Newly diagnosed and totally confused

khorlo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello fellow members.

A couple of months ago i was diagnosed with type 2 and almost imediatelly i went onto a low carb diet only no medication .This was sugested by my doctor for a few months to see how i progress on diet only.

I have started to check my glucose levels yesterday at 2 pm and my reading was 8.7.Up until that point i only had a banana at 9 in the morning.
At 5 pm i checked the blood again and the reading was 18.4 more than 2 hours after lunch when i had leek and potato soup .

At 6pm i only had a few grapes and nothing after until 9 am this morning when i had a banana.An hour later i checked my BS and was 15.9 .At 11 i had weetabix wholeweat and an hour later i checked my BS again and it was 16.6.

My diet is made up mainly of salads , brown rice ,brown pasta,eggs, beans, fish, the occasional cheese, light soups.

I have found this guide bellow being very informative and i seem to be doing pretty much what is being advised here.
What i haven't done is to check my BS before and after every single meal.But for that i would need unlimited number of strips.

Will i end up on medication?That is something i would like to avoid if possible.But so far this hasn't worked to well.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number ofdifferent types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes...................................

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi Khorlo, and welcome. I'm only a month or so ahead of you - diagnosed at end of May. I'm sure that one of the regulars will be along shortly to post some very informative links for you, but in the meantime...

The food you've described is not low-carb. Bananas, brown pasta, brown rice, weetabix all contain significant amounts of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates convert to sugar during digestion and that's possibly why your BG is spiking so high.

I was very similar when I started changing my diet, and it's only from listening to the advice I got here that I made different changes so that I was truly low-carb and that's made such a difference in the last couple of weeks. I no longer touch bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereal or most fruits. Instead I eat eggs, quality meat, fish, cheese, olive oil, nuts and leafy veg. My BG is now below 5 most of the time and spikes to less than 6 after food. My energy levels are stable and I'm losing weight as well.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome, I think you are quite close to getting an eating plan that will reduce your blood sugars consistently and enable you to avoid medications. Many of the foods you listed that you eat are foods I have seen mentioned on the forums as spiking people's blood sugars, being too high in carbs or fruit sugars. There are lots of tasty alternatives and recipes on the forum.

You will probably want to focus on increasing your fats, and something that has always worked for me is eating some protein with every meal or snack. My breakfast always includes a boiled egg and often yoghurt and milk. I often have cheese with a snack too.

It's late at night here and I should go to bed but I wanted to welcome you and let you know you are on the right track.

I am sure others will come in soon with links to useful threads, and more ideas about what to eat and not eat. You are using your meter to guide you, which is really important.

Good stuff! :)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome khorlo
@daisy1 will be along soon with her information for new members
To get your levels down you need to make some changes to your diet, what you previously thought of as healthy food is doing you no favours now that you are diabetic. White/brown/wholemeal bread pasta and rice are all carbohydrates and will raise your sugar levels. Potatoes baked,boiled,roasted or in soup will do the same, fruit is full of sugar and needs to be treated with caution.
Have a look at this site, it should give you some ideas
http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carbohydrate-diets/

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Welcome khorlo
@daisy1 will be along soon with her information for new members
@khorlo

The above information is included in the link you quoted. I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you want and someone will be able to help.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't eat grapes which is a shane, I love the seedless type, as they put up my numbers, same with most fruit, so I go without

Reactions: 3 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
There is one bit of equipment more useful to Type 2's than a bloud glucose meter a magnifying glass to read nutritional info on the label.

Reactions: 2 people