation and thinking ahead :)

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Haha :) - I guess I need to set a good example to all those secondary school pupils and I know I'll go through stages in the future where I will feel down about the condition and hard to explain certain levels but I'm just glad I have accepted it all and doing everything I use to do with just a little more organisation and thinking ahead :)

Thumbs up, are you on the 6 week break now ?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A positive!! Unlike all my friends and family I don't have any fillings - I put this down to sugar free drinks from the age of 8 :-D

Doesn't come close to out-weighing all the negatives though...